3year rule or 5 year?? for N-400

no if ur divorced then u can forget the 3 years ur gona have to go with the 5 years..3 years is only if ur still married aside then its 5 years buddy boii!!

Jen was divorce from her 1st marriage in her home country. I believe her marriage to her US citizen spouse is her 2nd marriage - therefore for immigration purposes they always ask you for any divorce decrees of previous marriages.

3year rule or 5year?? N-400

hi! thank you very much for all of you:)
I am really appreciate to all of the post.

now I am thinking to apply it with 5years because

> with the 3 year rule if divorce or death ends the marriage or you live apart before you're interviewed (which could be years if you're stuck in name check), your case will be denied. Still, if you get a super-anal one it will be equally difficult either way.

only I can imagne that if we have to be a part is something will happend to my husband or me,( even thought I don't want to think if my husband would gone.... )

>I believe applicants under the 5 year PR residency rul also have to provide evidence of marriage and of all previous marriages ending.
So I think you will have to get the copy of the divorce document in any case.

I was trying to get the proof of divorce paper when I go back to my country in next trip because I wanted to go there for my elder aunt's surgery's day so I can help ancle ( 80 years old, they don't have a child)another elder aunt and my mother.but I decided to go get it soon.
I just wanted to wait to go over there when ticket is not such high season.

>Jen was divorce from her 1st marriage in her home country. I believe her marriage to her US citizen spouse is her 2nd marriage - therefore for immigration purposes they always ask you for any divorce decrees of previous marriages.

YES! my 1st marriage is in my home country.
and my 2nd husband US born citizen and we are still in married.
I thought I bring the paper at interview...<-Just trying to save ticket money!

ok! I decided to apply as 5 years:)
( but still I am geting geather all of paper work for the interview like family photo/
bank account/ insurance/ Tax retarn /married dc/ etc )

thank you very much again for all of your help. all if post is really help me a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it depends on a DO, but all my friends who have had interview recently were asked to take a spouse to the interviewl.

I applied under under the 3 years marriage rule and I can assure you that NOWHERE on the interview letter does it state that you need to bring your spouse. Furthermore the spouse is not allowed in the interview room. Documents is all they need as proof of marriage.

I applied under under the 3 years marriage rule and I can assure you that NOWHERE on the interview letter does it state that you need to bring your spouse. Furthermore the spouse is not allowed in the interview room. Documents is all they need as proof of marriage.

It does not mean I am wrong. I am talking about my experience and my friends were required to bring their spouses and that was mentioned in the interview lettters. It's not a single case. Glad it was easier for you.

5 year. Marriage-based N400 involves an additional hassle taking your spouse to the interview. Plus, they have to be sure that you are married up until you take an oath.
I do not think that you have to take your spouse to the interview...