3 yrs or 5 yrs?

Rosie18

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone I became a LPR under the category (F16) as an unmarried daughter of a US citizen my question is or rather questions are:
1-Can I marry now? or is it better to wait a few months? years?

The father of my son is a US citizen ( why didnt I marry him instead of getting through my parent? LONG STORY)
2-Can I apply for US citizenship after 3 years of marriage or do I have to wait 5 yrs?

3-( I dont know if this is a dumb question if so please I aks for your apology) would the status on my GC (F16) change if I get married?

Thanks so much in advance and have a good day!

Rosie18 said:
Can I marry now? or is it better to wait a few months? years?

You can get married whenever you want.

The father of my son is a US citizen ( why didnt I marry him instead of getting through my parent? LONG STORY) Can I apply for US citizenship after 3 years of marriage or do I have to wait 5 yrs?

That depends if you are going to marry him or not.

I dont know if this is a dumb question if so please I aks for your apology) would the status on my GC (F16) change if I get married?

Why would it? That's the category you obtained it under, nothing more.

This sounds a very interesting question - not as straightforward as TheRealCanadian replied. If category doesn't change (even she marries a citizen), she is eligible for citizenship in 5 years. You are eligible in 3 years only if you get green card through marrying citizen, isn't that right?

TheRealCanadian said:
Why would it? That's the category you obtained it under, nothing more.