3 yr Diploma + 3 Yr BE

Hi ebi2006,

Here are my 140 details:

Received Date: Nov 06, 2006

Notice Date: Dec 04, 2006

How come my Lin starts with Lin 07046 (46th day of year 2007)

instead of Lin 06338 (338th day of year 2006)

Any clues?

smog said:
Hi,

I have a 3 yr diploma in Mechanical engineering (Bombay, India) and a BE in Chemical engineering from university of Bombay (India). However After completing Diploma one gets admitted to the second year directly when starting your BE course (First year is waived).

My I-140 has been filed a couple of months ago in the EB2 category and it is at NSC.

I have over 10 years of work exp.

Just Curious to know if anybody else has Diploma and degree in engineering?

what are the chances of RFE on education? Will the NSC understand this?

Any Advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Smog

Hi Smog,
I have Diploma and 3 yrs engg.. I got approval after RFE. You can search on this forum on my id. You will get lots of postings on this. Mine is EB3 and that is why I survived it seems. For Eb2 not sure what they will consider? But anyway goodluck..
Thanks
KK

tammy2 said:
Single degree problem comes because some degrees are issued at the end of 15 years. e.g B.A. ,B.Sc, B.COM. So people usually add one year courses or M.A. M.Sc etc to show it the equivalent 16 years of education. The problem here the degree was issued at the end of 15 years not after 16 years as in with most U.S. degrees. Problem comes mainly because not using proper wording during the Labor certification or Substitute Labors. Some people came out with solution of showing that last three years of education is equivalent of 4 years of US education.
This is happening particular with NSC. TSC is quite linient with this. I have not seen this is working with Nebraska.

But in your case case your degree is essentially a four year degree. One year you got the exemption because you studied one year extra during your diploma. So you got you degree at end of 16 years and your University says this degree is conferred at the end of 16 years. So you should not have the problem.

For EB2 my gut feeling is you cannot combine education to show as single degree.. I have gone through hello while combining my education.. just because of eb3 I was able to succeed with an excellent educational evaluation from Trustforte. If we can combine education I would have applied in EB2 have gotten my GC long long back as my PD is Dec 2001. If you have any information please let me know I will apply PERM in EB2 and port my date from EB3. Thanks for any info.
KK

ebi2006 said:
LIN - Nebraska Service Center
06159 , 159th day of year 2006, which means that your notice date is May 08th 2006. You have filed it on 05/05 and the notice date on your receipt is 05/08.

5XXXX - is your application number

I think you should call up NSC and find out about your case. NSC was processing 05/08 more than a month ago. The previous NSC - EB3 processing dates were 05/11 and 05/08. It's 05/30 now. So technically you have crossed the 30 day period and can call up NSC and find out about your case.
thank you very much. I will speak to my lawyer before I make a call to them.

Do you know lawyer should make a call or I can make it directly (or does it matter? )

thank u

Krish Krish,

EB2 or EB3 is not decided by education alone.

There is

a) Progressive Experience

b) Section 14 and 15 in the ETA 750

c) Good Lawyer

d) Evaluation stating 4 year B.Engg (India) is euivalent of 4 year Engg.
degree (US)

If your evaluation states 3 year Engg. Degree, then yes, it is very confusing to the USCIS officials and the RFE was justified.

Evaluation must mention 4 year degree, that is what it actually is, just because we diploma holders get admitted directly to second year doesn't make it a 3 year degree program. we still have a graduate degree after 16 years of education and that is the Bottom line. 16 years of education before graduation.

Having said that, I want to thank you for making me aware of your case. I am expecting a RFE and have started talking to an evaluator already.

But there was light at the end of the tunnel in your case, so I am hoping it won't be a dead end for me.

My uncertainty was the only reason for me posting my deg/Dipl issue on this website.

Meraharapatta, any thoughts?

mgupta2050 said:
thank you very much. I will speak to my lawyer before I make a call to them.

Do you know lawyer should make a call or I can make it directly (or does it matter? )

thank u

You are welcome. It is always better if your attorney calls up NSC and finds out about your case as he is the person who applied on your behalf. I think you can also try contacting and I have read many on this forum have contacted NSC directly. You can try your luck.

kriskish said:
For EB2 my gut feeling is you cannot combine education to show as single degree.. I have gone through hello while combining my education.. just because of eb3 I was able to succeed with an excellent educational evaluation from Trustforte. If we can combine education I would have applied in EB2 have gotten my GC long long back as my PD is Dec 2001. If you have any information please let me know I will apply PERM in EB2 and port my date from EB3. Thanks for any info.
KK

In his case it is not combination of degree. Combination comes into picture if they give you degree at the end of 15 years. Here he has 16-year education before the graduation. It is nothing to do with number of years in degree. Take for example in UK they have 3 year degree but admission requires 13 years of education. That is the reason Nebraska accepts UK three-year degree without murmur.

smog & number30

You guys are right

Whats important is number years that are required to get a bachelors degree.

We have to prove that a 3 year diploma is pre-requisite for getting admission to 2 nd year in BE.

That can be either done by education evaluators
OR
you can submit transcripts/marksheets from your BE degree

In my case, I submitted my BE transcripts which had course details of all 4 year as well as marks that I got in each semister from 2 year to 4 year.
Transcripts also mentions that I was admmited directly to 2 year after diploma.I really banking on this document as its issued by my college.
Even after providing all these details which proves that its 4 year degree if INS comes back with 3 year degree RFE,then I will have to submit detailed
education evaluation.

meraharapatta said:
smog & number30

You guys are right

Whats important is number years that are required to get a bachelors degree.

We have to prove that a 3 year diploma is pre-requisite for getting admission to 2 nd year in BE.

That can be either done by education evaluators
OR
you can submit transcripts/marksheets from your BE degree

In my case, I submitted my BE transcripts which had course details of all 4 year as well as marks that I got in each semister from 2 year to 4 year.
Transcripts also mentions that I was admmited directly to 2 year after diploma.I really banking on this document as its issued by my college.
Even after providing all these details which proves that its 4 year degree if INS comes back with 3 year degree RFE,then I will have to submit detailed
education evaluation.

Hi Guys,
I really appreciate your confidence on USCIS. Especially with Nebraska service center. With all my experience I can just say please don't assume anything. Later it will haunt you. For EB2 especially there should be single source degree. If you search for breaking news archive in www.immigration-law.com you will find uscis memo distinguishing EB2 , EB3 and Single source degree. Not to scare anyone.. but have gone through this hell and lucky to be survived..

Rest it is upto you..
Regards
KK

Hi KK,

Eventhough I have submitted all the documents which proves that its 4 year degree, I am preparing myself for RFE or rejection.
The question is how to support the RFE/appeal with documents.
Can you provide the details of your evaluator?

kriskish said:
Hi Guys,
I really appreciate your confidence on USCIS. Especially with Nebraska service center. With all my experience I can just say please don't assume anything. Later it will haunt you. For EB2 especially there should be single source degree. If you search for breaking news archive in www.immigration-law.com you will find uscis memo distinguishing EB2 , EB3 and Single source degree. Not to scare anyone.. but have gone through this hell and lucky to be survived..

Rest it is upto you..
Regards
KK

meraharapatta said:
Hi KK,

Eventhough I have submitted all the documents which proves that its 4 year degree, I am preparing myself for RFE or rejection.
The question is how to support the RFE/appeal with documents.
Can you provide the details of your evaluator?

I used Trustforte.. I think the evaluator's name is Barry. Explain your full educational details.. send RFE (I hope you wont get any RFE) .. You need to talk to evaluator not the others..

Let me know if you need anything...
Thanks
KK

diploma + 4 year BE degree should not be an issue especially with 10 years exp. basically they want something equivalent to a US college degree (which is 4 years)

Krish Krish,

I read your posting where you have mentioned about your case.

Your case is a 10 + 2 + 2 + 3

(10 yr school + 2 yr college + 2 yr diploma + 3 yr BE)

and your labor states BS + 1 yr exp.

As far as my knowledge goes, I think anything less than 5 yrs exp with a BS degree is a EB3 case. That is the reason why you were in EB3, if you had 5 years of work exp prior to filing your labor (with a different employer/s) and if your lawyer had mentioned it, then your case would have been filed in EB2. It was not because of your education.

In Bombay (India), after completing 3 yr diploma program if you are planning to get a degree, one has to get a letter from the University of Bombay stating that the person is eligible to enrol directly into the second year of a 4 year BE program.

Like Meraharapatta, I am not hopeful of an approval without a RFE, but yes I have attached that letter along with my mark sheets.

So the wait has begun.

smog said:
Krish Krish,

I read your posting where you have mentioned about your case.

(10 yr school + 2 yr college + 2 yr diploma + 3 yr BE)

and your labor states BS + 1 yr exp.

As far as my knowledge goes, I think anything less than 5 yrs exp with a BS degree is a EB3 case. That is the reason why you were in EB3, if you had 5 years of work exp prior to filing your labor (with a different employer/s) and if your lawyer had mentioned it, then your case would have been filed in EB2. It was not because of your education.

In Bombay (India), after completing 3 yr diploma program if you are planning to get a degree, one has to get a letter from the University of Bombay stating that the person is eligible to enrol directly into the second year of a 4 year BE program.

Like Meraharapatta, I am not hopeful of an approval without a RFE, but yes I have attached that letter along with my mark sheets.

So the wait has begun.

Good luck to you and others..
KK

ebi2006 said:
You are welcome. It is always better if your attorney calls up NSC and finds out about your case as he is the person who applied on your behalf. I think you can also try contacting and I have read many on this forum have contacted NSC directly. You can try your luck.
I spoke to my lawyer and she says its not 30 days past the processing dates but its actually 30 days OF PROCESSING so what she meant is ---Wait untill they showup processing dates of 6/8 ( mine was filed 5/8 ) ....so its showing 5/30 now...so I am sure in next 2 weeks It will pass 6/8 and then my lawyer can make a call

Meraharapatta,

Please let me know if and when there is any movement on your 140. I will keep you posted as well

smog said:
Krish Krish,

Krish Krish,

Does your degree needs a four year education if took entrence after 10 + 2?
What is admission creteria for this?

Meraharapatta,

check this out, sounds like our case

kissaGCka
Registered User Join Date: May 2006

Hi friends,

I followed this thread unexpectedly today and went through all the posts. So wanted to share with you the news. MY I-140 was approved today in EB2. My education is 10+3+3 (engg).