• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Uganda winners meet here.

Thanks alot for the explanation!!! It is very clear now and I think I will be scheduled in March or April this year.

God bless

Hi everyone!

I'm cn AF201400005XXX. Has anyone from 2014 selectees done the interview yet? i would like to ask for some advice on what to expect and how you were able to process some of the documentation required at the embassy. Also, i would like to know how much i am meant to pay and if the interview will be in UG or in Kenya. Thanks

Hi everyone!

I'm cn AF201400005XXX. Has anyone from 2014 selectees done the interview yet? i would like to ask for some advice on what to expect and how you were able to process some of the documentation required at the embassy. Also, i would like to know how much i am meant to pay and if the interview will be in UG or in Kenya. Thanks

If AF201400005XXX is your CN, then you should have had your interview sometime last year in October. I suggest you send your forms to KCC by DHL and wait to get the 2 NL which you will get sometime this year. Good luck

Congrats Winners,
I just wanted to highlight a few things that fail most Ugandans at the US Embassy in Nairobi.

* Spelling errors on our Legal documents***** This to me is the biggest challenge many Ugandans face. Most of our documents have wrong spellings of NAMES, DATES, TOWNS/CITY etc.
They pay so much attention to these things at the Embassy.
For example: I was put on Administrative Processing for 90 days because my Daughters name was spelled wrong on her Birth Certificate.
Most of you with these errors will go through Administrative processing, which literally means; they will have to verify your information before you are issued a Visa.
But rest assured that you will get that Visa once all your paperwork is straight. Just watch the Nairobi deadlines... I think they set it to 15th Sept now not 29th like back then.

* Marital Status**** OK. This one is straight forward, if you applied for the DV lottery as Single then that's it. If you applied as Married then that's what it will be. DONOT wait to win then change your status from Single to Married just coz you want to bring someone along. They know that trick now. Don't try it. They will disqualify you right away. Besides, even if you have proof, in most cases like if you married and also got a child between this time... they will only advise you to continue the process by yourself or just abandon the whole thing. REMEMBER: You can always go back and file for your spouse and child as soon as the Green card is issued.

* Education Vs Employment: My personal opinion is that don't use Employment as your Eligilibity pass because they will put you to Administrative processing right away. The process of verifying Employment in Uganda is long, the deadline will pass you. So use your Education certificates.
Tip: Just a small tip for you my friends: If you are interviewed by the American officials/consulates, don't talk too much. Answer just what they ask. The Embassy is a fan place as I call it.... The tension is always very high, as people believe any small mistake will get you denied. Usually it's better to just relax and wait your turn.

When my friend was being interviewed, they asked him why he wants to go to America, so I knew they would ask me the same Question. But guess what; my interview was only 7 minutes. They asked me if I was in touch with my contact in the US, questions about his location, will he pick us from the Airport.
To me it was very interesting talking to the official ofcourse not until she pulled my Daughters Birth Certificate and saw the wrong spelling. Then she told to I have to wait until that is verified, they will call me back before 90 days.

I have lots of advise for you lucky winners..... you can email me for more on this.

DISCLAIMER: OK, Just so you guys know... this is my experience and for all those that I have helped. To be precise, I have been able to help 2 families and 4 singles. They all live here (US) now. Everyone's case is different, don't take my advice word for word. Keep up with the US Embassy website for updates and changes. Also watch the VISA BULLETIN so that you are ready for your interview on time.

Lastly, BE SMART.... Don't get scammmed in Nairobi while trying to fulfill your dream. Get there over the weekend if your interview is on Monday and tour the city. The place for Medical exams is different from the Embassy, so know these locations early enough.

Good Luck.... See You in America

Thanks for these tips...were you eventually given the visa? What was the spelling mistake?

thank you Jonge. I submitted my forms a few weeks ago and I received an email saying that visa numbers for my region are being scheduled for the month of April. I dont fully understand what that means but I'm hoping for the best.
I just want to know how the successful winners went about getting their documentation like police records and immunization... if its possible to have the interview done at the embassy here in UG (this is the location I put on the forms) and not Nairobi...
I also included my previous and current employment... someone wrote here that it takes a while to verify employment - how long does it take? I have my employment verification letters...

thank you Jonge. I submitted my forms a few weeks ago and I received an email saying that visa numbers for my region are being scheduled for the month of April. I dont fully understand what that means but I'm hoping for the best.
I just want to know how the successful winners went about getting their documentation like police records and immunization... if its possible to have the interview done at the embassy here in UG (this is the location I put on the forms) and not Nairobi...
I also included my previous and current employment... someone wrote here that it takes a while to verify employment - how long does it take? I have my employment verification letters...

Hello Macu,
Nice to meet you. I am just wondering if putting Kampala as the place of interview needs to be corrected or not. Jonge and others what do you think? Does she need to write so they correct this?

Please include your signature.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Macu,
Nice to meet you. I am just wondering if putting Kampala as the place of interview needs to be corrected or not. Jonge and others what do you think? Does she need to write so they correct this?

Please include your signature.

Good luck.

Dear KaiaUG, good to meet you too. So i have just found out that the embassy here in UG does not process Immigrant Visas... so its Nairobi. I will contact KCC about this. But i will need more help with my prior requests.

ps: the anxiety is killing me...

CN:2014AF00005xxx
Checked status :21st January 2014
Sent forms:4th February 2014
2nd NL: Waiting...
Medicals: Not yet
Police certs:Not yet
interview: waiting...

Dear KaiaUG, good to meet you too. So i have just found out that the embassy here in UG does not process Immigrant Visas... so its Nairobi. I will contact KCC about this. But i will need more help with my prior requests.

ps: the anxiety is killing me...

CN:2014AF00005xxx
Checked status :21st January 2014
Sent forms:4th February 2014
2nd NL: Waiting...
Police certs:Not yet
interview: waiting...

MACU,

you are correct the Nairobi office is the only one that processes immigrant visas for Ugandans. What KCC is saying is that they will try to schedule an interview for you in April since you sent you forms late. Don't worry you will get interviewed. The Police Clearance Certificate can be got from Interpol offices on Plot 2 Mabua Road Kololo. That is somewhere near the Airstrip. It will take you at least 2 weeks to get this and it is only valid for 6 months. So start processing this document at least 3/4 weeks to your interview date.
Regarding immunization, you could take them from Kampala but then you need to know which kind of vaccinations to take. Taking them from Nairobi during the Medical Examination is another alternative but they are far much more costly there. Alternatively you could also try to call IOM Kampala which is not in Naguru and find out if they can give them to you or at least get a list of the vaccinations and you get them from else where.
On how to check for the next notification, use the same link you used to check you had been selected. Once your notification is ready you will find it there once you enter you correct CN, names and date of birth. You also talked about employment. Are you applying for this immigrant visa based on your employment history/experience? I would suggest you use education because the minimum education requirement for Uganda is A Level.
I suggest also you visit this thread as often as possible so members can help. The Kenyan 2014 thread is also helpful so join it too and post any queries you might have

Jonge, thank you for very much sharing. do you think i should start processing the required documentation after i receive the second NL? what are the chances of NOT receiving the second NL?

also, i included my previous and current employment on the forms but i am not applying based on experience - i am hoping this is overlooked because i read somewhere in the instructions that for experience to be considered, the profession had to have a score of <7.0 or something like that (but i do have the verification letters just in case)... nevertheless i do have the required education qualifications and i am hoping for the best.

i will check out the Kenyan thread as well... Again, thank you so much for the information - its very helpful

ps: it would be so nice to meet everyone from this thread in USA :D

CN: AF00005XXX
Checked status: 21st January 2014
Sent forms: 4th February 2014
2nd NL: waiting...
Police certs: Not yet
Interview: waiting...
P.O.E California

Jonge, thank you for very much sharing. do you think i should start processing the required documentation after i receive the second NL? what are the chances of NOT receiving the second NL?

also, i included my previous and current employment on the forms but i am not applying based on experience - i am hoping this is overlooked because i read somewhere in the instructions that for experience to be considered, the profession had to have a score of <7.0 or something like that (but i do have the verification letters just in case)... nevertheless i do have the required education qualifications and i am hoping for the best.

i will check out the Kenyan thread as well... Again, thank you so much for the information - its very helpful

ps: it would be so nice to meet everyone from this thread in USA :D

CN: AF00005XXX
Checked status: 21st January 2014
Sent forms: 4th February 2014
2nd NL: waiting...
Police certs: Not yet
Interview: waiting...
P.O.E California

You are welcome...regarding the documentation, I think most of it should be ready by now except the police certificate which has a validity period of 6 months and you can apply for it once you receive your 2NL which is usually 4 - 6 weeks from the interview date. Make sure you have the following by now:
- Birth Certificate
- Valid passport
- A Level Certificate
- Marriage Certificate (if married)
- Divorce Certificate (if divorced)
- Letters of adoption
- Letter of consent if you are a single parent

For letter:
- Any police certificate(s) from countries where you have lived for more than 6 months and for each family member 16yrs and above.
- 2 passport size photos for each family member (American size type)

I hope this helps

Hello DV2014 winners from Uganda we need to keep this thread active so we can help and bounce ideas off each other.

Hello Jonge
I won DV 2016AF00045*** form Uganda thank you for the positive guess Cher I my self would need some help although it looks too far away how did you guys hold up

Hi Ham64112 congratulations and this is indeed a big step. Well take a day at time, try to save as much as you can and also don't make any rushed decisions. I hope this helps.

Hi Ham64112 congratulations and this is indeed a big step. Well take a day at time, try to save as much as you can and also don't make any rushed decisions. I hope this helps.
Hey there Jonge nice hearing from you yes am trying to take day by day trying to follow up in the forum and as per now I don't know yet what have to do about my names cause its the main issue on my side two names on my birth crft and then three on my school crfts.passport has two names that's all of cause growing up in two families . but what wld be the best solution to go about this.

Hey there Jonge nice hearing from you yes am trying to take day by day trying to follow up in the forum and as per now I don't know yet what have to do about my names cause its the main issue on my side two names on my birth crft and then three on my school crfts.passport has two names that's all of cause growing up in two families . but what wld be the best solution to go about this.

Are the two names on the birth certificate and the passport the same? And the same as your entry? If so you are fine. Don't worry about school certificate a bit different, it is not a proof of identity.

Are the two names on the birth certificate and the passport the same? And the same as your entry? If so you are fine. Don't worry about school certificate a bit different, it is not a proof of identity.
Nope they are not the same here is the example I was bone as Kato john (Christian) then grow up in different family (Muslim) I was given a new name while growing up so it be came Kato john Hamza till I finished high school getting my passport I kept only two names that I wanted Kato Hamza and those are the names I am using also used on ds-260 also on a part where they ask if you have used any other name(in the form) I said yes and gave them the name John.
long story but need advice as much as I can

The instructions say the entry must be the same as the passport, which it sounds like it is, you should be fine. Be sure to list all the others under the section for aliases/other names used on the DS260.

The instructions say the entry must be the same as the passport, which it sounds like it is, you should be fine. Be sure to list all the others under the section for aliases/other names used on the DS260.
Yes I did and I sent it on May 16 but I thought that it's a long story to explain to the CO do I need any more paper work for that (affidavit) or just wait for my luck cause I have seen people getting dined cause of names

Yes I did and I sent it on May 16 but I thought that it's a long story to explain to the CO do I need any more paper work for that (affidavit) or just wait for my luck cause I have seen people getting dined cause of names

The name denials are where the names on the entry form don't match the passport. If the CO asks, then you do need to explain your "long story" (which is not very long). You can get an affidavit if you want but I don't think it will really make much difference. If there is any paperwork related to how your adoptive family changed your name then you can bring that.