• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Do we know if the lottery is continuing this year?
I know there was talk of abolishing it under immigration reform.... Clearly have not done my research though (too busy biting my nails waiting for my 2014 number to come upo_O)
Britsimon? ;)

Hi Emma!

All hopes for comprehensive immigration reform have been destroyed by the Republicans at least for the remainder of this year and probably for the rest of the Obama presidency. That means there will almost certainly be a DV 2016 and probably lotteries through to at least DV 2017!

I know there was talk of abolishing it under immigration reform.... Clearly have not done my research though (too busy biting my nails waiting for my 2014 number to come upo_O)
Britsimon? ;)

Yep - Matt is correct. DV2016 has been publicized already - entry dates to be announced (although basically it will be all of October).

Britsimon? ;)

Immigration Reform has been stuck without a decision for the last 12-18 months. Under normal circumstances, this would mean business-as-usual and a continuation of the DV Program.

However, I was reading an Forbes / CNN article the other day saying the Obamam wants to push reform through without GOP support. Can't find the exact article, but here's another story related to it (http://nypost.com/2014/06/30/obama-plans-to-reform-immigration-without-gop/). Unclear what affect reform will have on the DV Program though, as most reports centre around the "legal path for illegal immigrants" issue.

Immigration Reform has been stuck without a decision for the last 12-18 months. Under normal circumstances, this would mean business-as-usual and a continuation of the DV Program.

However, I was reading an Forbes / CNN article the other day saying the Obamam wants to push reform through without GOP support. Can't find the exact article, but here's another story related to it (http://nypost.com/2014/06/30/obama-plans-to-reform-immigration-without-gop/). Unclear what affect reform will have on the DV Program though, as most reports centre around the "legal path for illegal immigrants" issue.

Obama cannot eliminate the DV lottery with his executive authority. To eliminate the DV lottery requires an act of congress. Obama has only limited power to temporarily reduce deportations and increase border enforcement etc.

It's not possible for Obama to repeal DV unilaterally. It's a law.

Obama cannot eliminate the DV lottery with his executive authority. To eliminate the DV lottery requires an act of congress. Obama has only limited power to temporarily reduce deportations and increase border enforcement etc.

It's not possible for Obama to repeal DV unilaterally. It's a law.

@MattK & @guestgulkan - A fact for which I am very grateful. Bring on DV-2016 (although I'm still hoping I won't need it)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info posted on this site over the last year. It has been great to share the anticipation (and disappointments) with others. My number is in the 1590s for DV2014 so I am really on a knives edge waiting for the last numbers to come out. I guess it is all up to fate at this point!

^ I don't know! the way it's been going I wouldn't be surprised if we see 1550 in a few days:confused:

Well one thing's for sure- you're a lot safer than I am! (Mind you I think most people are):p

Just thought I'd chime in with some info on the possibility of the DV lottery being abolished. I've been following US politics for some time, especially this new immigration bill that Obama is pushing forward. The fact is the bill stipulates that the DV lottery will be replaced by a new program for high skilled immigrants. For this to happen, Congress; both the Senate (Democrats) and the House of Representatives (Republicans), have to vote to pass the bill. As of now only the Senate has voted in favour; the House refuses to even bring it to the floor (to open it for discussion and a vote).

Thing is though, there will be elections for the House of Representatives on November 4th this year, for all 435 seats. This is where I'm worried, because if the Democrats win the majority of the seats, then they can vote in the new bill and there goes the DV lottery. If the Republicans win, then we can breathe a sigh of relief, since they don't agree with the immigration bill.

But according to the Wikpedia page for the DV lottery: "If passed, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 will abolish the program from fiscal year 2015." The US fiscal year for 2015 begins on October 1st. Assume the bill passes, I'm not sure if this means that DV2016 will be the last one, or whether it will just be scrapped regardless if it has started for 2016? Because if the Democrats win the House of Representatives, and they vote in the bill, then will the lottery automatically be cancelled, even though it has already begun in October? I'm thinking that it means it will be scrapped, regardless of whether it begun in October. So the date many of us have to look out for is November 4th this year, and hope that the Republicans win.

I had my first try for 2015, but wasn't selected. So I'm *really* hoping that it will hold out for 2016, and I get a place!

Just thought I'd chime in with some info on the possibility of the DV lottery being abolished. I've been following US politics for some time, especially this new immigration bill that Obama is pushing forward. The fact is the bill stipulates that the DV lottery will be replaced by a new program for high skilled immigrants. For this to happen, Congress; both the Senate (Democrats) and the House of Representatives (Republicans), have to vote to pass the bill. As of now only the Senate has voted in favour; the House refuses to even bring it to the floor (to open it for discussion and a vote).

Thing is though, there will be elections for the House of Representatives on November 4th this year, for all 435 seats. This is where I'm worried, because if the Democrats win the majority of the seats, then they can vote in the new bill and there goes the DV lottery. If the Republicans win, then we can breathe a sigh of relief, since they don't agree with the immigration bill.

But according to the Wikpedia page for the DV lottery: "If passed, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 will abolish the program from fiscal year 2015." The US fiscal year for 2015 begins on October 1st. Assume the bill passes, I'm not sure if this means that DV2016 will be the last one, or whether it will just be scrapped regardless if it has started for 2016? Because if the Democrats win the House of Representatives, and they vote in the bill, then will the lottery automatically be cancelled, even though it has already begun in October? I'm thinking that it means it will be scrapped, regardless of whether it begun in October. So the date many of us have to look out for is November 4th this year, and hope that the Republicans win.

I had my first try for 2015, but wasn't selected. So I'm *really* hoping that it will hold out for 2016, and I get a place!

The republicans have a 31 seat majority in the house and the mid-terms typically go badly for the sitting president's party. The opinion polls indicate the republicans might take the senate too.