• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Out of pure curiosity, the Visa Bulletin says that there are approx. 4200 selectees for Oceania. Has anyone come across someone that has a CN in the 3000's or 4000's??

You don't need an immigration lawyer - they really do not know the DV process (because they get little, if any, exposure to it) and you could end up spending money on a fruitless effort.

The trick is this...

On the O*Net database each job has a rating as you are aware (the level needed being Job Zone 4, SVP Range, 7.0 to < 8.0). You need to find a role that matches what he does, not what his title is. You can be a bit creative with the titles because they don't match.

So - I did a search for Waste water and hey presto here is one that matches (AND QUALIFIES!). So, Your hubby is now a Water/Wastewater Engineer!!! The operator tag would kill it, so engineer is what he would have to be described as. There may be others that are better for him, so have a browse around O*Net.
http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/17-2081.01

By the way that role says Bright Outlook meaning it there are good prospects for someone in that job...

If you look at the summary and details of the tasks perfomed by a wastewater engineer, you can almost go down the list and tick off how close his role is to that description. IF you get a good level of matching, then you should be able to build a case around that. You would need a detailed CV, affadavits from managers/workmates etc. You would need to build a picture of him doing an engineering role, rather than standing knee deep in crap. I'm sure you see what I mean. Have a think and a chat with hubby. I'll find the thread of the couple that were successful just a couple of months ago and I am sure they would be able to help you compile a file if you wanted to go ahead.

EDIT: Here is the other case I was thinking of... http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?559396-Qualifying-for-DV-by-Work-Experience

Simon I have sent you a PM

Well I got my Senior Certificate in the mail today.... sheesh its been 20 years since I did grade 12 and let me just say Adult me would gladly kick the butt of teenage me for my marks. It does how ever say I have completed year 12 so thats good.

I will just have to take some transcripts from University to show I am not a complete nitwit.

Completed so that's good, I do have visions of my ancient history teacher saying to me you will regret not trying harder in class.

Ok, here is one for you guys....

My daughter will be 18 in July ( end of) I have had her in my care her entire life and this is an arrangement her father and I have been happy with however there is no court documentation to prove it. His name is on her birth certificate and she does share the same surname as her, he is however from a different country.

I know more than likely I will have to get him to sign an affidavit to allow her to move over to the states but if she turns 18 before she goes would she be able to do so without his permission?

The Department of State, Office of Visa Services, advises the public of a notable increase and reporting of fraudulent emails and letters sent to Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) program (Visa Lottery) applicants. The scammers behind these fraudulent emails and letters pose as the U.S. government, and attempt to extract payment or favor from DV applicants. We strongly encourage you to review the procedures for the DV program provided below, so that you know what to expect, when to expect it, and from whom. Remember that this website is the source of official information about the DV program.

"Ties" to your home country are the things that bind you to your hometown, homeland, or current place of residence (i.e., job, family, financial prospects that you own or will inherit, investments, etc).

Ok, here is one for you guys....

My daughter will be 18 in July ( end of) I have had her in my care her entire life and this is an arrangement her father and I have been happy with however there is no court documentation to prove it. His name is on her birth certificate and she does share the same surname as her, he is however from a different country.

I know more than likely I will have to get him to sign an affidavit to allow her to move over to the states but if she turns 18 before she goes would she be able to do so without his permission?

Assume that she is still treated as a minor during this process. Their cutoff is age 21 - so just to be on the safe side get the affidavit.

afra is a spammer trying to increase his post count, so he can post a link to his spam site

Travel abroad after gaining green card

Hi Everyone,

Finding all the posts really helpful! But just wondering if anyone knows how travelling abroad (from the US, say back to Aus) works after you have been given the Green Card? I know you have to land in the US by 30 Sep 2014 to activate the card, but do you have time to come back to Aus to get things in order etc, and if so, do you need to do any extra paperwork?

Thanks in advance!

Case No: 2014OC000007**

Once you've activated the green card, you can come and go as you please. But unless you apply for permission, you can't leave the US for more than 365 days without voiding your permanent residency. This is to stop people from living in one country and popping in every now and then to keep the green card valid.

Well gang, this is almost it. Tomorrow I'll be heading back to the airport with my sealed yellow envelope, my chest X-rays, a passport with a temporary visa sticker pasted in it, and three suitcases to (holy hell) immigrate to the United States.

I paid the USCIS fee yesterday; it was simple and painless. I used an Australian credit card even though I'd intended to use my US debit card, and it worked just fine.

I'll be entering the country at LAX at 6:15am Sunday local time and I've got a connection to Denver at 1:00pm. That oughta give me plenty of time to get through whatever Immigration has in store for me, get my bags to the transfer desk and find a beer or two in the lounge before my next flights.

I'll make sure to do another detailed write-up of the entry process when I can. But until then, thanks to all for the helpful information and advice along the way. I can't believe the process is all but over for me - it seems like just yesterday that I joined up and started researching this whole adventure!

Well gang, this is almost it. Tomorrow I'll be heading back to the airport with my sealed yellow envelope, my chest X-rays, a passport with a temporary visa sticker pasted in it, and three suitcases to (holy hell) immigrate to the United States.

I paid the USCIS fee yesterday; it was simple and painless. I used an Australian credit card even though I'd intended to use my US debit card, and it worked just fine.

I'll be entering the country at LAX at 6:15am Sunday local time and I've got a connection to Denver at 1:00pm. That oughta give me plenty of time to get through whatever Immigration has in store for me, get my bags to the transfer desk and find a beer or two in the lounge before my next flights.

I'll make sure to do another detailed write-up of the entry process when I can. But until then, thanks to all for the helpful information and advice along the way. I can't believe the process is all but over for me - it seems like just yesterday that I joined up and started researching this whole adventure!

Wow - that is cool. I'm a bit jealous, but happy for you!