• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Yep I read it very interesting later on today I'll go thru that link properly. All very interesting I have to say.

That is the effect of their definition, not their definition. Their definition is what I said earlier - equivalent to a US high school education. That is the point at which an American kid could enter University.

The point is, where I come from (the UK) we enter school younger than many other countries (we start at age 4 or 5) and (at least up until this year) we could stop at age 16. So - we could have 12 years of formal education, but it would take someone from the UK a further 2 years of "college" to get to the point where we could enter a UK (or US) University. On that basis a Brit would have to have completed that extra two years - even though that could mean they have spent 13 or 14 years in education. So, years of attendance is not what matters it is that you are equivalent to a US High school education.

You probably know this, but this in fact the case - O-levels/GSCE is not sufficient for equivalency, and I think it's 3 A-levels that is required even though this usually means 13 years of school. (Now don't ask me to find the source, but I have read this!)

You probably know this, but this in fact the case - O-levels/GSCE is not sufficient for equivalency, and I think it's 3 A-levels that is required even though this usually means 13 years of school. (Now don't ask me to find the source, but I have read this!)

Yes that makes sense. O levels are attained (normally) at age 16. However, to enter University the generally accepted requirement is 3 A levels (which are obtained in that optional 2 year period at college I mentioned.

That is the effect of their definition, not their definition. Their definition is what I said earlier - equivalent to a US high school education. That is the point at which an American kid could enter University.

The point is, where I come from (the UK) we enter school younger than many other countries (we start at age 4 or 5) and (at least up until this year) we could stop at age 16. So - we could have 12 years of formal education, but it would take someone from the UK a further 2 years of "college" to get to the point where we could enter a UK (or US) University. On that basis a Brit would have to have completed that extra two years - even though that could mean they have spent 13 or 14 years in education. So, years of attendance is not what matters it is that you are equivalent to a US High school education.

Oh dear, that has really burst our bubble. I dont think my hubby will have the required formal education and he also just misses out with regard to employment requirements.:(

Is your husband the one that won the DV or is it you. Only the person that won the DV has to have Senior Cert.

To qualify, applicants must have either a high school education or its equivalent.

Ok so looking back on your previous entries, I see that your husband was allocated a OC cn number in the 1300 range. When did he finish school ? What year level?

9 FAM 42.33 N7.1 Definitions

The Department’s interpretation of the term “high school education or its
equivalent” means successful completion of a:

(1) Twelve-year course of elementary and secondary study in the United
States; or

(2) Formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to
completion of 12 years elementary or secondary education in the United
States. Because a United States high school education is sufficient in itself
to qualify a student to apply for college admission, in order for a foreign
education to be equivalent to a United States education, it should be
sufficient to allow a student to apply for college admission without further
education. Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further
academic study will not be considered equivalent to United States high
school education.

9 FAM 42.33 N7.2 Education Requirements
(CT:VISA-910; 10-23-2007)

We interpret the phrase “high school education or its equivalent” to apply only to
formal courses of study. Equivalency certificates (such as the G.E.D.) are not
acceptable. To qualify, an alien must have completed a 12-year course of
elementary and secondary education in the United States or a comparable course
of study in another country. Evidence might consist of a certificate of completion
equivalent to a United States diploma, school transcripts, or other evidence issued
by the person or organization responsible for maintaining such records, which
specify the completed course of study.

9 FAM 42.33 N7.3 Education Evaluation
(CT:VISA-1555; 09-30-2010)

a. Each post needs to determine what course of study is equivalent to a high
school education or its equivalent in the host country

My previous post is dated from 2007 so I dont know if there have been any updates to it as yet.

This is current from the Canberra United States Embassy

"To qualify, applicants must have either a high school education or its equivalent, or be able to meet minimum training requirements. Each applicant must also be able to show that they were born in a country eligible for this year’s Diversity Visa Lottery."

Oh dear, that has really burst our bubble. I dont think my hubby will have the required formal education and he also just misses out with regard to employment requirements.:(

Very sorry to read that. Before you get too down, be specific about his education level attained and also the work he does.

My previous post is dated from 2007 so I dont know if there have been any updates to it as yet.

"To qualify, applicants must have either a high school education or its equivalent, or be able to meet minimum training requirements. Each applicant must also be able to show that they were born in a country eligible for this year’s Diversity Visa Lottery."

That is extremely misleading.

Very sorry to read that. Before you get too down, be specific about his education level attained and also the work he does.

I second what Simon said. Dont give up just yet.

It might be misleading but its what is on the official website
for the Australian Embassy

Yep understood. It is not correct though. It doesn't even make sense. what minimum training requirements are they talking about? It is clearly mistyped (I know you realise that, just trying to make it clear lest anyone gets confused.

Yes, it is confusing for sure. I think it was crawff that said when he went in a couple had to be put on further processing because they didnt meet the requirements as they didnt finish high school.

I just want everyone to be aware that while only a few requirements there still are ones we must abide by.

That is extremely misleading.

A great catch Simon!

This is a classic example of why I prefer digging further and going by what the laws/statutes governing immigration process says. Obviously, this is statement is from a US government website intended to provide information to would be immigrants; yet, it's incomplete and misleading on its own.

I guess in a way it's correct as you must be able to meet the minimum training requirements IF you don't meet the educational requirement.