• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

I emailed the KCC with a similiar query about how soon I need to get paper work in and they responded with this:

"Regardless of which route you choose to follow, your case must be completely processed prior to September 30 of the program year (i.e. DV 2013 cases must be processed prior to September 30, 2013). If your case number becomes current but does not finish processing prior to this date, your case will be closed and no further action can be taken on it.

Interviews for the DV 2014 program will begin October 1, 2013, and process through September 30, 2014.

All DV 2013 cases must be completely processed by September 30, 2014.

Prompt response in returning the required forms to KCC will allow ample time for necessary processing."

I sent my paper work off today. Too soon? I'm not sure. A little worried I didn't fill them out properly but oh well, they're off now.

Did you send the photos off today also or is it just the forms they need sent now and the photos are needed only for the interview?

Did you send the photos off today also or is it just the forms they need sent now and the photos are needed only for the interview?

I sent off all my paperwork about an hour ago.

Included the following documents;
  • Selection Letter
  • Form DSP-122
  • Form DSP-230 Part I (With an extra sheet attached as I ran out of space for last 10 years employers)
  • Form DSP-230 Part II (Unsigned)
  • Two photographs, 2 inch by 2 inch

Triple checked everything, I am sure its all fine but the nerves are getting the better of me.

I'm going to post off my forms today as well, in the hopes that getting the ball rolling early will bring the next step sooner and secure an early interview for October. If I could enter the US by the end of the year on my new green card I'll be over the moon, or even early next year. I will try to be patient! :eek:

After attending the interview, how long does it take them to process everything? I've read from some people that they can give an answer on the spot and then the applicant receives their green card a few days later...?! I've been through many non-immigrant visa applications in the past, which have been a breeze and have received the visa in the mail shortly after, but I expect this process to be a lot more in depth. How could the consulate officer just view my documents and make a decision, wouldn't they need to contact the education department to verify my high school certificate or contact my employers in Aus/US, or at least something...?

Also, reading up on the medical, I can't seem to find any information about how they assess pre-existing medical conditions. I've read the FAQ, but still unsure. Is there more detailed information somewhere on what they accept?

I'm sure I'll have a dozen more questions to come... :p

Yeah I sent the photos as well, didn't trim the edges to 2 by 2 inches though, but they were taken by a professional to be of US immigration standard so fingers crossed.

After attending the interview, how long does it take them to process everything? I've read from some people that they can give an answer on the spot and then the applicant receives their green card a few days later...?! I've been through many non-immigrant visa applications in the past, which have been a breeze and have received the visa in the mail shortly after, but I expect this process to be a lot more in depth. How could the consulate officer just view my documents and make a decision, wouldn't they need to contact the education department to verify my high school certificate or contact my employers in Aus/US, or at least something...?

Unless there's something that they question or need more information on, it's an on-the-spot decision: Welcome to the United States, and your visa is ready in a few days. Yes, you would expect more in depth process but no, this is a crazy easy permanent residency visa. I had a more in depth interview for my B1/B2. I've never heard of anyone having their education documents verified, nor of any employers contacted, not to say that can't happen. It's that easy. Best visa money can't buy.

Also, reading up on the medical, I can't seem to find any information about how they assess pre-existing medical conditions. I've read the FAQ, but still unsure. Is there more detailed information somewhere on what they accept?

Medical is easy. They ask you questions about your past medical history, including pre-existing conditions. Answer truthfully. X-ray to check for TB, blood test to check for syphilis. Vaccinations up to date. Done.

The hardest part is over - you were selected. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to post off my forms today as well, in the hopes that getting the ball rolling early will bring the next step sooner and secure an early interview for October. If I could enter the US by the end of the year on my new green card I'll be over the moon, or even early next year. I will try to be patient! :eek:

Getting the forms in early does not result in an early interview. The number you have already been issued depends on your interview date.

Best to take your time with the form. Many people rush it and make errors that really mess things up for the interview.

Getting the forms in early does not result in an early interview. The number you have already been issued depends on your interview date.

Best to take your time with the form. Many people rush it and make errors that really mess things up for the interview.

^^^^^
Can't stress this enough.

Question about the I 134 affidavit of support.

Some say, one should "double up" and show the normal financial and employment informaiton, and for good measure, get a friend in US to do this I 134 thing.

My question is, when in the process would one do such a thing? AFTER the initial mailing of the other forms that I will be doing in the next few weeks? Or at the same time as the first forms get sent? I'm hoping you don't say one does that now... but we will see.

Also, I am not ready to mail any forms, if I mail them at the end of May in a few weeks, am I mad for doing that? Or is that relatively safe? Hearing all these people saying they are doing it right now is getting my attention.

Perhaps I rushed it but oh well its gone now. What are typical errors that can be made?

I don't know what I could have put down wrong. They've got my biographical information, employment information, school information, parent information, all pretty straight forward.

Perhaps I rushed it but oh well its gone now. What are typical errors that can be made?

I don't know what I could have put down wrong. They've got my biographical information, employment information, school information, parent information, all pretty straight forward.

Most common is people messing up spelling of names, leaving things out or not writing names EXACTLY like they are on documents. Dates around the wrong way (Difference with AUS and US month,day etc) is one of the things too.

These forms have to match all the documents you provide later

True, I didn't supply EVERY single job I've had over the last 10 years, just the main ones.... wonder if that'll trip me up

Well I posted the forms off today anyway. I may have even gone a little overboard with listing certain things. When it asked to list every school I had been to, I assumed it meant every single high school I attended. I moved around quite a bit and so I had to list down 8 different high schools - hopefully that is not an issue. I remembered the correct dates to list, and made sure I wrote the dates in correct order.

When filling in previous addresses, I left out the address that I was living in at the time of applying for the DV lottery last November. As I was only living at that address for 2 months and it only asked for addresses of 6 months or longer - so I listed 4 addresses that I have lived at for 6 months or longer since age 16, including my current address. It may be a little confusing, but I'm certain it is all correct and if they have questions I hope I can clear it up in the interview.

I really hope my low number gets me in for an early October interview. I'm between 200 and 240.

Well I posted the forms off today anyway. I may have even gone a little overboard with listing certain things. When it asked to list every school I had been to, I assumed it meant every single high school I attended. I moved around quite a bit and so I had to list down 8 different high schools - hopefully that is not an issue. I remembered the correct dates to list, and made sure I wrote the dates in correct order.

I don't think they will penalize you for too much information :) Better than not putting enough in to start with and getting denied for some reason.

The additional sheet I attached was for employment history for the last 10 years, where for the last 6 years I have worked the same job but my employer has been acquired a few times.

I really hope my low number gets me in for an early October interview. I'm between 200 and 240.

Last years Visa Bulletin for October had the Oceania cut-off at 250, so I'd confidently say you will definitely be in the first batch. Congratulations :) Think myself and some others will be waiting around for a while for it to go "Current", so make sure you keep on posting with your experiences.

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum.

I was also selected, which was so unexpected but very exciting. I do have a question, I can't seem to find the answer to. If you are successful with your visa application, how long do you have until you have to leave for the US? Or isn't there a time limit?

I am in the 800s, does anyone know when my interview could be?

Thanks!

From what my mate said who got a green card, he had a year to enter the US after having a succesful interview. Someone else might be able to chime in here.

I think 800's about Feb - March-ish 2014 for interview from what I've seen on other pages.

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum.

I was also selected, which was so unexpected but very exciting. I do have a question, I can't seem to find the answer to. If you are successful with your visa application, how long do you have until you have to leave for the US? Or isn't there a time limit?

I am in the 800s, does anyone know when my interview could be?

Thanks!

It is usually 6 months. You have to enter while your medicals are still valid which is usually 6 months.

Some people get their medicals done early and therefore don't have as much time to enter as others who get the medical done closer to the date.

Of course, once you have entered the USA you can return to Australia and stay away for up to 12 months. Best to get a thing called re entry permit when you leave if that is the case. That is a whole other issue.

Last years Visa Bulletin for October had the Oceania cut-off at 250, so I'd confidently say you will definitely be in the first batch. Congratulations :) Think myself and some others will be waiting around for a while for it to go "Current", so make sure you keep on posting with your experiences.

Will do! :) I'll probably be checking in here every day from now on to see how others are going. I guess I'm playing the waiting game until I hear back from KCC.

I also entered through the company USAFIS... didn't realise at the time that you could just enter for free on the government website. Although everything seems to happening as per normal since I checked the website and found I had been selected for further processing. So lets hope this doesn't effect the rest of my application.

Yes, that is another proff there will be no second batch in DV-2014.

I reckon the first cut-off number (for October) will be higher than usual, say 400. Has to be, in order for them to get through the high numbers they've been giving out. I don't think I've ever heard of OC2000s before.

Last edited by a moderator: