• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

So you suggest going straight to the SSN office place once I arrive, rather than waiting and seeing if we get one in the mail? My parents aren't even sure they saw an option on the forms for one, so we may not have even ticked anything...

Yeah, if they comment on you not waiting for it in the mail, you can just say you didn't have time to wait for it with the move. They probably won't even care though.

Yeah, if they comment on you not waiting for it in the mail, you can just say you didn't have time to wait for it with the move. They probably won't even care though.

Sounds good, I'll see how it goes. 13 days!

So I have a new question... medications. What can you take, and how much? I mean if I took over say, a 6 month supply in my checked luggage, is that do-able with a GC? I came across something saying no more than 90 days supply when entering the US but I assume that's for VWP when they're only allowed 90 day stay? Or would they insist on bringing basically nothing in on GC, because now you're a resident there? I'm so confused. I'm trying to figure out how much I can bring over now. I mean it's cheaper here, and I have stuff/scripts already (don't need to go to another doctor etc). I don't want to get there and have to go to a doctor to get re-checked again for new meds/scripts etc. If that makes sense... I know I'll have to get around to that eventually but I'd rather delay it for as long as possible instead of having that on my list of things to do in my first few months there when I'll have so much else to do...

Sounds good, I'll see how it goes. 13 days!

So I have a new question... medications. What can you take, and how much? I mean if I took over say, a 6 month supply in my checked luggage, is that do-able with a GC? I came across something saying no more than 90 days supply when entering the US but I assume that's for VWP when they're only allowed 90 day stay? Or would they insist on bringing basically nothing in on GC, because now you're a resident there? I'm so confused. I'm trying to figure out how much I can bring over now. I mean it's cheaper here, and I have stuff/scripts already (don't need to go to another doctor etc). I don't want to get there and have to go to a doctor to get re-checked again for new meds/scripts etc. If that makes sense... I know I'll have to get around to that eventually but I'd rather delay it for as long as possible instead of having that on my list of things to do in my first few months there when I'll have so much else to do...

I didn't even look for any rules or regulations as to how much medications you can bring with you - anywhere. Not to Canada, not to the US. I just brought as much as I could get a prescription for and made sure I had the script with me. It never came up as an issue at any border. Medications expire so I doubt you could bring so much as to cause concern. Of course, it has to be within reason. If you think your medications look like a lot, get your doctor to write up a summary and have the official scripts on hand. I would also bring it in carry-on, not checked luggage. If your bag gets lost, that's bad enough, so you don't want to add the stress of running around trying to find a doctor to get your meds replaced as soon as you get here.

Counting down the days eh? Good luck!

I didn't even look for any rules or regulations as to how much medications you can bring with you - anywhere. Not to Canada, not to the US. I just brought as much as I could get a prescription for and made sure I had the script with me. It never came up as an issue at any border. Medications expire so I doubt you could bring so much as to cause concern. Of course, it has to be within reason. If you think your medications look like a lot, get your doctor to write up a summary and have the official scripts on hand. I would also bring it in carry-on, not checked luggage. If your bag gets lost, that's bad enough, so you don't want to add the stress of running around trying to find a doctor to get your meds replaced as soon as you get here.

Counting down the days eh? Good luck!

Yeah I don't want to look like I'm trying to do bad things with my meds haha. I can get about a years worth in prescription with the script but i don't want that to be too much... do the forms when you enter at border/customs ask if you have medications etc in your baggage? I'd have way too much to bring in carry on haha. My bags are exploding enough as it is.. not good. But yeah, I don't want to be pulled up to have my bags searched and them go through all my meds and quiz me on it... Ugh. I'm going to the doctors today so I was going to get the 1 years supply for things... maybe. Maybe I should just do 6 months... I really don't know.

Yeah I don't want to look like I'm trying to do bad things with my meds haha. I can get about a years worth in prescription with the script but i don't want that to be too much... do the forms when you enter at border/customs ask if you have medications etc in your baggage? I'd have way too much to bring in carry on haha. My bags are exploding enough as it is.. not good. But yeah, I don't want to be pulled up to have my bags searched and them go through all my meds and quiz me on it... Ugh. I'm going to the doctors today so I was going to get the 1 years supply for things... maybe. Maybe I should just do 6 months... I really don't know.

When I first entered the US (on student visa), I brought a 6 month supply of medication into the US with me. I don't think I had to declare them on the customs form (if I recall correctly, there wasn't a question about medications), but I did inform the customs officer that I was carrying medication with me and he said as long as its for personal use, he wasn't interested in inspecting my bags.

I would get a prescription for as much as you can from your doctor, as it will probably be cheaper than in the US. Just bring a letter from your doctor explaining why you're carrying so much. Unless its narcotics, I don't think customs would batter an eyelid.

When I first entered the US (on student visa), I brought a 6 month supply of medication into the US with me. I don't think I had to declare them on the customs form (if I recall correctly, there wasn't a question about medications), but I did inform the customs officer that I was carrying medication with me and he said as long as its for personal use, he wasn't interested in inspecting my bags.

I would get a prescription for as much as you can from your doctor, as it will probably be cheaper than in the US. Just bring a letter from your doctor explaining why you're carrying so much. Unless its narcotics, I don't think customs would batter an eyelid.

Thanks, yeah I got a 1 year prescription from my doctor and put it all in my bags.. Kept everything in it's original boxes so hopefully it's all good. Everything has my name on it from the chemist... Fingers crossed! I've got one of my asthma inhaler things with no box anymore so I might take that one on carry on..

Hi everyone,

It's been a while but I thought I would update you all on what happened with us.

We left sydney on the 4th may - teary airport goodbyes from the family...

We flew jet star to Hawaii for our POE because we sale fares and CC points it cost us like $200!!! We landed at about 8ish and I think we got the same grumpy guy other people have had! He wasn't too happy about processing us so early in the morning and grumbled a bit but he got through it all no problems. Took fingerprints etc and gave us a couple of info sheets... No welcome to America but there were signs on the walls saying that so we took photos with them! Haha!

Was def a little anti climatic!

But we were super excited that it was all done which was awesome.

We then had 4 days in Hawaii and then proceeded with our 8week holiday around the us... Had an amazing time and saw most of the west coast and south.
We had arranged for our apartment in nyc to collect our mail for us so we had the fee in suspense letter / green cards and ssn waiting for us when we arrived last week so no stress of waiting at all!

Starting to live the nyc life now :) we are in the lower east / high midtown area (55th) which is pretty nice - here for 6 weeks while we work out where we want to live / work etc.

Hope everyone else's processes are going as smoothly.

Hi everyone,

It's been a while but I thought I would update you all on what happened with us.

We flew jet star to Hawaii for our POE because we sale fares and CC points it cost us like $200!!! We landed at about 8ish and I think we got the same grumpy guy other people have had! He wasn't too happy about processing us so early in the morning and grumbled a bit but he got through it all no problems. Took fingerprints etc and gave us a couple of info sheets... No welcome to America but there were signs on the walls saying that so we took photos with them! Haha!

We then had 4 days in Hawaii and then proceeded with our 8week holiday around the us... Had an amazing time and saw most of the west coast and south.
We had arranged for our apartment in nyc to collect our mail for us so we had the fee in suspense letter / green cards and ssn waiting for us when we arrived last week so no stress of waiting at all!

Starting to live the nyc life now :) we are in the lower east / high midtown area (55th) which is pretty nice - here for 6 weeks while we work out where we want to live / work etc.

Hi! Could you give some insight on how hard it was to find an apartment in NY? and how hard it is to find a job. If we get our GC we will planning on going to NY. I've heard these two things are the hardest thing about NY??

Cheers.

Hi everyone,

Glad to see you're enjoying it already!

Isn't your dog flying over soon?? To Dallas? We got told this week there's been issues with dogs flying to Dallas because of the heat, so we had to pay extra to do a different flight plan thing so the dogs fly in at midnight (hopefully cooler) rather than middle of the day. Not fun.

Isn't your dog flying over soon?? To Dallas? We got told this week there's been issues with dogs flying to Dallas because of the heat, so we had to pay extra to do a different flight plan thing so the dogs fly in at midnight (hopefully cooler) rather than middle of the day. Not fun.

Too bad about the timing of the heatwave and the extra cost but it's good they're being proactive about it and doing what's better for your dog. All the best with that. I know it's a bit nerve-wracking, flying them such a long distance but they'd rather be with you, and vice versa. Well worth it.

Too bad about the timing of the heatwave and the extra cost but it's good they're being proactive about it and doing what's better for your dog. All the best with that. I know it's a bit nerve-wracking, flying them such a long distance but they'd rather be with you, and vice versa. Well worth it.

Yeah it's not good :( We had to switch their whole flight plan, extra $$, and now they'll be traveling for a good 36 hours before they reach us. I'm definitely nervous, my dog isn't the best with behavior either, he can get very anxious and fearful, so I'm just hoping he doesn't get so scared he bites someone.... :(

I'm sure they're used to transporting animals that are nervous and would know how to handle them so that they avoid getting bitten, as best as they could. Our dog seemed a bit distressed and anxious when we picked him up. Understandably so since it's such a strange experience for them but he got over it really quick and is his normal self. It's pretty nerve-wracking for us owners too though. All the best!

Hi everyone,

Hey Petamiss! So glad you dropped by to tell us how it all went for you. What a great trip you must have had - 8 weeks! The US is wonderful for travel, with such variety in landscape, food and people from state to state.

All the best in NYC!

I'm sure they're used to transporting animals that are nervous and would know how to handle them so that they avoid getting bitten, as best as they could. Our dog seemed a bit distressed and anxious when we picked him up. Understandably so since it's such a strange experience for them but he got over it really quick and is his normal self. It's pretty nerve-wracking for us owners too though. All the best!

I hope so! Still worrying though. So no change in behavior or anything from your dog? I feel like my dog will be traumatized, never wanting to get in his crate again for fear of traveling. He's been crate trained since he was 10 weeks old & has no problem with his crate at the moment.. but after such an experience I don't know if that will change his idea on the crate. I'll definitely be the nerve-wracked one haha. We have to pick them up at 1am now so we won't even be able to take him for a run and a play after he gets off the plane! He won't like that. He'll have way too much built up energy to want to go to sleep (cattle dog :[) haha.

Hey guys, apologies for backtracking since I'm sure you've all covered this before.

With regards to the police check I'm just wondering whether you all did this through your state police department or through the AFP? I can see on the Queensland Police website that there's a certificate for a national search and fingerprints for $181, whereas it seems it's cheaper if done through the AFP but I'm not in Canberra obviously.

Did everyone just go through their state police department?

Hey guys, apologies for backtracking since I'm sure you've all covered this before.

With regards to the police check I'm just wondering whether you all did this through your state police department or through the AFP? I can see on the Queensland Police website that there's a certificate for a national search and fingerprints for $181, whereas it seems it's cheaper if done through the AFP but I'm not in Canberra obviously.

Did everyone just go through their state police department?

I just went to my local police station and paid the $181, they took care of it all & sent it off for me. My mum did the same at her local station but they gave her the form to send off herself... Our results both went directly to the embassy as well, not to us.

Brilliant, thanks Jess. Don't suppose you recall how quickly the results went through? Did your mum have any problems taking her report to the interview rather than having it sent beforehand?

I hope so! Still worrying though. So no change in behavior or anything from your dog?

He was a bit clingy for the first few days but that could have been due to the fact that we were also in a totally new place and he had lived in the same house for most of his life. After that, he became his usual mellow self. All dogs are different, of course, and will adapt differently. Just try not to display fretful or nervous behavior yourself as they pick up on that. And give him extra attention and fun times at first.

I feel like my dog will be traumatized, never wanting to get in his crate again for fear of traveling. He's been crate trained since he was 10 weeks old & has no problem with his crate at the moment.. but after such an experience I don't know if that will change his idea on the crate.

Well, that could be a problem :confused: but I hope not. I have to say my dog wasn't happy about the crate he travelled in. We put an ad on Craigslist to sell it soon after he arrived. We thought we'd take a picture of it with our dog inside, to display the size and help sell it better, coz he's so handsome :D. He refused to go in the crate. Even when we put a treat in there. Absolutely refused, no matter how much coaxing, begging and nudging we did. He hated that crate! Maybe it was because of the endless, lonely and confusing time he spent in it? But if your dog is used to crates maybe he won't have such a negative attitude towards it because we only did the crate thing with our dog very briefly when he was young. So it was never a big part of his life.

I'll definitely be the nerve-wracked one haha. We have to pick them up at 1am now so we won't even be able to take him for a run and a play after he gets off the plane! He won't like that. He'll have way too much built up energy to want to go to sleep (cattle dog :[) haha.

Oh dear! I guess that first night will be a tiring, sleepless one for you all ... lol! Like having a newborn baby ;) Maybe just stay up and at first light, go for a good run, then a long nap.

Good luck with everything!

I'll try my best to answer the questions :)

NY - apartments are very expensive - to get something nice with 2 beds and a balcony etc you are looking around 4000 a month.

We are staying in a studio at the moment called globe quarters and its small but nice area and is furnished and can rent month to month so it's good for now.

Jobs - we have only been here a week and really depends on what you do. A lot of jobs here that are admin type jobs require a degree which is very different to home and being that I don't have one I am struggling a little bit. My husband is in finance and is just starting to meet recruiters so not 100% sure there yet. My heart is my own businesses so starting to look into that too.

My dog did really well. We flew him into dallas about 3 weeks ago and yes it was pretty hot even then and they said that they don't really get too many come in through summer.

I used Skypet who were amazing, they totally put up with me being a completely neurotic owner! They also let me have family meet them with him at the airport the morning of the flight instead of making him board with them the night before which was something none of the others would allow.

I also flew him Qantas as my other option was united and when you google their track record that is not even an option.

Lufthansa deals with them on the other end in dallas and they were wonderful. They let me clear him through customs before he even landed which saved us at least 45mins so we were able to get him right away.

We saw his plane land from their office and the driver went right out to get him. He gets put into and a/c van and brought back. The staff at the desk were amazing and knew I wanted him quickly. When we got him we had to cut cable ties off his crate to be able to open it, which is great for extra safety.
He was super excited to be back with us and they have a grassy area so he could relieve himself straight away. He was wet and I'm not sure if that was from his water or a wee but we washed him down straight away.

He fell straight asleep in the car on my lap and was really tired for about a week. He didn't like it when my husband disappeared from his sight for a few days and jumped at loud noises for a few days too but otherwise he is totally back to normal now! His paws totally pick up all the New York street filth tho so having to wash him more!!!