• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Know that we are all thinking of you Jess :) It will be a great day on the 30th :)

Q

Thanks, let's hope so! :S

Ok, getting into super-paranoid-stupid-question mode now...
With the name, address and phone number we need to write on our forms - is the phone number compulsory or just the address? I can ask my friend for his number but would prefer to just fill the address part out if that is an option?

I feel like I'm forgetting something! I have my 1NL (even though it doesn't have that on the checklist?), 2NL, passport, education certificate, birth certificate, police certificate, a copy of the email confirming the consulate has a copy of my medical results, colour copies of everything, and the $330. I am flying to Sydney on Monday and will get my photo done then (no one takes the US photos where I'm from) and the express envelope.

I'm feeling stressed for you already! I can't think of what else you need! I'm sure you've got it all. Do the x-rays need to go to the interview? Or just the folder of paperwork results from the medical place? I totally forgot about US photos! The ones I took for my medical were Australian sized... The ones from when I applied (back in August) were US sized but they're over 6 months old now... damn! I better get some more! Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

So I finally made and am now officially as permanent resident of the unified states.

Flew into customs in Honolulu and it was a breeze.

It was a long wlk from the plane to the customs area, so I didn't get out my big brown envelope until we a actually got in there. The lady directing people seemed confused when I said I was a new immigrant and sent me to the us citizens line. I walked the side and got my brown envelope and x-rays out and kind of stood around looking lost for minute. I was quickly noticed by a customs officer who knew exactly what to do as soon as he saw the brown package.

I was directed up to a window and took a seat. The customs officer at the window seemed a little grumpy he had to process all my paper work, but he was visibly relieved that I required no affidavit of support. He took two index finger prints with ink and then full digital scans and a photo. He gave back my x-rays and told me to keep them in case public health contacted me.

No "welcome to america" from grumpy officer. Whole thing took 15 mins.

I am off to los Angeles next, so I will get to test how it all works passing customs as a resident

Congrats!

Bit sad you didn't get the "welcome to America!" I'm really looking forward to that part! But you're in, you made it! Good work :) Enjoy!

Congrats Dafang! Thanks for letting us know - I'll be going through Honolulu in 2 weeks so hope its easy for me too :)

I think the number is compulsory - I would put it down either way... I don't think they will use it for anything...

Docs - Any marriage / divorce certs? Sounds like you have it all to me... Good luck!

With the name, address and phone number we need to write on our forms - is the phone number compulsory or just the address? I can ask my friend for his number but would prefer to just fill the address part out if that is an option?

I feel like I'm forgetting something! I have my 1NL (even though it doesn't have that on the checklist?), 2NL, passport, education certificate, birth certificate, police certificate, a copy of the email confirming the consulate has a copy of my medical results, colour copies of everything, and the $330. I am flying to Sydney on Monday and will get my photo done then (no one takes the US photos where I'm from) and the express envelope.

I just checked my copy of the forms and I agree with Petamiss - that you need to write the phone number. If it's asked for, they'll want it. I say that because on my forms I had forgotten to put our friend's name who lives at the address. At my interview, they pointed out my omission and asked me to write our friend's name in there. They seem very thorough and there are probably certain key points which they are very strict about and always check. And it's okay to be super-paranoid but there are no stupid questions ;)

Sounds like you're good to go. All the best!!!

Ok thanks for the advice everyone, I have my friends phone number to put down but, ah, slight problem - he is currently traveling in Australia and is in between setting his new place up in LA and therefore has no address right now :/
I have no idea what to do?! I can't use a forwarding service apparently and really have no other ideas of where I can send it? Urgent advice would be really appreciated

Edit: Found an address in MN that will work. I don't have a phone number for that address specifically but another person. It's all I've got so fingers crossed :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Mushy11, congratulations!

When you come down out of the cloud, will you please describe your morning for us????

Thanks!

re-entry with a nolle prosequi

I have entered a pretrial program for a false insurance claim less than $5000 (in 2009) I completed the program successfully my case was nolle prosequi on may 2012 my record is expunged I have all notarized legal court papers .I plan to travel overseas for a month I am a green card holder since 2006 I have been in the country since February 1988 no other problems with the law what so ever
my wife is a citizen I have 2 children that were born here they are over 21 years old now ....
my questions are
1-will I face any problems at the airport when i return
2-am I inadmissible in to U.S
3-will I be able to get my citizenship

It was so quick! And I would have been out earlier if I'd gotten a number faster (was fumbling around to get my passport to show the lady to get into the room!)

My appointment was scheduled for 8am, so I went up to Level 10 (security) just on 7.30 and there were two families already waiting outside the door. The security guards let us in about 5 minutes later and I showed him my passport and got in line to go through the metal detector and put electronic devices in storage and got a plastic number to get them back afterwards. Sat in the chairs to the side and waited for the security guard to call us to the lifts and went up to level 59. Had to show our passports to the lady there and go through and get a number, RTA style. Waited for my number to be called and had gotten my documents out and checked the order while waiting so I wouldn't have to check the order and take it back to her again. She took my fingerprints and gave me a number to go to the cashier window and pay and then took the receipt back to my first window. Had a seat for a while then was called to a different window where my documents were checked, addresses confirmed and held up my right hand and swore I was telling the truth and all info was correct. She said she saw no problem with my case so far and gave me back my original docs and I sat down again, I went through to make sure I got all my original docs back and she accidentally gave me my original police cert AND the copy. I was called to another window for the interview part of the appointment (window #1, unbelievable view of the harbour bridge!) and gave her the copy (just check your docs, you never know. If she had said I was missing my police cert I would have panicked but I actually had it with me haha) The lady asked all the basic questions, have I been married, have any children, have a police record (all no), how was my medical, have I been to the states before, where do I intend to live and why do I want to go there. She then congratulated me and gave me a slip of paper that says congratulations, your visa has been approved and says it'll take 5 days to print and ill get an email instructing me on what docs to take when entering the US (she briefly explained the sealed envelope and to take my x rays) and I was on my way!

So much stress for a simple appointment! I suppose everyone worries their case will be different; that they will have done something wrong. But everyone is lovely, just follow the checklist for documents, double check everything and take anything extra with you just in case. Happy to answer any questions! Thank you all for your incredible advice through this process, it's made it so much easier! Really appreciate all the help! :)

Fantastic, mushy!!! Great news, thanks for letting us know so quickly. I was thinking about you. Yeah, like you said "so much stress for a simple appointment" .... lol! The hardest part is getting selected, the rest is just a formality. All the best!

Fantastic, mushy!!! Great news, thanks for letting us know so quickly. I was thinking about you. Yeah, like you said "so much stress for a simple appointment" .... lol! The hardest part is getting selected, the rest is just a formality. All the best!

Thank you!! So true! The initial selection is definitely the hardest part, but also the part we have the least input in. Thank you! So happy!

Congrats Mushy11

The view from the window is quite impressive. It helps calm the nerves

Thank you!! :) It really does actually, it's so beautiful that it did relax me haha

Congrats mushy, that's great! Hopefully your passport will arrive back super quick.

And congrats dafang, must be so exciting to finally be there.

Four and a half days til I head off, and I'm a little overwhelmed with how much I need to do til then. Two uni assignments due on Friday, packing, sorting out travel arrangements for after I'm in the states as I fly out to Europe three weeks later, seeing friends and family one more time before I go... I'll be looking forward to a nice sleep in after my first night there, considering my flight lands in Boston at 9:30pm but won't make it home til about 11pm.

Had my interview today, with success!

So happy and relieved that it's over. The woman who interview me was so nice and made me feel so relaxed, and that view from the window is pretty cool.

The warmest congratulations to mushy and kester :)

Hope to see that view myself one day soon

Q

Congrats Mushy & Kester! Its great to hear that it was nice and easy for you both.

Sounds like Sydney is quite consistent in their approach to these visas as most of us have had pretty much the exact same experience.

Where and when are you guys off to?