• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

All the best defang! As I'm typing this, you're probably already on your way to Honolulu, if not there already, making your grand entrance :D

This thread has been wonderful. I love how we've helped each other along the way and been there for each other when we've been freaking out. Good one, mushy, re the USCIS fee! :cool: I just rechecked that I have that reminder in my phone to remind me to pay it beginning of May, just before we leave.

Good luck to you too, bella! It's 3 weeks today for us. We'll be driving over the border into Washington state, then heading on our 10-day road trip to our new home. It's so exciting!!! We've been packing for a week already, bit by bit so that it's not a huge job at the end.

Qewty, it's always lovely having you here. I'm going to sending some especially positive thoughts out your way for the 1st of May.

Goodness so much to catch up on!

Good luck Mushy! My medical was sent to the consulate by the doctors and we had a copy for our records too.

I also didnt think you could use a PO Box.. We are using our hotel / apartment who have agreed to collect mail for us whilst we are travelling around for the 1st 10 weeks.

How exciting dafang!! I would love to hear your POE experience through Honolulu as i will be going through there as well in 16 more sleeps! (excited much haha)

We have sold almost all of our stuff, house is up for rent, hubby is madly finishing up at work, farewell party planned and the dog is all organised to join us in Dallas in 9 weeks :) He is the bit that i am most worried about...

Qewty - Thinking of you and have my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Quick tip - anyone looking for cheapest flights etc - there is an app called skyscanner that looks up all the airlines that go to and from any destination in the world - AMAZING!!! Saved heaps of cash using that one :)

We have sold almost all of our stuff, house is up for rent, hubby is madly finishing up at work, farewell party planned and the dog is all organised to join us in Dallas in 9 weeks :) He is the bit that i am most worried about...

My dog is going to be flying into Dallas as well in July! I'm worried too! Are you going through a pet shipping company? Definitely must let me know how he is when you pick him up in Dallas and any extra little information! It's stressing me out big time! Getting his rabies shot done soon as well... Ahhhh

Yeah, it's obviously not fun for the doggies because they don't know what the bloody hell is going on, but at the end of it, they have you, you have them and it's all good! Our old mate is still going strong, he turned 13 yesterday. It wasn't pleasant putting him through that long flight in 2011 (as if it's pleasant for us humans either!) but we'd have it no other way.

All the best everyone! You and your doggies!

Wow - What a coincidence!

I am using Skypet - They were the only company that would let me have someone drop him to the airport on the day of the flight rather than boarding him the night before which just seemed unnecessary to me.
They are also putting up with me asking a million questions!!! If you are looking for one they are great so far - call and speak to Sue.

I had his rabies shots already, that was no drama :)

Ill def let you know when i pick him up - I'm sending him on the 5th - how about you?

My dog is going to be flying into Dallas as well in July! I'm worried too! Are you going through a pet shipping company? Definitely must let me know how he is when you pick him up in Dallas and any extra little information! It's stressing me out big time! Getting his rabies shot done soon as well... Ahhhh

Wow - What a coincidence!

I am using Skypet - They were the only company that would let me have someone drop him to the airport on the day of the flight rather than boarding him the night before which just seemed unnecessary to me.
They are also putting up with me asking a million questions!!! If you are looking for one they are great so far - call and speak to Sue.

Ah, mine has to go in the day before as well for all the vet work etc "in case there's any issues, you don't want them to miss their flight on the day" etc etc..

We're flying with Dogtainers, I know several of the girls who work there, all fellow dog trainers I worked with for awhile. So I know he'll be in good hands with them, and people he knows - should make it easier for him on this end. He can't fly out until the 16th anyways (no flights), we go on the 14th, so he'll be staying with my friend who works there, I think it'll be easier on him that way too, knowing people. It's the Dallas end I'm worried about.... Poor thing D:

Ill def let you know when i pick him up - I'm sending him on the 5th - how about you?

16th for my dog! Is your flight direct to Dallas from Sydney? We were told there's extra costs on the Dallas end too once you pick them up, but they couldn't give us an exact amount cause it always varies between airports, dog, customs, etc.

Good luck Mushy! My medical was sent to the consulate by the doctors and we had a copy for our records too.

I also didnt think you could use a PO Box.. We are using our hotel / apartment who have agreed to collect mail for us whilst we are travelling around for the 1st 10 weeks.

Quick tip - anyone looking for cheapest flights etc - there is an app called skyscanner that looks up all the airlines that go to and from any destination in the world - AMAZING!!! Saved heaps of cash using that one :)

Thank you! I ended up calling the Dr Rappaport's office to confirm it had been sent to the consulate, and followed that up with an email to make sure the consulate had received it! Sounding a bit obsessive, BUT, I can't really be too careful with this!!!!

I think I'll just have it sent to my friend in LA, much easier. I suppose I'll have to use his phone number as well? Unless there is another way to get around that?

Also, that app is FANTASTIC!!! Thank you for the recommendation! Will definitely be booking all my flights through that app now! (Also checked out domestic flights within the US, so exciting!)

Haha, I'm doing the same but the week after you! Flying down Monday & my interview is Tuesday! Daunting!

No way! Haha, maybe I'll bump into you someday :p

Oh awesome! Sorry, but it'll be the slowest week of your life! This week is draggingggggg for me! What time is your interview? What was your case number? Interesting to see the progression of numbers in one week. (Mine was '98*')

We need a codeword I can drop into every conversation I strike up! It's a small world, we're sure to bump into each other at some point, I bet! Hahaha

Oh awesome! Sorry, but it'll be the slowest week of your life! This week is draggingggggg for me! What time is your interview? What was your case number? Interesting to see the progression of numbers in one week. (Mine was '98*')

We need a codeword I can drop into every conversation I strike up! It's a small world, we're sure to bump into each other at some point, I bet! Hahaha

I've got lots of assignments to do this week so that'll keep me busy for the most part.. but they're so boring and I can't focus! Too busy looking up cars & places to rent in the US! & online window shopping... It's so addictive. Not a fan of slow weeks! I'm going family based immigration :p so I don't have a case number like this. I could have had mine earlier but we delayed a bit.

Haha I'm sure the Aussie accents will bring up the whole "how'd you get here, green card, me too!" then go from there ;) haha!

I've been reading this thread for the last few months, seeing as I have my interview on Tuesday I thought I'd post a quick message wishing anyone else having theirs good luck.

Fingers crossed it all goes well for us all.

I've been reading this thread for the last few months, seeing as I have my interview on Tuesday I thought I'd post a quick message wishing anyone else having theirs good luck.

Hey Kester, good luck to you! Keep us posted.

I've got lots of assignments to do this week so that'll keep me busy for the most part.. but they're so boring and I can't focus! Too busy looking up cars & places to rent in the US! & online window shopping... It's so addictive. Not a fan of slow weeks! I'm going family based immigration :p so I don't have a case number like this. I could have had mine earlier but we delayed a bit.

Haha I'm sure the Aussie accents will bring up the whole "how'd you get here, green card, me too!" then go from there ;) haha!

Oh that's right I forgot you were going family-based, Woops!
That's good you have something to (try and) focus on! Totally understand those distractions though! It's hard though because I can't set anything in stone because I haven't actually received the 'yes' yet!
True, that'll work! Haha

Good luck Kester! Are you interviewing in Sydney? I also have my interview on Tuesday, so exciting!
Hope all goes well for you! :)

That's good you have something to (try and) focus on! Totally understand those distractions though! It's hard though because I can't set anything in stone because I haven't actually received the 'yes' yet!

I don't have a 'yes' yet either, I could still be turned away... We had big problems when applying because of a simple signature error and by the time they got it back to us to fix it was almost my 21st birthday.. (whole different category, 11 year wait!!) Soo problem after problem, but we think it's all on track now :\

Either way, positive thinking! We booked the flights, cause we'd go either way to see family. But as soon as I get that official 'yes' at the interview I'm going to go crazy with excitement!

True, that'll work! Haha

Good luck Kester! Are you interviewing in Sydney? I also have my interview on Tuesday, so exciting!
Hope all goes well for you! :)

Yep my interview in 9.00 AM, Tuesday morning.

Hope it all work out for you too.

I don't have a 'yes' yet either, I could still be turned away... We had big problems when applying because of a simple signature error and by the time they got it back to us to fix it was almost my 21st birthday.. (whole different category, 11 year wait!!) Soo problem after problem, but we think it's all on track now :\

Either way, positive thinking! We booked the flights, cause we'd go either way to see family. But as soon as I get that official 'yes' at the interview I'm going to go crazy with excitement!

Whoa, that sucks you've had so much trouble with it, but definitely good that you've still got this opportunity!
Yep, positive thinking all the way! :)

Ok, getting into super-paranoid-stupid-question mode now...
With the name, address and phone number we need to write on our forms - is the phone number compulsory or just the address? I can ask my friend for his number but would prefer to just fill the address part out if that is an option?

I feel like I'm forgetting something! I have my 1NL (even though it doesn't have that on the checklist?), 2NL, passport, education certificate, birth certificate, police certificate, a copy of the email confirming the consulate has a copy of my medical results, colour copies of everything, and the $330. I am flying to Sydney on Monday and will get my photo done then (no one takes the US photos where I'm from) and the express envelope.

So I finally made and am now officially as permanent resident of the unified states.

Flew into customs in Honolulu and it was a breeze.

It was a long wlk from the plane to the customs area, so I didn't get out my big brown envelope until we a actually got in there. The lady directing people seemed confused when I said I was a new immigrant and sent me to the us citizens line. I walked the side and got my brown envelope and x-rays out and kind of stood around looking lost for minute. I was quickly noticed by a customs officer who knew exactly what to do as soon as he saw the brown package.

I was directed up to a window and took a seat. The customs officer at the window seemed a little grumpy he had to process all my paper work, but he was visibly relieved that I required no affidavit of support. He took two index finger prints with ink and then full digital scans and a photo. He gave back my x-rays and told me to keep them in case public health contacted me.

No "welcome to america" from grumpy officer. Whole thing took 15 mins.

I am off to los Angeles next, so I will get to test how it all works passing customs as a resident