• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Received my 2NL yesterday and have spent all morning reading threads and getting updated on everything!!
Interview is scheduled in Sydney for late April; booked my medical yesterday with Dr Rappaport (any of you guys see her for your medical?) and also booked flights for medical AND for interview!
Am starting to round everything up but have had most documents ready since the 1NL! Now just really need to get my medical done (early March) and my police check! My mind is really racing though! I've been calm for the past 9 months and now everything is moving along and it's so exciting AND nerve-wracking! Panic mode has been switched on!!

Have a few (probably silly) questions though which I would really appreciate any help with..
1. Does anyone who went to the George Street Medical Centre know if the passport sized photos should be US/Australian standards? I saw a few posts about it but I don't think it matters which kind? And do the photos need to be different or just copies of the same photo?
2. I'll be getting a copy of my immunisation records on Monday from my local GP - I started getting my extra vaccines started around December to make sure I had any and every vaccine I could need, done. I discovered that a few of these vaccines need boosters, and I am due for one booster the day before my medical (so should be fine), and another is due for the month after my interview, and a last one is due for around September...! Does anyone have experience of this slowing down the process or causing issues?!!
3. Anyone else who went to see Dr Rappaport/Dr Waks (I believe they're at the same building..?), it seems like you all had to have the blood test in building but had to go somewhere else for the x-ray? Is it far etc? I'm not a local so that could be interesting if I have to get it done the day of, seeing as I have a flight back home that afternoon. (The email said the medical could take between 2-3 hours depending on the person, but some have said it actually took much less time?)
4. My mind is racing forward a bit... but, are most people going with using usabox.com etc for their postage address for their actual green card? (If they haven't found a place to live prior to their interview) Has anyone experienced trouble with this? It's most likely I'll go over, do my POE and get my temporary GC, find a place to live and set things up, then come back to Australia for a few weeks and then bring my last things over. What have others done for shipping etc? Do you try and pack everything you can into your suitcases or what method of shipping do you use for sending your belongings over? And any recommendations for what should I do ASAP when I land in the US? (Feel like I'm getting ahead of myself but I want to be organised..! :/) Such as setting up bank accounts, social security number etc etc?

Really appreciate any help and good luck to everyone no matter what stage you're at! :)

- Mushy

mushy11

I had Dr Rappaport. She is excellent. Really friendly and funny and there to help you. I kind of wish she was my regular doctor.

Passport photos can be any size.

I wasn't local either. Finding the X-Ray place is easy. It is a 10 min walk from the medical centre. Dr Rappaport joked that successfully following the directions to the X-Ray place is the intelligence test part of the medical.

Blood test is in the building.

Immunisation stuff isn't much stress. I didn't have any of my records and was given 2 shots on the day.

I am currently trying to sort out shipping belongings. I don't want to have too much with me while I look for a place, so I am not taking much on my first trip. There are a few services that allow you to ship excess baggage via air, but they are quite expensive.

If you can wait and ship by sea, it is much cheaper. I am looking at using these guys. I am not having too much sent over. I like the idea of starting fresh.

http://www.upakweship.com/index.php

Thank you so much for your reply, dafang!

That's a great help and a load off my mind to know she's a lovely doctor!
Haha, part of the intelligence test, I'll have my iPhone maps handy just in case ;)
That all calms me down a bit though, thank you!

Hmm I like the idea of starting fresh too.. but obviously SOME things will have to be shipped! That looks like a good option, thanks for the link!!! :)

What stage are you at in the whole process now? :)

I have my visa in my passport (yes relief) getting ready to leave in a few weeks.

Now I have to think about the practical things. Bank accounts, drivers license, buying a car, insurance and the most important it seems, building a USA credit rating. Things are pretty difficult without that.

Lots of research done, more still to do.

1. CN : 2013AS000096**
1st NL Checked : 1st May 2012
Sent Forms to KCC : 28th May 2012
KCC Confirmation : I phoned and confirmed (Nov 08/2012)
PCC : Going on
Medicals : Not yet
Interview : ?
POE : ?

Hi friends,
I hope everyone is doing well. I have a question regarding the expiry date of police report. I have been in two countries. I have applied for police reports in both countries, I have already got all of them (including Australia where currently I live). I born in Sri Lanka and left Sri Lanka in 2006 when I was 22 years old. In this situation, will US Embassy still consider the expiry date of Sri Lankan police report? (Please Note: No Police Report has expiry date) Because I have not been living in Sri Lanka last 7 years. I believe the expiry date of police report is applicable (should be considered) for Australia where currently I live.

Please advice.

Thanks

Kuna

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as shipping stuff, it's cheaper by ship. If you can't fill a container yourself, your shipment will be in a shared container. I wouldn't ship big items like furniture or mattresses, unless your furniture is valuable antiques or family heirlooms you can't part with. They charge by volume, not weight. If you pack yourself, it'll be cheaper but you won't be able to insure for breakage. So use lots of packing material, like the professional removalists do, or don't ship fragile or easily breakable items. Or be prepared for the odd breakage - not much actually. And surprisingly, we found wooden furniture is surprisingly fragile - that's been where most of the damage has been, both times (Canada to Oz, and Oz to Canada). Get a few quotes from different shipping companies, as they can vary by a lot.

We moved to Canada right before finding out we were selected in DV2013, so we'll be doing this whole moving/shipping nightmare again, far sooner than anticipated. So far, quotes have been surprisingly high, due to the fact we'll be shipping over land this time, and not sea. We'll be packing ourselves, and paring down our stuff by a lot, to cut down on costs. I'm okay with that but there are some things - memorabilia, art work collected over the years, and other meaningful things that I won't part with. They're what make my living space my own, and what makes my house 'my home'. And that's been important to me, when moving to a new place, and there's that initial homesickness and unsettled feeling.

Craigslist will be your friend in the US. You'll pick up some amazing deals on Craigslist, or garage sales. Also, most retail items are cheaper in the US and when they have a sale, they have a SALE! And frequent ones - post Christmas, President's Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, .... any excuse to have a sale. They also have some great discount stores like Marshall's, Big Lots, TJ Max, and Home Goods which are great for not just clothes and shoes, but many home furnishings, kitchenware, linens, etc. I picked up a Zyliss garlic press at Marshall's for $2. The exact same one in Myer was almost $30. Then you have your Walmart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. So many options, so really think twice about shipping everyday, ordinary stuff you can get in the US.

Good luck Vichel ! I've been following your posts on here for such a long time, can't believe the interview is here :) To Bella, Jess and all the other Aussies, it won't be long before you're all Stateside too - good luck!

Q

Thanks, Qewty! I've been following your very encouraging and optimistic posts here for a while too and have always felt a personal sense of disappointment whenever you said you weren't selected. If anyone should be selected next, it's you! Wishing you and everyone the best. Thanks for being here for us. I'm needing the support at this time. The worrying is getting to me.

I have my visa in my passport (yes relief) getting ready to leave in a few weeks.

Now I have to think about the practical things. Bank accounts, drivers license, buying a car, insurance and the most important it seems, building a USA credit rating. Things are pretty difficult without that.

Lots of research done, more still to do.

Oh wow!!!! Congratulations!

Yes, that next stage is quite exciting though I bet!!! Always more to do, but you've got the visa, that's incredible!

As far as shipping stuff, it's cheaper by ship. If you can't fill a container yourself, your shipment will be in a shared container. I wouldn't ship big items like furniture or mattresses, unless your furniture is valuable antiques or family heirlooms you can't part with. They charge by volume, not weight. If you pack yourself, it'll be cheaper but you won't be able to insure for breakage. So use lots of packing material, like the professional removalists do, or don't ship fragile or easily breakable items. Or be prepared for the odd breakage - not much actually. And surprisingly, we found wooden furniture is surprisingly fragile - that's been where most of the damage has been, both times (Canada to Oz, and Oz to Canada). Get a few quotes from different shipping companies, as they can vary by a lot.

We moved to Canada right before finding out we were selected in DV2013, so we'll be doing this whole moving/shipping nightmare again, far sooner than anticipated. So far, quotes have been surprisingly high, due to the fact we'll be shipping over land this time, and not sea. We'll be packing ourselves, and paring down our stuff by a lot, to cut down on costs. I'm okay with that but there are some things - memorabilia, art work collected over the years, and other meaningful things that I won't part with. They're what make my living space my own, and what makes my house 'my home'. And that's been important to me, when moving to a new place, and there's that initial homesickness and unsettled feeling.

Craigslist will be your friend in the US. You'll pick up some amazing deals on Craigslist, or garage sales. Also, most retail items are cheaper in the US and when they have a sale, they have a SALE! And frequent ones - post Christmas, President's Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, .... any excuse to have a sale. They also have some great discount stores like Marshall's, Big Lots, TJ Max, and Home Goods which are great for not just clothes and shoes, but many home furnishings, kitchenware, linens, etc. I picked up a Zyliss garlic press at Marshall's for $2. The exact same one in Myer was almost $30. Then you have your Walmart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. So many options, so really think twice about shipping everyday, ordinary stuff you can get in the US.

That's fantastic information, thank you!
I think I'll be packing quite light really, I'm only 21 so I haven't accumulated too much in terms of furniture or large items like that.

Ahh that's a touch frustrating having to pack up again, but the best circumstances to do it under!! Always nice to go through things and clear everything out though, I think! Yes, those items that make a house a home are what you can't leave behind, you'll settle in so much faster having those items with you!!

I've heard of a few friends who have travelled/moved to the US saying that everyday items are considerably cheaper over there, thanks to Walmart, Target, Costco etc etc. Good point about the sales too!! Definitely looking forward to those! Haha (And wow, the garlic press at Myer being $30 compared to $2!!!!! I have so many kitchen appliances and items here that I'm weighing up on shipping but by the sounds of it, I could really buy a lot of it there..!)
Yes Craigslist and garage sales is probably the way to go on a lot of items, thanks for the tip!

That's really useful information, thank you!

Thanks, Qewty! I've been following your very encouraging and optimistic posts here for a while too and have always felt a personal sense of disappointment whenever you said you weren't selected. If anyone should be selected next, it's you! Wishing you and everyone the best. Thanks for being here for us. I'm needing the support at this time. The worrying is getting to me.

Agree with this so much Vichel!
Love seeing your optimistic and helpful posts on here Qewty and I think so many of us all hope that this will be your year. You've been so helpful and courteous to selectees even though it must be tough for you, but it is truly appreciated. Hoping for the best for you! Fingers crossed for you that DV2014 will be your time!

I think I'll be packing quite light really, I'm only 21 so I haven't accumulated too much in terms of furniture or large items like that.

Haha, I'm only 21 as well... But I'm a bit of a hoarder. So I've been finding it really difficult to part with a lot of stuff while planning for whats to be packed/shipped etc. I have some things which really have to be shipped... Like a 15+kg rubber band ball...... (long story). There's no way that'd get in my plane luggage, nor would it make it past customs, I'm sure it'd be declared dangerous haha.

But with the recent storms, my ceiling leaked. So I actually had no choice but to throw out HEAPS of stuff that got wet, and few weeks later now things are going moldy... It's good fun... But my sister keeps telling me "the world is just trying to help you downsize so you don't have to pack and move so much!" Ahhh... But still 4 months to go before I leave, I still needed some of that stuff :( hahaha.

Haha, I'm only 21 as well... But I'm a bit of a hoarder. So I've been finding it really difficult to part with a lot of stuff while planning for whats to be packed/shipped etc. I have some things which really have to be shipped... Like a 15+kg rubber band ball...... (long story). There's no way that'd get in my plane luggage, nor would it make it past customs, I'm sure it'd be declared dangerous haha.

But with the recent storms, my ceiling leaked. So I actually had no choice but to throw out HEAPS of stuff that got wet, and few weeks later now things are going moldy... It's good fun... But my sister keeps telling me "the world is just trying to help you downsize so you don't have to pack and move so much!" Ahhh... But still 4 months to go before I leave, I still needed some of that stuff :( hahaha.

Haha a rubber band ball?!! Love it!!! But you've gotta take what you've gotta take - if you can't part with it then don't! :)

Oh no, that sucks! I think your sister is right, but it still is unfortunate :( Hopefully you can start fresh mostly.. as Vichel commented above, there are so many great options for buying things over there that are so much cheaper than here!

Only four months! That's so exciting!!!! Flights booked???!

LOL! I had a rubber band ball once too. No need to explain, I understand the attachment to it :D Funny though, I don't know what happened to it. I know I didn't get rid of it. It just disappeared :confused:

Thanks Qewty! It's a pretty exciting process, I just pray the interview goes smoothly and I'll be holding my passport soon enough after it.

Mushy, Jessjames, I'm 24 - so we're pretty close in age!

I've been planning an eventual move to the US since 2011 (it was pure luck that I won the lottery, I hadn't fully worked out how I was going to make the move permanent), and I go to the States from May-Oct to work at camp there. I've been taking over two full bags with me, and leaving most of it there. Plus I will be going in May, coming back in Aug for my teaching internship, returning for Christmas, coming back for my formal graduation, and then making the final move early next year, so I'll have quite a few chances to bring more stuff over. I've definitely downsized a lot of what I have.

dafang, how exciting for you! Yeah, there is heaps of research to do. I think my biggest concern is just finding a job over there. I think I might even consider applying for jobs before I go, and seeing if any places will do a skype interview with me.

Where in the States is everyone planning to live when you eventually get there? I'm heading for central Massachusetts

Thanks Qewty! It's a pretty exciting process, I just pray the interview goes smoothly and I'll be holding my passport soon enough after it.

Mushy, Jessjames, I'm 24 - so we're pretty close in age!

Where in the States is everyone planning to live when you eventually get there? I'm heading for central Massachusetts

Ahh we are all pretty close in age! That's awesome!
It's probably a lot easier for us.. less likely to have spouses, kids etc (unless you do which is cool too! Haha)

This is actually my first time entering, so I feel so blessed to have been selected. I heard about the lottery in 2010 from a friend in Sydney but registration had closed so I entered the next year and here I am now!
I had been planning and thinking about moving to the US since I was in high school though, and basically worked out that there are very few ways for me to get there, so I'm very thankful I was selected for this. I would have had a crazy hard time getting over there otherwise.

That's really good you can go back and forth for a while getting everything settled. Right now I'm toying with the idea of going over for POE and then coming back and getting any last minute things worked out.. and it'll probably alleviate a lot of the stress if I know I'll be back here to sort out any last minute things.. but, it IS extra money for flights etc. Still thinking about it really..

My interview is in April but I'm already getting my mind around health insurance, banks, shipping a few things over, a job! etc etc Quite daunting but really exciting too! Money is also on my mind a lot :/ Can't be avoided I suppose haha

I'm planning on going to Los Angeles! (Part of my money worries are because of LA, so damn expensive!)

It was my first time entering too, we got lucky hey!

I do have a fiancee, but they live in the States - which is the reason why I am moving there. So the timing of this couldn't be better. I do have a couple things worked out - can go on my partner's health insurance, and I already have a bank account set up. But all the rest, especially finding a job, is stressing me out.

LA is gorgeous! What are you hoping to do there for work?

I am off to Los Angeles too.

I have found it to be much cheaper than where I live now in Melbourne. In fact, Sydney and Melbourne are in the top 5 most expensive cities in the world. LA doesn't make the top ten.

Plus I will be going in May, coming back in Aug for my teaching internship, returning for Christmas, coming back for my formal graduation

Hey Bella

Gratz on the upcoming graduation. Do you plan to find a teaching job when you are over there?

What made you choose Massachusetts or is that because the fiance lives there?

Matthew

1. CN : 2013AS000096**
1st NL Checked : 1st May 2012
Sent Forms to KCC : 28th May 2012
KCC Confirmation : I phoned and confirmed (Nov 08/2012)
PCC : Going on
Medicals : Not yet
Interview : ?
POE : ?

Hi friends,
I hope everyone is doing well. I have a question regarding the expiry date of police report. I have been in two countries. I have applied for police reports in both countries, I have already got all of them (including Australia where currently I live). I born in Sri Lanka and left Sri Lanka in 2006 when I was 22 years old. In this situation, will US Embassy still consider the expiry date of Sri Lankan police report? (Please Note: No Police Report has expiry date) Because I have not been living in Sri Lanka last 7 years. I believe the expiry date of police report is applicable (should be considered) for Australia where currently I live.

Please advice.

Thanks

Kuna

Only four months! That's so exciting!!!! Flights booked???!

I'm actually getting my green card from family based visas, but no where is more helpful and informative than this forum so I'm still sneaking in... I had been relying on the DV lottery but I got lucky when my mum & step-dad (US citizen) decided they were going to move back there! Just in time! We only JUST got to apply before I turned 21, almost fell into a different category with an 11 year wait! So I've got a much faster process for my GC, haven't had the interview yet but I know it'l be soon.. But no, no flights yet, I can't enter the US until my step-dad 'reclaims' his residency so I have to go over when they do.. it should be June but they're trying to sell their house here so it could be earlier, or later... who knows yet!

LOL! I had a rubber band ball once too. No need to explain, I understand the attachment to it :D Funny though, I don't know what happened to it. I know I didn't get rid of it. It just disappeared :confused:

YES! Hahaha, mine had a MySpace page back in the day.. It's name is Malcolm :\ haha. I even made a video for a high school assignment yearss ago about it.. It's on youtube somewhere haha.

Ahh we are all pretty close in age! That's awesome!
It's probably a lot easier for us.. less likely to have spouses, kids etc (unless you do which is cool too! Haha)

I've got a dog... It makes things a bit more difficult haha. But I'm bringing him with me, of course! *expensive* :(

I'm planning on going to Los Angeles! (Part of my money worries are because of LA, so damn expensive!)

I'm going to Los Angeles too! But not right away. I'm going to do a uni exchange first for a year in Nebraska.. Then I'll make my way over to LA! What are you hoping to do in LA for work?