* Application received: 3/25/11
* Cashed MoneyOrder:yes
* FP Notice mailed (from online status): pending
* FP letter received: pending
* FP Appointment date:
* Interview Letter received:
* Interview Date:
* Oath

Hey guys I have a question.. I have my finger printing scheduled for late April. I am more worried about the interview. I got a DUI in Jan. 2003. Like 8+ years ago. My records were expunged. Do I need to bring the original court certified documents from the city where it happened (really hard to go back to that city). I got a criminal history from that city that shows the records were expunged. Since it has been more than 5 years.. will I still need to get those sealed court records or just the criminal record from that county is enough?
Thank you in advance for the reply.

Hey guys I have a question.. I have my finger printing scheduled for late April. I am more worried about the interview. I got a DUI in Jan. 2003. Like 8+ years ago. My records were expunged. Do I need to bring the original court certified documents from the city where it happened (really hard to go back to that city). I got a criminal history from that city that shows the records were expunged. Since it has been more than 5 years.. will I still need to get those sealed court records or just the criminal record from that county is enough?
Thank you in advance for the reply.

If you checked the box on the N-400 that asks you about whether you were arrested, detained cited ... etc then you will get a yellow letter asking you to bring a drivers license and a certified court dockets showing the disposition of the case. Not that it would harm your N-400 because it happened out of the statutory period of 5 years from the date you filed ....

if you don't have your certified court dockets on the day of your interview, you case might be unnecessary delayed, and you don't want that ...

Depends on the state, but It can be difficult to seal an adult record even with an attorney. you have to prove that there is a safety or privacy concern that outweighs the public interest.

But anyway, Expunging was very much sufficient.... just take the Certified court dockets with you and you are all set ....
Good Luck

If you checked the box on the N-400 that asks you about whether you were arrested, detained cited ... etc then you will get a yellow letter asking you to bring a drivers license and a certified court dockets showing the disposition of the case. . . .

Not Necessarily. In 2009, my wife went through the process successfully without receiving any YL. And, I am about two weeks and a half away from my ID and I haven't received any YL so far.

Both my wife and I had reported traffic citations.

I think it really depends on the actual case. If your case involved a DUI, then I think you must have a court records, even if they don't ask for it.

Here is a update from me. FP "notice mailed" e-mail received on 4/7, received FP letter on 4/11, FP appointment 4/29.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for the prompt response.. I guess I will call the lawyer I had 8 years ago and ask him if he can get the records from the court for me.. it is almost impossible for me to go back to mid-west and get those records as I am a Med student now and can't really miss any classes.. Any how thank you for replying.

Not Necessarily. In 2009, my wife went through the process successfully without receiving any YL. And, I am about two weeks and a half away from my ID and I haven't received any YL so far.

Both my wife and I had reported traffic citations.

Not every USCIS employee does the job asked of him/her in an honest way ... some of them would skip sending out yellow letters ... but If an N-400 applicant with problems with the law does not take certified court dockets with him/her to the interview ..... rest assured that the process will get delayed until further notice ..... its just USCIS way of doing business ...

I think it really depends on the actual case. If your case involved a DUI, then I think you must have a court records, even if they don't ask for it.

USCIS intervewing officer will ask the applicant from the N-400 application Line by line ... and when he/she gets to the questions about arrests, citations....etc . he /she will ask about those court dockets ... I am sure about that ...

Thank you guys for the prompt response.. I guess I will call the lawyer I had 8 years ago and ask him if he can get the records from the court for me.. it is almost impossible for me to go back to mid-west and get those records as I am a Med student now and can't really miss any classes.. Any how thank you for replying.

A Lawyer or anyone with your power of attorney will do the job ..

Good Luck

A Lawyer or anyone with your power of attorney will do the job ..

Good Luck

Thanks again for all the help. I called the district court and talked to the clerk. I guess if I write them a letter they are able to send it out to me. I have to pay something like $10 for it. I am glad I got the advise here... so the next question would be what are the chances they could reject my case because of that 8 year old DUI?

Thanks again for all the help. I called the district court and talked to the clerk. I guess if I write them a letter they are able to send it out to me. I have to pay something like $10 for it. I am glad I got the advise here... so the next question would be what are the chances they could reject my case because of that 8 year old DUI?

If USCIS follows the proper procedures, the interview should go smoothly and your case should be recommended for approval ...
I don't think you'll any problems at all .......

0 chance of getting rejected, if for some twisted reason USCIS denied your N-400 application, appeal that decision and a USCIS supervisor should overrule the previous decision and grant you a US citizenship...

Good Luck

Ok, I have an updated. Checked the online status and it moved to a "Testing and Interview".. It says the case has been transferred to a local office, etc.. I guess the case is moving and I can expect the interview letter anytime..

03/08 - Mailed package to Phoenix, AZ via USPS Express Mail
03/10 - Delivered
03/15 - Check cashed
03/18 - NOA received
03/21 - FP NOA received
03/25 - FP walk-in done
04/12 - Case transferred to a local office

Ok, I have an updated. Checked the online status and it moved to a "Testing and Interview".. It says the case has been transferred to a local office, etc.. I guess the case is moving and I can expect the interview letter anytime..

03/08 - Mailed package to Phoenix, AZ via USPS Express Mail
03/10 - Delivered
03/15 - Check cashed
03/18 - NOA received
03/21 - FP NOA received
03/25 - FP walk-in done
04/12 - Case transferred to a local office

Yep, within a week or so.

Congratulations ... your case is moving

I lost my DL yesterday... :( Replacement is ordered but will take about 6 weeks. Does anyone know if I be okay with the temporary one in case I will not receive it before interview date?

I lost my DL yesterday... :( Replacement is ordered but will take about 6 weeks. Does anyone know if I be okay with the temporary one in case I will not receive it before interview date?

If you want to feel more comfortable, go and get a "Non-Driver Identification Card". It works well since its a state issued photo ID.
For your information: Experience comes from real life learning -- I do not have a driver's license :)

March 23 2011: Mail N-400 + GC copy + $680 check + 2 photos to Phoenix lockbox.
March 29 2011: NOA (via email and text)
April 13 2011 : FP notice mailed (Online status)

Mailed to Phoenix, AZ via USPS Express Mail

Me and spouse
* Sent N-400: 3/24/11
* Application received: 3/25/11
* PD: 03/25/2011
* Check cashed: 3/29/11
* SMS & Email receipt: 3/30/11
* FP letter mailed: 04/01/2011 (email notification)
* NOA received: 04/02/2011
* FP letter received:04/09/2011
* FP Appointment date:04/26/2011
* Interview Letter received:
* Interview Date:
* Oath Date:

If you want to feel more comfortable, go and get a "Non-Driver Identification Card". It works well since its a state issued photo ID.
For your information: Experience comes from real life learning -- I do not have a driver's license

I wish I could.. State completely redesigned all ID's last October that is why the wait is 6-8 weeks. I got an interim license but it does not have a picture on it.