• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery

warango

Registered Users (C)
I recently won the lottery visa but I have a concern about my family.
Me and my common law partner have been together for 5 years now and we have a child together who is American Citizen.
Presently, we live in Canada and since I won the lottery visa I wanted to move back to the US with my family. On my DV application, I didn't mention that I was married.
I would like to know if there is a way that I add my wife to my file. We are not legally married yet due to some circumstances, family matters, and due to the fact that I was married before. I'd already divorced with my ex-wife. I don't know if the fact that we have a child together and we've been living together for at least 5 years (we can prove it) would help me add my partner as my wife.

I am from TOGO in Africa but I live in Canada as a PR with my child and wife. In Canada, being a Common Law Partner is acceptable by the immigration. I am not really sure for the US that's why I'm asking for some advices.
Thanks

Is common law partner the same as having a lawyer draw up papers stating you have similar rights as a married couple? If so, that is nice, but does not count under the US law. Marriage is the only thing that counts...

Get married a.s.a.p....that is the only thing that counts...otherwise your child can get a Green card but not your girlfriend...what it is called over here.

Is common law partner the same as having a lawyer draw up papers stating you have similar rights as a married couple? If so, that is nice, but does not count under the US law. Marriage is the only thing that counts...

Get married a.s.a.p....that is the only thing that counts...otherwise your child can get a Green card but not your girlfriend...what it is called over here.

He said his child is already a citizen,he shouldnt need a green card.

Thanks y'all.
I am still wondering since my child was born in US, could the fact that my child's birth certificate was signed by me and my wife help me prove that we are a family?
In Canada we are, my family and me, Permanent residents and they accept our family situation as is.

Thanks y'all.
I am still wondering since my child was born in US, could the fact that my child's birth certificate was signed by me and my wife help me prove that we are a family?
In Canada we are, my family and me, Permanent residents and they accept our family situation as is.

That is not enough prove.That you live together does not prove she is your wife;you need to legally tie the knot.During the interview,you will be required to provide an official documentation; a marriage certificate to be precise either from the court or a church and with photos.Get married to her officially before sending back your forms or proceed as single and file for her later which may be 5years later.If she is a canadian citizen or from a country that has a visa waiver to the US entering the US might not be a problem for her.But really you either marry legally now or wait till the nesxt 5years.Dont make the mistake of proceeding to the interview presenting her as your wife because she has a child for you for you may lose this rare opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should produce all the proof that you both have been living together for the last 2 years. So try to submit as much as proof you have so that you won't face any problem.

Hi Warango,

I am in the same situation as you. I am in a common-law relationships with 2 children. Did you get to find out whether there are issues raised at the interview?

Thanks.

We were selected for Dv program. We flew to our interview in Moscow which which was on 10.09.2010. with our small babies. We had all documents they needed, absolutely no missing documents. Me and my wife have MBA in finance.
American consul looked at his computer and congratulated us saying that our visa has been approved. He said to leave our passports and DHL.We flew back home, but after 2 days Russian lady called us and said that our documents will be send to some administrative processing, which can takes 2 months or more.After I asked how about our passports? She replayed- "Oh do we have them?" I said Yes you do. Okay then she said we'll keep them." This is so strange, don't they understand that if we want to travel somewhere else we need our passports? Since then we never heard from them, and have no clue what is going on.Would anyone please suggest us what should we do in this kind of situation?

My DV 2011 Interview Experience

Hi warango.
My case is a bit similar. Hope it can help. Both my wife and myself had applied for the DV2011 lottery. We were common-law in Canada when we applied in 2009. When we applied for the lottery, we included each other as spouse even though we were not legally married as there was no option for common-law in the lottery and we did not think we were single.

A few months back my wife won the lottery. So, while filling up forms we sent to Kentucky (we entered our marriage date as the date on which we had our common-law marriage - i.e November 2008).
Also we got legally married in July 2010. We went to our interview in Montreal in October 2010 and we provided evidence of both the common-law and legal marriage.
Everything was okay except for the fact for a few small things - for e.g. they expected us to provide an address where we would be living in the USA and an address where we would have the PR card mailed out - and asked us to email that info ASAP (I emailed them the info of a friend the very next day - but come on - how do they expect people to have a US address?...if for e.g you know no one there or have never been there - which I am sure is the case for the majority of Diversity Lottery applicants)
Also the second thing is the way he was referring to everything according to US laws...for e.g. saying categorically that the US does not recognize a common-law marriage....I mean come on....given that he works in Canada.....where common-law is legally recognized....and given that he is bound to come across different types of marriages especially when it comes to Diversity lottery applicants (mostly origination from countries with legal systems that are vastly different from those of the USA) - i.e. some countries only have religious weddings, some countries have same sex marriages.....and obviously when these people get married they are not concerned whether the USA recognizes their marriage or not....

He asked the generic questions - i.e line of work, expected moving date, checked documents.......All went smoothly.

Finally the consulate officer said he could not approve the visa right away because he would need to do check the validity of our common-law marriage in Canada in the context of US laws - said that he would forward it to Washington...because he is not sure if (under US laws) my wife would be considered married or single when she entered the lottery.....as at the time she was not legally married.

And that's why he was placing it under administrative processing and gave us the white sheet of paper with 221(g) check off - and with the comment "administrative processing". Also he kept our passports and asked if we had registered for the DHL delivery - to which we replied "yes" and he said that it should take around 2 weeks to get our passports back. But it's been more than a month now and still no sign of the passports or no updates on the usvisa-info.com
Also, the very next day after the interview (although I was not asked to submit any documentation) I both emailed and faxed Montreal info that I found from official US Government websites regarding common-law marriage:
The first website is: Immigrant Visa for a Spouse (IR1 or CR1)

travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html

“What is a "Spouse"?

A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife.

* Merely living together does not qualify a marriage for immigration.
* Common-law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration purposes depending on the laws of the country where the common-law marriage occurs.
* In cases of polygamy, only the first spouse may qualify as a spouse for immigration.
* Same-sex marriages are not recognized by immigration law for the purpose of immigrating to the U.S.”

The second website is: Glossary of Visa Terms
travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/glossary/glossary_1363.html#commonlawmarriage

“Spouse:Legally married husband or wife. A co-habiting partner does not qualify as a spouse for immigration purposes. A common-law husband or wife may or may not qualify as a spouse for immigration purposes, depending on the laws of the country where the relationship occurs.”

So far I have emailed them asking about the status of the case. And I got the short reply below.

"Your case and documents you have sent in are still in review, we will advise you once a decision is made on your file. "

That wait is killing me. Did anyone here go through administrative processing before and knows how long it takes for it to be complete?

So warango,
I think it may actually be a good thing you did not include your partner in your lottery application. I would advise you to get legally married and then send the application forms to Kentucky with your legal date of marriage. That would be simpler. Then at your interview bring all documents you have to show you have been living together for 5 yrs...i.e to show that your marriage is real and not just for immigration. I have read posts on the board of people that have done it successfully....they may interview you separately....to make sure you live together.....and since your relationship is genuine....that should be okay...and this way you will be able to get your visa right away instead of being placed in administrative processing like me...

Hi Aquamarinebeach,

What type of documents did you show to prove that you were in a common-law relationships prior to submitting the entry for DV lottery?

DVWinnerTNVisa - yes I submitted official proof of common-law marriage done in 2008 signed by an authorized commissioner of oaths....also confirmation of permament residence showing common-law status for both me and wife....but in any case....we are legally married now....Officer was never in doubt about our relationship - did not ask for any proof....he could just have approved the visa....just like in case where people apply for single....but then get married later on....and add their spouse...

Hi warango.
My case is a bit similar. Hope it can help. Both my wife and myself had applied for the DV2011 lottery. We were common-law in Canada when we applied in 2009. When we applied for the lottery, we included each other as spouse even though we were not legally married as there was no option for common-law in the lottery and we did not think we were single.

A few months back my wife won the lottery. So, while filling up forms we sent to Kentucky (we entered our marriage date as the date on which we had our common-law marriage - i.e November 2008).
Also we got legally married in July 2010. We went to our interview in Montreal in October 2010 and we provided evidence of both the common-law and legal marriage.
Everything was okay except for the fact for a few small things - for e.g. they expected us to provide an address where we would be living in the USA and an address where we would have the PR card mailed out - and asked us to email that info ASAP (I emailed them the info of a friend the very next day - but come on - how do they expect people to have a US address?...if for e.g you know no one there or have never been there - which I am sure is the case for the majority of Diversity Lottery applicants)
Also the second thing is the way he was referring to everything according to US laws...for e.g. saying categorically that the US does not recognize a common-law marriage....I mean come on....given that he works in Canada.....where common-law is legally recognized....and given that he is bound to come across different types of marriages especially when it comes to Diversity lottery applicants (mostly origination from countries with legal systems that are vastly different from those of the USA) - i.e. some countries only have religious weddings, some countries have same sex marriages.....and obviously when these people get married they are not concerned whether the USA recognizes their marriage or not....

He asked the generic questions - i.e line of work, expected moving date, checked documents.......All went smoothly.

Finally the consulate officer said he could not approve the visa right away because he would need to do check the validity of our common-law marriage in Canada in the context of US laws - said that he would forward it to Washington...because he is not sure if (under US laws) my wife would be considered married or single when she entered the lottery.....as at the time she was not legally married.

And that's why he was placing it under administrative processing and gave us the white sheet of paper with 221(g) check off - and with the comment "administrative processing". Also he kept our passports and asked if we had registered for the DHL delivery - to which we replied "yes" and he said that it should take around 2 weeks to get our passports back. But it's been more than a month now and still no sign of the passports or no updates on the usvisa-info.com
Also, the very next day after the interview (although I was not asked to submit any documentation) I both emailed and faxed Montreal info that I found from official US Government websites regarding common-law marriage:
The first website is: Immigrant Visa for a Spouse (IR1 or CR1)

travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html

“What is a "Spouse"?

A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife.

* Merely living together does not qualify a marriage for immigration.
* Common-law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration purposes depending on the laws of the country where the common-law marriage occurs.
* In cases of polygamy, only the first spouse may qualify as a spouse for immigration.
* Same-sex marriages are not recognized by immigration law for the purpose of immigrating to the U.S.”

The second website is: Glossary of Visa Terms
travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/glossary/glossary_1363.html#commonlawmarriage

“Spouse:Legally married husband or wife. A co-habiting partner does not qualify as a spouse for immigration purposes. A common-law husband or wife may or may not qualify as a spouse for immigration purposes, depending on the laws of the country where the relationship occurs.”

So far I have emailed them asking about the status of the case. And I got the short reply below.

"Your case and documents you have sent in are still in review, we will advise you once a decision is made on your file. "

That wait is killing me. Did anyone here go through administrative processing before and knows how long it takes for it to be complete?

So warango,
I think it may actually be a good thing you did not include your partner in your lottery application. I would advise you to get legally married and then send the application forms to Kentucky with your legal date of marriage. That would be simpler. Then at your interview bring all documents you have to show you have been living together for 5 yrs...i.e to show that your marriage is real and not just for immigration. I have read posts on the board of people that have done it successfully....they may interview you separately....to make sure you live together.....and since your relationship is genuine....that should be okay...and this way you will be able to get your visa right away instead of being placed in administrative processing like me...
Thank you for sharing your experience.

hello to all esp all the guys, hope every one is well and kicking..
please I have some nagging questions I need answers to;
1. the first one is about the police report, how much am I going to pay and how long will it take? what are the processes Im supposed to go through?
2. about the visa fees, what is the exact cost now, since I read on the net that there's going to be an upward adjustment.
3. on the Affidavit of Support, I am getting problems cos the sponsor is saying that he has been providing them for some years now and may not be able to provide mine. In this case, is it still compulsory to get it?
thanks in advance

There is no such thing as a common law partner in the US. You need to get married asap, and then provide enough proof to the embassy that you relationship is genuine and not simply for the purpose of obtaining a green card.
If you are not actually married, I think you run a huge risk of having your visa denied and wasting a lot of money on visa fees.

Hi Jules,

Have you heard of anyone who has been successful in getting the visa when they got married during the DV Process?

Maybe I am bias, but what is the whole thing with common law partner? You are either married or not. Why would the USCIS accept common law partnership? They are strict about it, because the law is the law and there is no grey in between , there is only black and white. I also think it is a big mistake for some people who file the E DV application as married when they are only in a common law partnership, then you are screwed.