• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

Hi all. I have a couple of questions for you that a colleague was querying today. I would particularly like to hear from ONLY those that has a criminal CONVICTION in any state of Australia for anything at all that HAS been issued with a GC after winning the DV. Could you talk us through what was asked and said during the "interview" please. Also, Can anyone confirm that a VICTORIA Police certificate MUST be a fingerprint one and not the standard Consent to Check and Release form.

Thanks all. We look forward to your input.

I am hopeful too labora2.

Hi Beech, this week I am hopeful that we will at least hear about our interview date (via e mail, phone) even if we may not get the actual 2nd NL. Our 2nd NLs will be in our hands in the coming 1-2 weeks with God's wish.

Forumites, please help me with this question,
I want to know if i can use P.O. Box ???? in mailling address of dv application because here in Africa some places are not really defined by house and street numbers ?

You definitely need the police certificate to be a police check and fingerprint, the one that costs $132. I called up Victoria Police when I was booking in for the appointment.. they asked what is it for?

US Visa?.. has to be finger prints as well. There's your answer

Hi all. I have a couple of questions for you that a colleague was querying today. I would particularly like to hear from ONLY those that has a criminal CONVICTION in any state of Australia for anything at all that HAS been issued with a GC after winning the DV. Could you talk us through what was asked and said during the "interview" please. Also, Can anyone confirm that a VICTORIA Police certificate MUST be a fingerprint one and not the standard Consent to Check and Release form.

Thanks all. We look forward to your input.

Can anyone confirm that a VICTORIA Police certificate MUST be a fingerprint one and not the standard Consent to Check and Release form.
I can confirm that for you. It can be issued by state police or the AFP, but it has to be a fingerprint one... 100% sure about that.

I just checked the latest Visa Bulletin and I am current in December. It's going on 4 weeks since I had my fingerprints taken for the Police Certificate (I live in Queensland). The State Department says at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_4881.html?cid=3504 that QLD police will notify you within 3 weeks that they have sent your file to the Consulate, since I haven't received any notification I tried calling the police today and their IVR system said it was actually a 6 week processing time (which still gives me plenty of time so I'm not worried...yet). But I'm curious, for anyone else living in QLD, how long was it before you got a letter from the police saying they had processed your criminal history check and sent it to the consulate?

But I'm curious, for anyone else living in QLD, how long was it before you got a letter from the police saying they had processed your criminal history check and sent it to the consulate?
Coen, my PC was sent to me (not to the consulate). I applied at the QLD police in the Valley & received it in the mail about 10 days later.

Coen, my PC was sent to me (not to the consulate). I applied at the QLD police in the Valley & received it in the mail about 10 days later.

Well that seems contrary to what information is given out by the state department. Did you fill out the part of the form where you put down the address of the third party (us embassy) you want the report sent to?

I might have to give the police a call tomorrow and see what's going on.

Well that seems contrary to what information is given out by the state department. Did you fill out the part of the form where you put down the address of the third party (us embassy) you want the report sent to?
I found the info on the State Dept's website very confusing so I emailed the consulate (after all, they were the ones who had to process my application) to clarify what they required. They told me in no uncertain terms that they accept State Police and AFP certificates, and that it has to be a fingerprint one.

I did not fill out that part of the applicaton form as I wanted it to be sent to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coen,

I, like Superkruz had my PC mailed back to me. I actually had mine done and sent to me in August of this year. I went to my local police station, was fingerprinted - I paid the money then sent it off and received the national police certificate about 10 days later. I will take it with me to the interview.

I might have to give the police a call tomorrow and see what's going on.

Hey Superkruz,

Yes, I emailed Sydney at the end of last month and this is what they said:
All DV interviews are scheduled by Kentucky Consular Centre (KCC) for Tuesday mornings only. Until we receive your file from KCC, we are unable to advise of when your visa interview will be.

So, If I haven't heard anything by the 15th - I'll email them again.

I had my medical today, nothing too scary apart from the doctor wanting to get a look at my balls. :/ MMR & DTP boosters were the only jabs in the arm I needed. Should have the report back in the mail within a week, he said it would be valid for 12 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my medical today, nothing too scary apart from the doctor wanting to get a look at my balls. :/ MMR & DTP boosters were the only jabs in the arm I needed. Should have the report back in the mail within a week, he said it would be valid for 12 months.

Good to here that your medical went well Coen!

I assume you are asking whether living in US is better than living in Australia.
Mate, that question is impossible to answer. USA is huge.... it depends where you live. Ditto for australia.
Everyone has different circumstances and preferences so what is good for me might be horrible for you.
Whether you choose US or Australia, you have to be fluent in English though.

Does live in USA better than live in Australia?????????

That question is subjective so the answer really depends on the person. Going by statistics alone though, Australia has a stronger economy, lower unemployment, a higher ranking on the human development index, lower levels of poverty, longer life expectancy which are all indicators that give credit to the argument that Australia is the better place to live. I know for me personally though, despite the USA (on paper at least) being a worse place to live, I can't wait to live there. A little of that feeling might be explained by the "grass is always greener on the other side" effect but there are other things that statistics don't track, for example, I'm planning to move to a town with little or no Australian ex-pat community and not a great deal of cultural diversity, where I was there last time everyone was excited to hear my story and where I had come from, you know the silly questions like have you held a koala? seen a kangaroo? or live near the Oprah House? For me at least it was a nice feeling being something different/special by just being myself, others might not have liked it though. Wherever you choose to live, you just need to think of all the pros and cons before you move. It helped me to speak with some American ex-pats living in Australia as to what to expect before I decided to continue processing my DV application.