• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

Hi Guys,

For those of you that have already activated - did the process take long? I have a 3hr gap in which I need to activate and switch terminals in LA for an SF-flight, so just wanted to make sure I had enough time.

Fly out Saturday morning, very excited!

You'll have to be careful, the activation from what i recall wasn't that long; but what you have to think about is how many people are in front of you in the line. If it is a busy period you could be waiting a while, and that could cause problems.

Don't want to sound negative, but it could be worthwhile considering if their are any other options available.

ajk

Hi Ack,

I have been thru LA alot and made domestic connections. 3 hours should be enough. We went thru on E3 visas and it usually took a while to check us all out at the counter ( family of four). We used to give ourselves 4 hours and it was way too long. Biggest tip if you have kids? or baby? is: Americans are really good with families and the officers will usually send you down to the USA citizen gates to get you thru faster. Smile nicely and move quick to get into a shorter line. We used to get our kids to act tired! Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
But if it is just you, 3 hours should still be enough - if your plane isn't late.

Sorry, I'm new, just thought i'd post my experience!

Abbie thanks for sharing that - we'll be heading there in 3 weeks with 2 children :) Have been there a bit as a couple but never with our kids!

Hi everyone

Just have a quick question and I am sorry if this has been posted somewhere else. But I was wondering does it matter where you go and apply for the SSN. We are going to live in Texas and POE will be LA. If we go to the Social Security office in Houston, can we apply for the SSN there or do we need to do it in the place where we entered the US.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback everyone - it's just me that needs to be processed, but I am slightly concerned about the 3 hr gap, particularly since I'll need to go pick up luggage as well. I'm going to look into what my options are, but also had another question - which queue do we line up in? Is the only distinction between Citizens/Other - so we're therefore "Other"?

Aussiedudette - I'm pretty sure that you need to provide an address in the same state in which you apply for the SSN - so if you have an address in Houston, then you can apply in Houston, if you have an address in LA, you can apply in LA.

Hi everyone

Just have a quick question and I am sorry if this has been posted somewhere else. But I was wondering does it matter where you go and apply for the SSN. We are going to live in Texas and POE will be LA. If we go to the Social Security office in Houston, can we apply for the SSN there or do we need to do it in the place where we entered the US.

Thanks

Hi,
It's better u apply for ur SSN in Houston,since dats where u will be living. You just need to give the Immigration Officer ur new address at ur POE in LA.
A similar thing applied to me.
Cheers!

Just thinking about my earlier post - If I remember correctly the counter may be "Citizens and Permanent Residents"??. So you guys might be able to head straight over to those?

Hi Guys,

For those of you that have already activated - did the process take long? I have a 3hr gap in which I need to activate and switch terminals in LA for an SF-flight, so just wanted to make sure I had enough time.

Fly out Saturday morning, very excited!

hi! Ack
Wishing you good luck in usa.
I need some infor. i guess you are going to san francisco. If you could let me know about san francisco job situation. I am an hotelier, looking for a hotel job.just want to know about the city as well.
if you write on this forum

Sitting here at LAX waiting for my (delayed) connecting flight to SF, so I thought I'd give an update in terms of what to expect when you first land.

It was a full flight from Sydney->LA, but the 13 hours were manageable as I slept through most of it. Upon landing, the Visitor queues to clear customs were pretty shocking. There are 2 queues - 1 for "US Citizens and PR's", the other for "Visitors". Fortunately the Citizen/PR queue was a lot shorter than the Visitor queue and this was the queue I joined.

Plane landed at about 6.45am, I didn't "complete" the activation process until about 8am.

In terms of what to expect:
* Normal customs questions, biometrics and photo
* You then take your yellow envelope down to the "New Immigrant" queue for processing
* More fingerprinting (just your index finger)
* Letter telling you your green card will be with you in 3-6 months

if you're transitting through LA, I'd definitely try and allow more time just in case!

dv-2011 winners from Srilanka

Dear. I need best suggestion. please help me...

My father has a dv -winner according to he got the 2nd letter. july 7th intyerview..

However My name is not included that 2nd letter. Because my age is reached 21 years. Now my age is 21 years 6 months. At the time of application. I mean (OCTOBER 2009 ) my age is 19 .so . Can i migrate with my father to US?

Please need ...

Case No : 2011AS00033XXX
Enter the lottery : 2009 Oct
1st NL Received : 30/05/2010
2nd NL Received : 10/06/2011
Police clearance : done . (13/06/2011)
Medical : waiting
Interview Date : 7th July 2011
Interview successful: waiting
Visa pickup : waiting
POE : Newark,NJ
GC Received : waiting
SSN Received : waiting

Health Insurance

Hi,
Just sorting some papers and came across some medical insurance stuff that may be of help to those of you moving over soon.

When you get Insurance in the states it will be helpful - possibly reduce your premium and waiting times - if you can show that you had health insurance in Australia. We are with Medibank Private and got from them a "Transfer Certificate" and I also have a "Statement of Cover". We had to organise it from the USA. It may be easier for you to get it now before you go.

Be warned - be VERY warned - the whole American Health Industry & Insurance is shameful. Every time I had to deal with it, it was enough to get me on a plane back home! Your employer's cover won't kick in until you have been there 3 months. We had travel Insurance cover for that period - but some travel insurancers will not cover you unless you have a return ticket. The employer usually only covers the employees premium, and you pay the balance for the family out of your pay. Our cost per month, (less my husbands share!) was over $800. That was including dental and optical. You can, and I did, find that you can get cheaper cover (higher excess etc, without having an employer, although we never had to take it up as circumstances changed - we came home!).

Good Luck.

I'm really not sure about this, I think you may need to consult an immigration lawyer about your case scenario. Minors reaching legal age is one of the biggest problems faced in the US and nothing much has been changed about it over the years. If this does not work for you and you can't go with your dad there is another way however where your father can still sponsor you for a green card when he gets his. This route however can up to 6 years for the case to be processed. Who knows though, I think it might be OK in your case but I would suggest contacting an immigration lawyer for case scenarios such as this. I don't think you will get an accurate enough answer on here for questions such as this, Good luck!

To! All Friends.

*************HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY*********************

My case number is 2011AS00019XXX(Sri Lanka)
1NL received in july 2010(Through Email)
Forms sent to kcc by dhl on 16th of august-2010
DHL confirmed delivery on 18th august-2010
KCC confirmed receipht of forms by 25th of august 2010 through email message.
Police Clearance - Received on 31st October 2010 from us embassy of sri lanka.
I was told by KCC on 17th November 2010 that, my aplication is completed pocessing and waiting for the allocation of visa interview.
Interview date- 10th May 2011 at Colombo(SL) American Embassy.(10/03/2011 received an email from KCC)
2NL - Received on 31/03/2011.
Medical - Completed on 06/05/2011
Visa Interview - Successful(10/05/2011)
Visa pick-up - Collected on 12/05/2011
POE - NEW YORK- New York City.

I'm really not sure about this, I think you may need to consult an immigration lawyer about your case scenario. Minors reaching legal age is one of the biggest problems faced in the US and nothing much has been changed about it over the years. If this does not work for you and you can't go with your dad there is another way however where your father can still sponsor you for a green card when he gets his. This route however can up to 6 years for the case to be processed. Who knows though, I think it might be OK in your case but I would suggest contacting an immigration lawyer for case scenarios such as this. I don't think you will get an accurate enough answer on here for questions such as this, Good luck!

DV-2011 winners from Srilanka

Hello dear friends .. Thanks alot for blessing me

But i have 50 % /5-% good/sad news

My father also dv winner. so he got interview succesful with my family included my mother, Brother and sister However my visa was rejected

Because they said. My age is reached 21 now/ Therefore my age is now 21 years 8 months but my father applied for the dv when my age was 20 years 16 days

As US law ... I was eligible for apply to DV with my father. So Why did tehy reject my visa?

As US law DV-2011 instructions Q14 says ...
14. NUMBER OF CHILDREN – Entries MUST include the name, date, and place of birth of your spouse and all natural children, as well as all legally adopted children and stepchildren who are unmarried and under the age of 21 on the date of your electronic entry (do not include children who are already U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents), even if you are no longer legally married to the child’s parent, and even if the spouse or child does not currently reside with you and/or will not immigrate with you. Note that married children and children 21 years or older are not eligible for the DV; however, U.S. law protects children from ―aging out in certain circumstances. If your electronic DV entry is made before your unmarried child turns 21, and the child turns 21 before visa issuance, he/she may be protected from aging out by the Child Status Protection Act and be treated as though he/she were under 21 for visa-processing purposes

Please read underlined part...

Can my father appeal against the KCC or US embassy of Srilanka with DV case ?

KCC did not inform about the problem until They sent the 2nd NL. So I don't know about that. This is KCC's fault Am i correct?

Case No : 2011AS00033XXX (CITIZEN OF SRILANKA)
Enter the lottery : 2009 Oct
1st NL Received : 30/05/2010
Forms back to KCC : 04/07/2010
KCC received : 28/07/2010
2nd NL Received : 10/06/2011
Police clearance : done . (13/06/2011)
Medical : done (06/07/2011)
Interview Date : 7th July 2011 at US embassy,colombo
Interview successful: successful (My family get approval for the visa but embassy has rejected my visa)
Visa pickup : 12/07/2011
POE : Newark,NJ on next month
GC Received : waiting
SSN Received : waiting

hi Aussies new here with q's about DS 230 - dv 2012 winner!!! please help!

A couple of questions -
I've got through next round of DV lottery and I am confused about a few questions -
Question 10 and 11 ask about an Address in the states either staying or to send the card to - I am yet to move there, so don't have an address as yet, so can I just put N/A and hopefully have it sent to my present address - will this affect my application?
And as in Q41 - I had an accident that was an accident but got charged with neg driving so I will make sure I disclose this information, but I am unsure whether to list parking fines - are they counted as an offence?
And when doing the police check, do you need a federal one with fingerprints or is a state one ok?
thank you!

zootfish or superkruz - could you please tell me a little more about the Affidavit of Support from an eligible person from the USA?
...my last question I asked to the Australian Consulate and they said it was not recordable.
thanks

I didn't have one. Wasn't asked for it either. In fact, I wasn't asked any financial questions or to show any supporting documentation about our financial situation.

A couple of questions -
I've got through next round of DV lottery and I am confused about a few questions -
Question 10 and 11 ask about an Address in the states either staying or to send the card to - I am yet to move there, so don't have an address as yet, so can I just put N/A and hopefully have it sent to my present address - will this affect my application?
And as in Q41 - I had an accident that was an accident but got charged with neg driving so I will make sure I disclose this information, but I am unsure whether to list parking fines - are they counted as an offence?
And when doing the police check, do you need a federal one with fingerprints or is a state one ok?
thank you!

You'll need to have an address in the USA at the time of your interview. We were able to use distant relatives of my wife, other people I believe use something like USA Box. Either way you are required to provide an address at your interview.

With regards to the police check: The full check including fingerprints is the one that you need.

Ok, so I just had a successful interview today at the Bangkok embassy but need to bring in an affadavit of support document in the coming week to have the visas granted. In the meantime I'd like to ask is it possible to travel to the US on visa waiver before activating the immigrant visa?
The reason I ask this is that my daughter has already begun the school year which goes until May of 2012 - so my family would like to enter around Jan/Feb2012 before returning to complete the school year here. However, I need to attend my friends wedding in USA on October 1, and don't plan to immigrate so early so would prefer just to travel on visa waiver. Is this possible?