• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

An update on the time it takes to get a Social Security Card - I applied (in person) at a Social Security office in LA on 23 Feb and received the card in the mail on 7 March - 13 days from start to finish.

Superkruz : You mentioned here that you got the card after 13 days, but do they give you the number on the spot? Or do you have to wait for the card to know your number?

Can any Australian DV winners tell me what the Aussie Police Check certificate should look like. I applied for one last year to the AFP from outside of Australia, then after 10 weeks I still hadn’t received it, so I called them and they resent a new one since the first had obviously been lost in the mail. However, upon reading through the document they sent, there is mention of security details for people to confirm that it’s the real certificate. But the document just looks like piece of paper. There is no mention that it is a copy of the real certificate, but I’d like to confirm that this document that was sent by the AFP is ok for the interview, since I don’t want to have to wait another 2 months for a replacement copy at this last in the process.

Here is a link to the webpage where the police certificate requirements are explained. Note that the certificate must be based on a name check and fingerprint check.

I confirmed with the Consulate that they would accept either an AFP or State Police certificate.
You mentioned that you applied for a PCC last year - I suggest you check with the consulate whether one as old as yours would be acceptable. I suspect that it has to be less than 6 months old by the time you attend the interview - keep this in mind.
I applied for one with QLD Police and it took only 10 days. Maybe the states are quicker than the AFP.

Hi All,

I'm heading over next week for a bit of an LSD, even though I've mostly decided to head to SF initially. I'll be doing the coastal drive from SF down to LA.

Things I have on my to-do list whilst over there:
* Apply for an SSN
* Apply for a bank account

I feel like there should be more than this! Is there anything else that jumps out?

I'll also be meeting with a prospective employer, and looking to touch base with recruiters to see what the job market for my industry is like. If there are any decent recruiters you guys have dealt with and would like to share, it would be much appreciated :)

tamaram - has your interview happened? if so, i hope it went well!

...one last question - for those of you with (or applying for) Amex cards, are all Amex cards transferable? I'm looking on the Amex site and there's the 'Qantas American Express Discovery Card' and the 'Gold Ascent Credit Card'. Both are $0 annual fee, but I'm wondering if the credit history transfer applies equally to both (the Qantas one also gives frequent flyer points).

Good luck with your trip next week Ack. We fly out Monday permanently so we're getting very excited.

...one last question - for those of you with (or applying for) Amex cards, are all Amex cards transferable? I'm looking on the Amex site and there's the 'Qantas American Express Discovery Card' and the 'Gold Ascent Credit Card'. Both are $0 annual fee, but I'm wondering if the credit history transfer applies equally to both (the Qantas one also gives frequent flyer points).

I can't speak for either of these card but here's a link that might help: American Express - Moving Abroad - Global Card Transfer - United States

Superkruz : You mentioned here that you got the card after 13 days, but do they give you the number on the spot? Or do you have to wait for the card to know your number?

In my case, i was able to get the number after a few days, before i actually received the card. You'll have to go back into social security to get it, along with all the identification you had when first applying; ie: passport etc.

ajk

In my case, i was able to get the number after a few days, before i actually received the card. You'll have to go back into social security to get it, along with all the identification you had when first applying; ie: passport etc.

ajk

Thanks ajk. I'll keep this in mind if we need our number in a hurry after we arrive.

Hi Ack! - yes, finally, we had our interview and have received our visas - last cab off the rank for this thread?? I think we might have been :) Not without it's drama though unfortunately - they had actually 'misplaced' our NZ police checks that had been sent there directly. The Consulate had even emailed us confirmation in March that they had indeed arrived and would be there waiting for our interview...well...somehow I was not surprised when they told us no, they were not there, and they were really rather doubtful they'd received them in the first place which kinda pissed me off truth be told...anyway, we filled out new police check request forms on the spot and whilst they kept our passports, they couldn't tell us 100% that we had been approved so that was a bit of an anti-climax!!! Later when we had access to our email we sent them a copy of the email between us regarding the police check etc and less than a week later we received our p/p's back all good to go. I'm thinking that that was mighty fast for the police clearances to be returned - either that, or they actually found them after all....no apologies for the mix-up of course ;-)
Boy am I glad it's over though, as I'm sure you can all relate...we had built it up so much that it really wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought, and even though we had to take two rather bored/fidgety children with us, I probably would have actually enjoyed the whole thing if not for the ruddy hold up, lol!
I was chuckling to myself as we (as well-advised) managed to enter the lifts last and take the first interview number ;-) May have even mentally given myself a high-five...

So, the tickets are booked and we fly out for NYC four weeks after you, Zootfish on the 4th of July :):):)

That's handy to know about the SSN thanks AJK - we'll need to get our hands on it as soon as we possibly can to try and get a lease signed in a decent school zone in time for the start of their school year, early September. I'm not sure how realistic that's going to be, but we're gonna give it our best shot! In the meantime we've leased an apartment for a month to stay in when we get there...am starting to get more than a bit excited, finally, after so long in limbo....

Thanks for the link Zootfish, much appreciated. And how exciting to be flying out permanently on Monday! I hope it all goes well and keep us posted :)

TamaraM - congratulations! And well done on managing to usher the kids into the lift last. Best of luck in your move over the next month - i like your date of choice too!

Hi Ack! - yes, finally, we had our interview and have received our visas - last cab off the rank for this thread?? I think we might have been :) Not without it's drama though unfortunately - they had actually 'misplaced' our NZ police checks that had been sent there directly. The Consulate had even emailed us confirmation in March that they had indeed arrived and would be there waiting for our interview...well...somehow I was not surprised when they told us no, they were not there, and they were really rather doubtful they'd received them in the first place which kinda pissed me off truth be told...anyway, we filled out new police check request forms on the spot and whilst they kept our passports, they couldn't tell us 100% that we had been approved so that was a bit of an anti-climax!!! Later when we had access to our email we sent them a copy of the email between us regarding the police check etc and less than a week later we received our p/p's back all good to go. I'm thinking that that was mighty fast for the police clearances to be returned - either that, or they actually found them after all....no apologies for the mix-up of course ;-)
Boy am I glad it's over though, as I'm sure you can all relate...we had built it up so much that it really wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought, and even though we had to take two rather bored/fidgety children with us, I probably would have actually enjoyed the whole thing if not for the ruddy hold up, lol!
I was chuckling to myself as we (as well-advised) managed to enter the lifts last and take the first interview number ;-) May have even mentally given myself a high-five...

So, the tickets are booked and we fly out for NYC four weeks after you, Zootfish on the 4th of July :):):)

That's handy to know about the SSN thanks AJK - we'll need to get our hands on it as soon as we possibly can to try and get a lease signed in a decent school zone in time for the start of their school year, early September. I'm not sure how realistic that's going to be, but we're gonna give it our best shot! In the meantime we've leased an apartment for a month to stay in when we get there...am starting to get more than a bit excited, finally, after so long in limbo....

Hi Tamara,

Can i ask where abouts in NYC are you looking at living? My wife, myself and our son arrive next month in NYC to start our new life!

ajk

Hi ajk

Congratulations on your 'New family member' :)

We are looking at the neighbourhoods down the East Side of Manhattan - Gramercy/Murray Hill/Midtown East and a bit of the Upper East - all chosen really for their public school zones. I would have preferred even further down in the East Village but the schools there are a bit of a sorry sounding lot :( We had also considered West/Greenwich Village and the Upper West. I'm guessing the school hunt is a little way off for you yet?? ;-) (Although I guess if you were thinking private and long term then perhaps not!).
Where abouts are you and your wife looking at?? Do I recall you also checked out Brooklyn??

Hi Guys,

For those of you that have already activated - did the process take long? I have a 3hr gap in which I need to activate and switch terminals in LA for an SF-flight, so just wanted to make sure I had enough time.

Fly out Saturday morning, very excited!

Hi ajk

Congratulations on your 'New family member' :)

We are looking at the neighbourhoods down the East Side of Manhattan - Gramercy/Murray Hill/Midtown East and a bit of the Upper East - all chosen really for their public school zones. I would have preferred even further down in the East Village but the schools there are a bit of a sorry sounding lot :( We had also considered West/Greenwich Village and the Upper West. I'm guessing the school hunt is a little way off for you yet?? ;-) (Although I guess if you were thinking private and long term then perhaps not!).
Where abouts are you and your wife looking at?? Do I recall you also checked out Brooklyn??

Hi Tamara,

Overall, our prime destination is the Upper West Side; this is where we would really like to live as it just seems leafier and more family friendly.
I saw some places in Chelsea i liked, so that could warrant further investigation if the UWS doesn't work out. Brooklyn is really now a fall back position if we simply can't make it work in Manhattan.

Would love to hear how you get on, or of any tips you pick up during your search!

ajk