2010 October N-400 tracker

I've been reading this forums a lot to get a sense of the timeline and it looks like when you are sending your application to TX, traditionally it takes about 30-40 days from your assigned fingerprinting date (not the date you actually did your fingerprinting) to receive your IL. Of course there are some exceptions, but this was my general observations. From what I understand, the IL task is a local office task, so this may also depend on the backlog there.

Have patience my friend, our day will come. I am as anxious as you, so lets all (digitally) join hands and pray :).

Received yellow letter today :) indicating to bring DL or State Issued ID.

TX Service Center

Oct 06 ND
Oct 18 FP Sched
Nov 02 FP Done
Dec 10 YL Received (Dated Dec 03)

Thanks,
KovaiGC

Is YL the same as IL? I haven't got any letter yet from USCIS after FP on Nov 15, 10. My local office should be San Antonio, TX.
Received yellow letter today :) indicating to bring DL or State Issued ID.

TX Service Center

Oct 06 ND
Oct 18 FP Sched
Nov 02 FP Done
Dec 10 YL Received (Dated Dec 03)

Thanks,
KovaiGC

No, YL and IL are two separate doc. From what I understand, YL is something you get to inform you what you need to bring with you to the interview (although it isn't indicative of what they may ask during the interview). The IL will have the date and time that you need to show up at the local office for the interview. YL seems to be sent from TX (or wherever your service center is). IL is usually sent from you local office depending on the time slot available.

Thank you. So IL is much important than YL? since everybody will get similar YL.
I remember now I get a kind of yellow page before FP, saying bring DL etc. But I throw it away.
[QUlOTE=complexity;2252360]No, YL and IL are two separate doc. From what I understand, YL is something you get to inform you what you need to bring with you to the interview (although it isn't indicative of what they may ask during the interview). The IL will have the date and time that you need to show up at the local office for the interview. YL seems to be sent from TX (or wherever your service center is). IL is usually sent from you local office depending on the time slot available.[/QUOTE]

Oct 18th - N-400 Sent
Oct 19th - N-400 Received
Oct 25th - Check cashed
Oct 25th - NOA Received
Oct 27th - Request for Evidence
Oct 30th - Rec FP Letter
Nov 16th - FP Scheduled
Nov 4th - FP Done
Dec 6th - Status change email received. Sent to local office. Online status "Interview and Testing"
Dec 11th - IL received.
Jan 12th 2011 - Interviewed scheduled

? From my understanding YL comes after the FP but before the IL. It says you need to bring DL or State Issued ID for the interview along with this letter.

Thanks,
KovaiGC

Thank you. So IL is much important than YL? since everybody will get similar YL.
I remember now I get a kind of yellow page before FP, saying bring DL etc. But I throw it away.
[QUlOTE=complexity;2252360]No, YL and IL are two separate doc. From what I understand, YL is something you get to inform you what you need to bring with you to the interview (although it isn't indicative of what they may ask during the interview). The IL will have the date and time that you need to show up at the local office for the interview. YL seems to be sent from TX (or wherever your service center is). IL is usually sent from you local office depending on the time slot available.
[/QUOTE]

You are right. Actually my YL came after the FP notification date, but before the actual FP scheduled date.

? From my understanding YL comes after the FP but before the IL. It says you need to bring DL or State Issued ID for the interview along with this letter.

Thanks,
KovaiGC
[/QUOTE]

Received YL for self. No YL for spouse. My YL asks me to bring Drivers License and court dispositions of arrest/citation records (speeding ticket).

BTW - YL had the following in big bold letters on the top - "THIS IS NOT AN INTERVIEW NOTICE". I guess that should clear up questions from above, yes? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got LUD saying
Your Case Status: Testing and Interview

Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. You will be sent a notice advising you of the date and time of your interview. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

I believe it meant I will get IL in several days.

Oct 22, 10 Sent N400 application to Dallas PO box by USPS
Nov 01, 10 Receive FP
Nov 15, 10 Took FP in Austin ASC
Dec 15, 10 LUD for case transfer to local office
---------- IL
---------- Interview and Testing Date
---------- Oath Date

I just received a Fingerprints re-taken letter today. I guess my N-400 will be delayed because the FBI was unable to process my fingerprint card.

10/18/2010: N-400 Sent (Fairfax, VA)
10/20/2010: N-400 Received by USCIS
10/26/2010: Check Cashed
10/29/2010: NOA Received
11/03/2010: Rec. FP letter;
11/18/2010: FP Scheduled
11/18/2010: FP done
12/13/2010: YL Received
12/15/2010: FP Re-taken letter Received
01/07/2011: FP Re-taken Scheduled
xx/xx/2010: Case sent to local off.
xx/xx/2010: Interview Letter
xx/xx/2010 : Interview Date
xx/xx/2010: Passport Application
xx/xx/2010 : Passport Received

Receive Yellow Letter today nice...
things are flowing

Oct 12th Day 0 Date Mailed
Oct 17th Day 5 Date Rev
Oct 22 Day 10 Check Cashed
Oct 28 Day 16 FP Notice
Nov 15 Day 34 FP Done
Dec 16 Day 65 Yellow Letter

The YELLOW LETTER istelling me what to bring some specific information ready.
( i had gotten a ticket in college, stupid campus police gave me a ticket in a summer school session cause i was in the wrong dorm, just plead guilty and paid the fine. ) He gave me a ticket for trans-passing. LOL So i mentioned that on my application and they said to bring a copy that i paid that and also a State ID. I have all original copy and also i did send them in a Copy with my application, hope they don't give me hell for that. that was about 6 years ago when i was in college.

Anyhow I'm happy things are flowing

As someone mentioned in a thread..that sometimes i just have to be happy that your file is being looked at lol

Aslo. Yellow letter seems to go to people who have some sought of issue to be sought out..
BIG OR Small...just something that needs extra papers?...what you guys thing

USER heavymen, did you get any Yellow Paper???

Aslo. Yellow letter seems to go to people who have some sought of issue to be sought out..
BIG OR Small...just something that needs extra papers?...what you guys thing

USER heavymen, did you get any Yellow Paper???

I was wondering about that too. I never received a yellow letter, just the regular letter telling me to come for the interview. I should say though that i mentioned 2 tickets in my application. One was a speeding ticket and the other an illegal lane change from 2008 and 2009 respectively. For outcome or disposition, I stated $80 and $70 paid. The interview letter didn't mention anything about bring proof of payment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing - mentioned the 3 tickets I received and the $ amount paid for each. Received yellow letter for me asking me to bring disposition of case. Spouse has no tickets / citations etc. No YL in that case.

I am new to this forum. What is YL Received?

Yellow Letter I believe is the Pre Interview Review sent by the office you sent your application to. It typically comes after your Finger Printing is done and tells what documents you should bring for the interview.

You can browse the forum to find the timelines between Finger Printing and Receipt of Yellow letter.