2010 March N-400 Tracker

Interview and Oath completed for both me and my wife. US Citizens now. Questions below (me and my wife's):
1. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
2. What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?
3. We elect a President for how many years?
4. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
5. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?
6. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
7. What is one reason colonists came to America?
8. Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?
9. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?
10. During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?
11. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States.
12. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?

Good luck to you all who are awaiting the interview.

Congrats....

In general, how was your interview?
Was the IO very strict? Did IO ask for those documents or did you volunteer?

Guys,

Whoever has done with their interview and oath, Can you please share your next steps?
Like applying for passport, changing status in SSA / DL etc..

It will help everyone to get prepared.

Thanks in advance.

I am planning to fill on-line, print out and then bring over passport applications to submit just after Oath. Somebody was telling in this forum that in general there are people from state department to accept these applications. Also, once you get US passport and if you are from India you need to get a cancellation certificate for Indian passport before you apply for PIO, OCI cards or Indian Visa. However, I was reading in Chicago consulate website that cancellation and OCI/PIO applications can be submitted together and process could be lot faster if you submit everything in one bunch and submit proper processing fee for all forms. I plan to take this route as I need to visit India in November, I want my papers ready at least 15 days before I leave for India.

IPL_fan thanks for Congrats you will be done soon.

MN_DO

Thanks IPL-fan.

Its been a long journey from H1 -> GC (Subst Labor) -> 140 got approved in 3 weeks in 01/2002 -> 485 was struck for 2 and 1/2 yrs -> 09/2004 -> 2010 Citizenship. I have been using this forum for last 8 years on and off.

I appreciate all fellow members and forum admins who have spent their valuable time to ease my tensions with answers right back. I hope everyone of you completes your citizenship smoothly
Now I will be watching Life after Citizenship forum and applying for OCI etc. and then probably back to GC process for relatives :).

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

We went to the Carl J Stokes courthouse (the new building near tower city) at 7:30 AM
Our ceremony was at 8:00 AM
(BTW, we parked at the tower city lot - entrance near amphitheater due to construction)
The lady there gave a summary of what was going to happen and what to do etc...
Nothing happens till the USCIS officer shows up anyways.

Then you show your completed oath letter, and receive a packet with info abt post citizenship from the assistant team. Make sure you date it for the day of your oath - even if you fill it in earlier.
You then go upto the uscis officer who verbally confirms that all the answers are no in your oathletter and collects your green card.
Make sure you are LOUD! a couple of us were called again - because he had a doubt!

Then we wait for the judge who administers the oath. She came in with her own crew....
this was at 9 AM. We pledged allegiance to the flag and we all sat down.
Family and children all are allowed, my family was getting antsy by then, and I had a business mtg to go t at 11.
So.. when the judge started a speech on citizenship and asked people to raise their hands 'by continent'.. etc.. I started worrying!
Thankfully, she was short. Then she asked the applicants alone to rise (family seated) and administered the oath of citizenship. Then again her clerk took out a 'bullhorn' type thing and wanted to go around and ask people to talk about their journey... apparently she loves playing Oprah!
I started worrying again... Thankfully, only one person really wanted to speak, others pretty much ignored that. So, we moved to the parade/graduation thing...

This is when your name is called and you go up to collect your nat cert from the judge.
Of course, we all took family pictures with her.. ie each person, and all the permutations with the rest of your family. Natural(ization)ly it takes some time.
Nevertheless, we were done by 9:30AM! My estimate is there were about 60-75 persons in our session - so that was pretty fast... (Thanks to reticent citizens!)
As you walk off, we were greeted by a rep from Sherrod Brown's office (hint hint) and also details for voter registration were provided.
There was a reception, immediately following the ceremony in the adjacent room, with coffee (Thank God), cookies and juice! A rep from the board of elections collected/helped fill forms.
We took a few pictures - and then left at around 9:45 AM.

Whew!... it's over!

hi abn400, how was your oath ceremony?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats....

In general, how was your interview?
Was the IO very strict? Did IO ask for those documents or did you volunteer?

Since you will be headed to Fairfax yourself, here are some tips that may be of help:
1. The officers (for both my wife and me) were extremely friendly.
2. We were called in about 45 min into our appointment time.
3. There are 2 Oath Ceremony times - 2pm and 4pm daily. You'd have to pick one time depending on when your interview finishes.
4. There is one cafeteria in opp. building (downstairs). It sucks big time though but should be good enough to fill your stomach.
5. Take your passports - ALL OF THEM. The officer verified my F-1 visa stamp (I came in on F-1) on my older passport agaist the I-20 that is on file. The officer will have your entire charithra (history) in a big fat file that they bring to the interview table :) So, be honest in your answers.
6. The officer asked for supporting documents for traffic tickets mentioend in the application. I had taken the originals and she made copies of all the documents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks IPL-fan.

Its been a long journey from H1 -> GC (Subst Labor) -> 140 got approved in 3 weeks in 01/2002 -> 485 was struck for 2 and 1/2 yrs -> 09/2004 -> 2010 Citizenship. I have been using this forum for last 8 years on and off.

I appreciate all fellow members and forum admins who have spent their valuable time to ease my tensions with answers right back. I hope everyone of you completes your citizenship smoothly
Now I will be watching Life after Citizenship forum and applying for OCI etc. and then probably back to GC process for relatives :).

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

and, yeah, may be change your name to senior_member then? :)
Good luck!

Since you will be headed to Fairfax yourself, here are some tips that may be of help:
1. The officers (for both my wife and me) were extremely friendly.
2. We were called in about 45 min into our appointment time.
3. There are 2 Oath Ceremony times - 2pm and 4pm daily. You'd have to pick one time depending on when your interview finishes.
4. There is one cafeteria in opp. building (downstairs). It sucks big time though but should be good enough to fill your stomach.
5. Take your passports - ALL OF THEM. The officer verified my F-1 visa stamp (I came in on F-1) on my older passport agaist the I-20 that is on file. The officer will have your entire charithra (history) in a big fat file that they bring to the interview table :) So, be honest in your answers.
6. The officer asked for supporting documents for traffic tickets mentioend in the application. I had taken the originals and she made copies of all the documents.

Thanks rakopa. I will keep that in mind when I go for my interview.

We went to the Carl J Stokes courthouse (the new building near tower city) at 7:30 AM
Our ceremony was at 8:00 AM
(BTW, we parked at the tower city lot - entrance near amphitheater due to construction)
The lady there gave a summary of what was going to happen and what to do etc...
Nothing happens till the USCIS officer shows up anyways.

Whew!... it's over!

Congrats again! thanks for the details. Mine is at 8:00 AM too. this will be helpful.

Have fun. Thanks

I am now an American Citizen!!!!
In ATL, don't plan anything else for the day of your interview. The process will suck up your whole day. But it is worth the time.

Interview was at 10:15. Got their at 9:30 and entered the building at about 9:45. My interview letter said the 2nd floor, but once their they sent me to the 3rd floor where I check in. I waited about for about an hour and fifteen minutes until they called my name. The officer, who i could not really read, was kind of icy. He swore me in and began going over my file (which looked like it what everything filed with them ever). He asked if was was still married and if my husband was with me (based on 3yr). I explained that my husband worked nights and got off at six this morning. He shuffled through other papers and asked if I had evidence of our marriage. I only had our marriage certificate and my tax documents. He said he expected more and questioned me about the last 12 hrs of my life. He also asked for my husband's cell phone number and proceeded to call him. Once he collaborated the info I had just given him. He began the reading and writing test and then the questions. All correct and then he said he recommended me for approval. Yay!!! (total time about 20 minutes)

Went down to second floor, waited for about another hour. Got my oath letter about 12:45 and was told to return at 2:00. Got back, sat in the waiting area for about what seemed like forever. But there were 174 of us taking the oath, so it took some time to get everyone where they should be. About another hour after that I am pronounce a US Citizen. Hope this helps. Good luck to all waiting.