2010 February N-400 Tracker

I posted this in the Boston thread.

Completed the interview today. The actual process took about 20 minutes, but there was lot of waiting involved, taking almost 2 hrs. Civics/readin/writing test was straightforward. Then, I waited in another room for the actual interview. The IO went through most questions in the N-400 form, asked if I was ever arrested/charged. I said no, but clarified that I had a speeding ticket from 2002 (non-DUI and < $500). He asked if I had receipt of payment. I didn't, but I did have driving records from MA and CT (where I got the ticket). I told him that even CT's record did not show my ticket. He didn't mind. He just made copies of the driving record. He then made me print my complete name on N-400 (first, I signed my name, but he asked me to print full name). Finally, he gave me a paper which said "Congratulations, your case has been recommended for approval". He also stamped "APPROVED" in the file he had open. I was asked to wait outside. After a little while, the lady at the counter asked me to print my name on the photographs and told me that the oath letter will come in the mail. It looks like the oath may not happen before August in Boston.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Congrats Dm1 and Suresh_1980! And thank you for writing about your interviews.

Dm1 - good luck to your spouse tomorrow.

Suresh_1980 - what is your District Office? :confused:

Congrats to all passing the interviews and thanks for sharing your experience.

Update

Finally I received text message/email that case has been transferred to DO this morning. I guess my interview will be in the middle of June. Will update as soon as I receive IL.

Congrats to all passing the interviews and thanks for sharing your experience.

Update

Finally I received text message/email that case has been transferred to DO this morning. I guess my interview will be in the middle of June. Will update as soon as I receive IL.

Congrats ....... you were due for a long time to get this......better late than never.

Good luck and keep us posted.

congrats! finally your case is moving along, you've been spending too much time waiting

IPL-fan and DavidSea, thank you very much. It is a relief to see another step closer. I guess "waiting" being part of a username was a bad idea!!

My wife completed the interview today successfully. Exactly the same experience as me yesterday, even the exact same Civics questions.

They schedule interview about month from the date when status changed to Transferred to local office.. so good luck

Need Advice from GURUS on N400 interview.

Hi

I had my interview.

I answered all the questions and the officer asked me standard question around the application. I did well and as he was ready to hand over me the form, he said a written decision will be mailed because he wants to get approval from his officer.

I am not sure what that means. He didn't ask me any documentation or gave me any further details. After reading the forums all I can say is my case was pretty straight forward except that I had changed my job in the same profile and salary immediately after the GC. The good part was that my wife was recommended for the approval.

Based on my reading the forums I know some have been in this situation even though it is not very common and I am also aware of the consequences some have pointed out about changing the job after GC. Unfortunately the situation forced me to take that step and my ignorance of the consequences that can occur during naturalization process. So I took my chances.

My question to experts.
1. Can any denial on my Citizenship can have an impact on my spouse Application even though she was recommended for approval.
2. I have collected decent material showing the situation I was in and that accepted the offer with the client in the same profile and salary. The client where I was working for more than six years thru multiple H1 sponsors was bought by another company who wanted to convert the consultants to full time. I worked for more than 3 years with the employee who sponsored my GC out of which almost 2.5 years after I-485 was filed. My professional relationship with the client and my ignorance kind of made me choose that option
3. If denial happens what can I do.

thanks for your support. I have been an active reader but don't have much expertise so was never posting any comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Can any denial on my Citizenship can have an impact on my spouse Application even though she was recommended for approval.
No
2. I have collected decent material showing the situation I was in and that accepted the offer with the client in the same profile and salary. The client where I was working for more than six years thru multiple H1 sponsors was bought by another company who wanted to convert the consultants to full time. I worked for more than 3 years with the employee who sponsored my GC out of which almost 2.5 years after I-485 was filed. My professional relationship with the client and my ignorance kind of made me choose that option
most likely you will be fine
3. If denial happens what can I do.
appeal

Had my interview today. Scheduled at 1, arrived at 12:30. Handed in appointment letter and sat in the waiting room. Was called in around 1:20 but as we were walking back to the interviewing officer's office, one of her colleagues told her she should take another appointment. She politely asked me to go and sit back down in the lobby. I was a little annoyed. Was called back in around 2 pm. She asked me to raise my right hand and then the interview began. She apologized for what happened earlier and explained that she does military cases too and those take precendent so the guy before me was in the military. I was cool with that, our troops come first!

She asked me for my passport, green card and drivers license and then she started to go over my file. She then gave me the oral and written test, after the first 6 questions which were a piece of cake, she stopped. She then went over my application and verified the information on it. Once she got to the section about being arrested or cited, I told her I wanted to change my answer from no to yes and I mentioned a speeding ticket I had received a few years ago. I gave her the documentation pertaining to that incident and she added it to my file. She then asked me to sign the oath section of the application and then she stamped approved. At this point I got a little emotional. She told me she would try to get me into the 4 pm oath ceremony if not I would have to come back on Monday to do the oath. She had me stay put and then came back 10 minutes letter with my oath letter. I attended the oath ceremony and it was surreal for the most part as I had always dreamed of being in this country as a kid. It was one of the best moments of my life! I'm now officially a US citizen. This country has done so much for me and provided me with so much opportunities. It's an absolute honor. Thanks to everyone that shared their experiences and input, this site provided me with all the information I needed throughout the process. I also want to wish everyone else that is waiting and those who plan to apply soon all the best.

Congrats, iamrayl and good luck to those scheduled for an interview.

Received IL today scheduled for June 15. Signature updated.

One question - on the checklist, it says to bring original and photocopy. Do we need to bring a photocopy of all documents?

Had my interview in the Charlotte DO today. It was scheduled for 11am, and I got called around 11:20. There were only 3 other people in the waiting room with me at that time. The interview was very straight forward. I had to take an oath and then the interview went through all the questions on my application. No issues there. He then asked me for my marriage certificate as I got married after becoming a permanent resident. Of the 100;s of things they asked me to bring, the marriage certficate was not on that list. So I told him I didnt have it on me and it was at home. The interviewer said that was fine and that he would give me a envelope to mail it to him (at this point my heart sank coz it meant more of delay for me).

We then proceeded to the testing portion. All very straightforward so no issues there. He then proceeded to complete all the paperwork. He stamped the application as approved and said I could come back in 2 days for the oath. I got up to leave and then reminded him about the marriage certficate. He realized he had forgotten about that and said he couldnt proceed without it. Luckily I lived 5 mins away and said I could go home and get it for him. He was cool with that and I was back in about 20min. He took the copy I made, handed me the approval form and then asked me to wait. About 10 mins later another gentleman came and provided me the oath letter and told me to show up in two days. And I was done :)

wow that was cool.. congrates vbjoseph, we have interview in the same office on June 1st.. good luck.

Finished interview and oath today. It was same as the other members have described.
I was called about 20 minutes after my scheduled time. IO was very nice, went over my application, question by question.
Then asked me 6 questions.
1. Longest river
2. speaker of house
3. Date of independence
4. How many years president is elected ?
5. who lived in US before Europeans
6. Bill of rights

Asked me to wait for 1/2 hour. Then one of the officer did the oath ceremony. I had to sign few more papers prior to the oath. Got my naturalization certificate, signed it.

Thanks to this forum for very helpful information and support.

arvindkumar1111, dhai,

Good luck to you for your interview today....

james18_1990,

Good luck to you for your interview tomorrow.

hi thanks IPL-fan,
Journey to US citizenship is over today! Finally! Sigh of relief!
Thanks to all the forum people for their incredible support and guidance. Amazing job!
Let me tell about my interview experience,
reached at 1230pm for my 1pm interview. Gave my I/L to the receptionist. Waited about 35minutes. A pleasant interview officer came out, called my name, got me into the office. Gave me an oath to speak the truth prior to starting the interview. Just like the video on the USCIS website. Next he went over the entire N400 form and verifying everything. During the section on the trips out of country, I had two trips of >1 year but I had re-entry permits for them and he said that he would verify the counts of days in and out of country before approving my final application. I had a traffic ticket for a car accident, and I gave him the original court disposition documents that he kept. Once all the sections were finished he had me sign the form at two places. Then I was administered the civics test. The questions are the same as dr_rks, the last one was what are the first ten amendments to the constitution called - Bill of Rights. Reading and writing test was a piece of cake. He again verified all my dates and counted the time and said it was fine and congratulated me and recommended me for citizenship.
Took the oath ceremony on the next floor in about one hour. All in all, reached the place at 1230 and was done at 3pm.
Now I gotta apply for the passport........
Once again thanks guys.........

Congrats arvindkumar1111...... That sounds like a wonderful interview experience and thanks for sharing with us.