2 Questions regarding my brother's I-130 filing

WhyThisDelay

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I'm preparing to file for I-130 for my brother back in my home country and had 2 questions regarding it:

1) I have N400 pending currently. Do I need to get the US passport before filing for my brother's I-130 or the copy of Naturalization certificate is enough?

2) Both mine and my brother's birth certificates have name blank on them even though it has our parents names(it was customary to name the child a few days after birth back then). This I assume will not be able to establish the bonafide sibling relationship. I think I'll need to send 2 affidavits. Question - Are 2 affidavits from parents is sufficient or they have to be from uncles/aunts? Also is there a sample affidavit on this forum?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I'm preparing to file for I-130 for my brother back in my home country and had 2 questions regarding it:

1) I have N400 pending currently. Do I need to get the US passport before filing for my brother's I-130 or the copy of Naturalization certificate is enough?

2) Both mine and my brother's birth certificates have name blank on them even though it has our parents names(it was customary to name the child a few days after birth back then). This I assume will not be able to establish the bonafide sibling relationship. I think I'll need to send 2 affidavits. Question - Are 2 affidavits from parents is sufficient or they have to be from uncles/aunts? Also is there a sample affidavit on this forum?

Thanks in advance.

1. Natz cert copy is OK.

2. go here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html select country and read.

follow up question

Hi - Thanks for the link. For my home country (India) - requirement for affidavit says following on that site:

"In cases where birth certificates from the authorities are unavailable or contain insufficient information regarding the birth or the parents, a sworn affidavit executed by either the parents, if living, or other close relatives older than the applicant, may be submitted. It should set forth the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts. Such an affidavit, when a birth certificate is unavailable, should be accompanied by a document from a competent governmental authority confirming that the certificate does not exist, or no longer exists."

Question:
What would be the competent govt. authority for a town in india - is it certificate from municipal corporation or from tehsil court? (this might be a headache - since they'll most likely have no records going back to seventies)

Also people having experience with similar situation - please chime in.

Actually after reading the last line again - it seems that the requirement to get unavailability certificate from govt. agency is only if the birth certificate does not exist. In my case it does exist - it's only that it has insufficient info on it. So do I just need two sworn affidavits from relatives or will i need the govt. unavailability cert. too?

Gurus - please chime in.

Following is the line from the paragraph from govt site link:

("Such an affidavit, when a birth certificate is unavailable, should be accompanied by a document from a competent governmental authority confirming that the certificate does not exist, or no longer exists.")

Hi - Thanks for the link. For my home country (India) - requirement for affidavit says following on that site:

"In cases where birth certificates from the authorities are unavailable or contain insufficient information regarding the birth or the parents, a sworn affidavit executed by either the parents, if living, or other close relatives older than the applicant, may be submitted. It should set forth the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts. Such an affidavit, when a birth certificate is unavailable, should be accompanied by a document from a competent governmental authority confirming that the certificate does not exist, or no longer exists."

Question:
What would be the competent govt. authority for a town in india - is it certificate from municipal corporation or from tehsil court? (this might be a headache - since they'll most likely have no records going back to seventies)

Also people having experience with similar situation - please chime in.