?

dfkj45

Registered Users (C)
Anybody can tell me why Canadian citizens need US green card? Canadians may stay within US however long they like, right?

There is a catch

They have to appear in the consulate every year (i think TN visa) . This is under NAFTA I think.
Why do you ask -- are you a Canadian Citizen?

dfkj45 said:
Anybody can tell me why Canadian citizens need US green card? Canadians may stay within US however long they like, right?

Canadians may visit the US without a visa or I-94 for up to six months, and we do not require a visa stamp for the vast majority of categories.

However, we cannot live within the US indefinitely, nor can we work for anyone we wish. We still need permanent residency.

redsword said:
They have to appear in the consulate every year (i think TN visa) . This is under NAFTA I think.

We *never* need to go to the consulate (except for E and K).

We can get the TN at the border on the spot, and renew it via an I-129 to NSC every year. The TN is more restrictive in some was than the H-1, and only lasts for a year. However, obtaining it is very quick and cheap. ($56).

Thanks a lot guys. I am a Chinese, not a Canadian. Now suppose green card holder likes to work in Canada, then similar rules apply, I assume?

dfkj45 said:
Thanks a lot guys. I am a Chinese, not a Canadian. Now suppose green card holder likes to work in Canada, then similar rules apply, I assume?

Absolutely. Your GC gives you no special privileges, except *maybe* the right to enter as a visitor without a visa. You'll still need a work permit to work. Why on Earth would you want to work in Canada, anyways? Does the thought of higher taxes on a significantly lower income interest you?