1 year or 3 years for TN starting Oct. 1

pigsfly

Hi all. I am just about to put in an online TN renewal, with my current status being until the 30th as per the stamp in my passport (Yes, I likely should have done this earlier). That said, I was wondering if I should request one year or three. As I understand it, the new regulation has been approved, but is not technically in place since it has yet to be published in the Federal Register. Since a rejection seems like a bad thing, I was hoping that someone might have some insight here.

thanks.

You will still have to send in supporting documentation as evidence for the TN extension. Part of this will be your offer letter. Normally the offer letter states "for 365 days on approval by USCIS". What you may want to say this time is "for 365 days under current USCIS regulations. If the new regulation is in place by USCIS, then we would like to extend it by 1095 days rather than the standard 365 days".

Just think about the wording - that's all.

probaly even safer to simply say requesting TN for "maximum time permitted under current TN regualtions" instaed of mentionning three years.

If it is three years on the day he goes there, they'll know, especially at a Cdn bprder crossing, believe me.

nelsona,

I know what you mean. I remember when I used to go to the border they used to want to see a start date and an end date.

It's good wording, just a tough call depending on the officer.

Well, if your facing an officer who is going to quibble over a letter that doesn't have an end date (which is not required btw) then you can bet that officer will deny any letter that equivocates between a one-year and three-year work term unless and until the 3-year term is black letter regulation.

Absent carrying 2 letters, and asking "do you give out 3-year TNs?" before handing over the correct one, I don't see how taking a letter with any mention of the word "three" in one letter will get you approved.

probaly even safer to simply say requesting TN for "maximum time permitted under current TN regualtions" instaed of mentionning three years.
QUOTE]

This is the wording I'm using for my new offer letter I'm submitting electronically.
I do not see anything published in the Federal Register yet that makes 3 year TN"s official but who knows if the web version is really "current"

This is the wording I'm using for my new offer letter I'm submitting electronically.

I didn't know one submits their TN letter electronically. I'm pretty sure its sent immediately afterwards along with other supporting docs.

Once you've filed the I-129 online you'll get a receipt that gives you instructions that you need to mail all of your evidence to USCIS with a copy of the receipt.

Once you've filed the I-129 online you'll get a receipt that gives you instructions that you need to mail all of your evidence to USCIS with a copy of the receipt.

Exactly. Nothing but the I-129 is submitted electronically.