• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

Just a tip from someone who's been here for 5 years. If you can, try to get an Amex card in Australia (or if you have one already, DO NOT CANCEL). Once you're in the US, you can call them up and request a profile transfer - essentially, they will use your Australian credit score in lieu of not having a US credit score and provide a non-secured card. I was able to open an Amex Gold as my first CC within a month of my move. This will also allow you to get a step ahead with generating your US credit score.
Very good advice! Thanks for that

Just a tip from someone who's been here for 5 years. If you can, try to get an Amex card in Australia (or if you have one already, DO NOT CANCEL). Once you're in the US, you can call them up and request a profile transfer - essentially, they will use your Australian credit score in lieu of not having a US credit score and provide a non-secured card. I was able to open an Amex Gold as my first CC within a month of my move. This will also allow you to get a step ahead with generating your US credit score.
On this, note that while some countries like Australia transfer their Amex credit score, but others don’t. So for any non-Australians reading this - do check, especially if you don’t already have an Amex card and are considering getting one just for this . I don’t remember the details of why it differs, but it does.

I do feel in some ways the need for a credit score as soon as you land is overdone. You can get a secured credit card, you can get a cellphone contract with a refundable deposit etc without a credit score. Normally any such deposits are (a) not onerous (b) repaid in a year. We found it really didn’t take very long to get a decent enough credit score to do anything we needed to do without further hassle. All you really need are a couple of accounts that you pay off regularly. Caveat, we didn’t finance our cars so not sure what extra hoops might be necessary for those who want to do that.

Great tip! This also works with Citi

On this, note that while some countries like Australia transfer their Amex credit score, but others don’t. So for any non-Australians reading this - do check, especially if you don’t already have an Amex card and are considering getting one just for this . I don’t remember the details of why it differs, but it does.

I do feel in some ways the need for a credit score as soon as you land is overdone. You can get a secured credit card, you can get a cellphone contract with a refundable deposit etc without a credit score. Normally any such deposits are (a) not onerous (b) repaid in a year. We found it really didn’t take very long to get a decent enough credit score to do anything we needed to do without further hassle. All you really need are a couple of accounts that you pay off regularly. Caveat, we didn’t finance our cars so not sure what extra hoops might be necessary for those who want to do that.
I got a credit card approved (ridiculously low credit limit) within a few months of being here on a non immigrant visa. With Capital One. I did get a job right away which helped. I think the credit score issue is more of a problem when you’re on a J1 or student Visa or an E3 Visa because you’re not considered a permanent resident and that apparently is some kind of a lever for credit card approval.

Hi everyone, this may have already been discussed and if so apologies. I’m just looking for advice on health insurance and what people did in RE to what they did when they went to the USA to activate their green card.

I’m making the permanent move in a few weeks and am now working out what my plan is with health insurance so any insight on what others have done would be great.

Hi everyone, this may have already been discussed and if so apologies. I’m just looking for advice on health insurance and what people did in RE to what they did when they went to the USA to activate their green card.

I’m making the permanent move in a few weeks and am now working out what my plan is with health insurance so any insight on what others have done would be great.
If you check out this post, Susie replied with some info - https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2022-oc-selectees.344384/post-2590089

Also someone mentioned one they got (PATRIOT AMERICA PLUS) on the page after that as well. Has been discussed a few times but haven't seen many answers given a majority of us haven't actually gone yet. And for those that have, most aren't active now given they've moved so don't have much reason to be.

I haven't figured out mine yet but will be looking for a US job before moving so will hopefully just have it through an employer.

I think I may be the one person who did that. Suva responded almost immediately (as they do) & transferred me back to Sydney within 24 hours. I didn't hear from Sydney so I messaged them a couple of times & finally got a response about 3 weeks later. They accepted my case but warned me that there was no guarantee of an interview. From what I can see, Sydney have scheduled up to OC2115, but I don't think they've sent out a single 2NL since mid June. I think time is not on our side, so I'd definitely stick with Suva if you're 100% sure you want it.
Hey did you end up getting the 2NL from Sydney? Not sure if they’ve finished for the year but hope you got through..

Hey did you end up getting the 2NL from Sydney? Not sure if they’ve finished for the year but hope you got through..
No I didn't unfortunately. I've been checking the data & there haven't been any 2NLs for Sydney since the big dumping a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure how many other Sydney people are yet to hear, but it can't be many - they've scheduled way past my case number. I can't help thinking that if I'd not transferred to Suva I would have been scheduled in Sydney by now. By transferring to Suva & back I suspect I've reset my place in the queue.

I'm not optimistic, but maybe a spot or 2 might come up in the last few weeks.....

No I didn't unfortunately. I've been checking the data & there haven't been any 2NLs for Sydney since the big dumping a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure how many other Sydney people are yet to hear, but it can't be many - they've scheduled way past my case number. I can't help thinking that if I'd not transferred to Suva I would have been scheduled in Sydney by now. By transferring to Suva & back I suspect I've reset my place in the queue.

I'm not optimistic, but maybe a spot or 2 might come up in the last few weeks.....
All speculation I guess. There are some that did not transfer at all they had OC3xx and OC7xx, OC3xx was never scheduled in Sydney while the OC7xx got one at the very end scheduled for Sept 20 (during the last big batch). So its hard to say if Suva had anything to do with it or not, Sydney doesn't seem to follow the rules :/

Is going back to Suva not an option? as someone posted recently saying they were still accepting people. I wouldn't expect Sydney (not trying to be a downer just for those still on the fence of transferring) to take any more given they've scheduled people up to Sept 20 (that's the latest date I'm aware of) unless there are some cancellations or something (not sure if they try to fill in spots in that case).

The person from this thread (now transferred to Suva) https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2022-selectee-missed-interview-date.346050/ missed their interview date earlier in the year and was on a wait list at Sydney to be scheduled if something opened up. So there may be quite a few people that are still on a wait list so its anyone guess where you are on that (the OC3xx and others not scheduled could also be ahead). So may need more than a spot or 2 as we don't know how many others are also waiting for "a spot or 2" to open

Last edited:
Is going back to Suva not an option
Yes, I could do that - Suva did email me a couple of weeks ago to ask if I wanted to (they're seriously great over there!)

I'm ambivalent about it to be honest though, which is why I was happy to take the risk of moving it back to Sydney. My kids are at an age where moving to the US is pretty daunting despite my own personal desire to do so. I've moved counties about 5 times over the years & I know how hard it can be. If it's meant to be & it happens, great, otherwise I'll keep trying to win the lottery again & hopefully the timing will work out then...

It’s been almost a month here in the States and finally got my green card in the mail! Wasn’t expecting it to be this quick! Once again, massive thanks to all the members, admins, and Simon for creating this group for the massive support - wish everyone the best for their journeys in the States

Yes, I could do that - Suva did email me a couple of weeks ago to ask if I wanted to (they're seriously great over there!)

I'm ambivalent about it to be honest though, which is why I was happy to take the risk of moving it back to Sydney. My kids are at an age where moving to the US is pretty daunting despite my own personal desire to do so. I've moved counties about 5 times over the years & I know how hard it can be. If it's meant to be & it happens, great, otherwise I'll keep trying to win the lottery again & hopefully the timing will work out then...
Hope you end up getting a 2nl mate, you and anyone else still waiting.