N400 application unintentional bigamy

gem2021

I need help/advice with my situation:

I married my husband without knowing that I was still married with my ex. After finding out that I was still married with my ex, I had the marriage annulled. After getting the annulment, my husband and I remarried then I filed for my greencard.

Now, I am applying for citizenship, there is a question "Have you ever been married to more than one person at the same time?" What should I answer?

Also, there is a question, how many times have you been married, including remarried to the same person? Should I answer 2 or 3? I checked my previous greencard application and there, when asked for the question how many times have you been married, I answered 2. I was unable to count the remarriage. Now I think I messed up big time.

How do I fix my situation? I asked my lawyer and he said he will think about it first. :(

I need help with filing for my naturalization. I came in the US in 2011 under B1/ B2 tourist visa grantrd to me in 2006. After arriving in the US, I changed my status to F1 ( international student). I married my now husband September of 2016 here in California. After marrying him, i found out that my ex boyfriend in the philippines fraudulently filed for a marriage license and there was a record of our marriage in the philippines. When I found out about it, I immidiately filed for annulment. The annulmrnt was granted by California court October 2017. I then remarried my now husband in November 2017. I filed for greencard application on December 2017 and got my greencard March 2018. Now, I am planning on applying for my N-400 Naturalization application, I noticed there was a question about bigamy. What should I answer to this question? Should I answer NO and just don't talk about my first marriage with my now husband or should I answer YES?

I need help with filing for my naturalization. I came in the US in 2011 under B1/ B2 tourist visa grantrd to me in 2006. After arriving in the US, I changed my status to F1 ( international student). I married my now husband September of 2016 here in California. After marrying him, i found out that my ex boyfriend in the philippines fraudulently filed for a marriage license and there was a record of our marriage in the philippines. When I found out about it, I immidiately filed for annulment. The annulmrnt was granted by California court October 2017. I then remarried my now husband in November 2017. I filed for greencard application on December 2017 and got my greencard March 2018. Now, I am planning on applying for my N-400 Naturalization application, I noticed there was a question about bigamy. What should I answer to this question? Should I answer NO and just don't talk about my first marriage with my now husband or should I answer YES?

Now, I am planning on applying for my N-400 Naturalization application, I noticed there was a question about bigamy. What should I answer to this question? Should I answer NO and just don't talk about my first marriage with my now husband or should I answer YES?

Answering "NO" will be a lie, right? You're required to truthfully answer all the questions asked on any immigration form.

Answering "NO" will be a lie, right? You're required to truthfully answer all the questions asked on any immigration form.
I spoke with some lawyers saying that since I got an annulment, technically the marriage is void and doesn't exist.

I spoke with some lawyers saying that since I got an annulment, technically the marriage is void and doesn't exist.
It doesn’t exist now but it existed then. The answer is yes, you can explain what happened in the section for explaining, take the annulment papers to the interview.

It doesn’t exist now but it existed then. The answer is yes, you can explain what happened in the section for explaining, take the annulment papers to the interview.
Thank you. Do you think I will get denied and possibly deported because of this?

Yes, that marriage no longer exists, and you're not currently committing bigamy, there's no doubt about that. The question on the N400 form is quite specific, it says "Have you EVER been married to more than one person at the same time?" Records of your first marriage to your husband exists, it coincides with records of your marriage to your boyfriend back in the Philippines which also exists before that marriage was annulled. Your first marriage may not be recognized for immigration purpose or by US laws, the fact is it did happened - you obtained a marriage license, got married and subsequently got a marriage certificate.

Yours could be classified as unintentional bigamy, it nonetheless needs to be disclosed and explained like Susie already stated above. I suggest you get your story straight about the marriage in the Philippines to your ex though (you've told two different kind of stories here).

This Nolo article may be of help to you.

This is the only situation/story I posted here.

Thank you for your help.

“I married my husband without knowing that I was still married with my ex” isn’t quite the same as “i found out that my ex boyfriend in the philippines fraudulently filed for a marriage license and there was a record of our marriage in the philippines”

The first statement implies you were previously aware of the marriage having taken place, you just didn’t realize you were still married when you married your USC husband. The second statement implies you never even knew the marriage took place since your ex boyfriend fraudulently obtained the marriage license which subsequently got posted. That is why I suggested being careful with the narrative you provide to USCIS on your N400 form.