SSN Update

Tapon

I got my citizenship less than two months ago. My whole family go citizenship same time. They told us to update our social security within 45 days. Its already more than 45 days (not more than two months). I was busy with college and midterm exams. I couldn't update my SSN in 45 days. I am thinking to update this Friday. Will this be problem if update now?

hi There,
I talked to the SSS office to update my Citizenship and name change with my passport but for my daughter who turned 13 years old they said we need her prrof of cicitzenship to udate her US citizenship. is that correct? shoul not be a citizen automatacly hhen the parents became US citizen before she turns 18? i appreiate any experiance or advise.

hi There,
I talked to the SSS office to update my Citizenship and name change with my passport but for my daughter who turned 13 years old they said we need her prrof of cicitzenship to udate her US citizenship. is that correct? shoul not be a citizen automatacly hhen the parents became US citizen before she turns 18? i appreiate any experiance or advise.
She is automatically a citizen, but they still need to see proof of that. Did you apply for a passport for her? If not I’d suggest doing that.

She is automatically a citizen, but they still need to see proof of that. Did you apply for a passport for her? If not I’d suggest doing that.
No not yet. We applied for her n-600 since about month ago but we didn’t hear back. So maybe better to wait until we get her Certificate? I don’t what we do with the taxes because her name changed to be all the same family name through the court. SS advise to file taxes with the old name if we didn’t get her certificate of citizenship before April 15th. Do you think this is correct?

No not yet. We applied for her n-600 since about month ago but we didn’t hear back. So maybe better to wait until we get her Certificate? I don’t what we do with the taxes because her name changed to be all the same family name through the court. SS advise to file taxes with the old name if we didn’t get her certificate of citizenship before April 15th. Do you think this is correct?
The n600 can take much longer than a passport. Average processing time is I think about 6-12 months. My kid’s took 3 months, pre Covid, and with submission of passport copy. (Curious why you didn’t submit passport applications for everyone at the same time?)
I don’t know what to do about the name change, sorry.

The n600 can take much longer than a passport. Average processing time is I think about 6-12 months. My kid’s took 3 months, pre Covid, and with submission of passport copy. (Curious why you didn’t submit passport applications for everyone at the same time?)
I don’t know what to do about the name change, sorry.
May I consider send her passport application with my passport book or card when I got the card while we are waiting for the n-600? I don’t want to send my certificate of citizenship again if it works in this way and accept the passport card.
Her name was changed in the court and if the SS didn’t change her name and citizenship until later. I’m wondering we still able to file taxes and have our Children’s name the old name which is related to her SS number?

Last edited:
I really have no idea about how the name change works or impacts stuff, sorry.
Please check the passport instructions as to what is suitable to send. I did my kid’s application with mine so both applications used the naturalization certificate but I am sure other proof of citizenship works.

May I consider send her passport application with my passport book or card when I got the card while we are waiting for the n-600? I don’t want to send my certificate of citizenship again if it works in this way and accept the passport card.
Her name was changed in the court and if the SS didn’t change her name and citizenship until later. I’m wondering we still able to file taxes and have our Children’s name the old name which is related to her SS number?
Just update you guys,
My daughter received the letter to go to the field office and get her Naturalization certificate through N-600. They didn’t send her any bio. Only case was received notice and the one to go and get her certificate. It’s around 3 months process. Thanks again for the support in our journey.