LA asylum Applicants [2020]

pendingasylee38

Hello there fellow Asylees / pending Asylees ,

i was thinking with the lack of insights throw this rough times , may be we should gather up and post so sort of our time lines maybe we can get a general idea of what's going on ..

My time line is as follow :
- Aug 3rd 2020 applied for asylum LA office
- Aug 19th 2020 Receipt Notice
- Sept 26th 2020 Biometric Notice
- Oct 15th 2020 Attended the biometric appointment

no updates since then am very concerned what the wait time could look like am not sure how we stand from LIFO so far as i know only ppl got interviews from LA office are the ones rescheduled , please share your input much appreciated

Hello there fellow Asylees / pending Asylees ,

i was thinking with the lack of insights throw this rough times , may be we should gather up and post so sort of our time lines maybe we can get a general idea of what's going on ..

My time line is as follow :
- Aug 3rd 2020 applied for asylum LA office
- Aug 19th 2020 Receipt Notice
- Sept 26th 2020 Biometric Notice
- Oct 15th 2020 Attended the biometric appointment

no updates since then am very concerned what the wait time could look like am not sure how we stand from LIFO so far as i know only ppl got interviews from LA office are the ones rescheduled , please share your input much appreciated

Unfortunately you will not be scheduled for the interview in the near future. As of today LA office is still rescheduling people from April 2020 who was scheduled for the interview but didn't attend it due to COVID. And they operate at 25% capacity as of now. Let's say they will be done with the rescheduled interviews by March 2021. Then they will start processing new cases filed in March 2021, then go back to February, then to January etc.

Long story short for them in order to get to you they have to be done with all rescheduled people from April of 2020 and then all the people that filed after you.

Unfortunately you will not be scheduled for the interview in the near future. As of today LA office is still rescheduling people from April 2020 who was scheduled for the interview but didn't attend it due to COVID. And they operate at 25% capacity as of now. Let's say they will be done with the rescheduled interviews by March 2021. Then they will start processing new cases filed in March 2021, then go back to February, then to January etc.

Long story short for them in order to get to you they have to be done with all rescheduled people from April of 2020 and then all the people that filed after you.
How do you feel about SF office?
I filed in April 2020

How do you feel about SF office?
I filed in April 2020

I have no knowledge about where SF office stands today but the principle is the same: if you filed in April 2020 and wasn't scheduled for an interview back yet then you are in for a long wait.

I have no knowledge about where SF office stands today but the principle is the same: if you filed in April 2020 and wasn't scheduled for an interview back yet then you are in for a long wait.
I talked to them in November 2020 and they said they're finishing up with the canceled interviews due to covid.

Thank you for your very helpful response aperchite it a lot ,
As of today LA office is still rescheduling people from April 2020 who was scheduled for the interview but didn't attend it due to COVID. And they operate at 25% capacity as of now. Let's say they will be done with the rescheduled interviews by March 2021.
Totally agree and totally makes sense and so far that's the information i got hold of ..

once again thanks a lot for your input much appreciated , best of luck

I talked to them in November 2020 and they said they're finishing up with the canceled interviews due to covid.

you should take their info with a grain of salt. I wouldn't rely solely on this source. Find local immigration attorney and ask about current status. They should know for sure as they should have clients from the spring of 2020. If they are done with canceled interviews then you have Jan 2021 - May 2020 in front of you.

Hi guy!
If anyone could please help me, it would be much appreciated. I applied for asylum Oct-2016 and still waiting for interview. Beginning of 2020 I applied for expedite interview and got rejected, letter saying that interview would be scheduled on regular time.
I again applied January 2021, this time I got a letter from newark asylum office that application has been received and queued for scheduling. An asylum interview would be scheduled as soon as resources permit. It might take longer than usual because of covid-19. We will make every effort to prioritise your case.
Would be please let me know what does it mean ? Any one has any experience with this kind of reply from asylum office ?
Please let me know

Hi guy!
If anyone could please help me, it would be much appreciated. I applied for asylum Oct-2016 and still waiting for interview. Beginning of 2020 I applied for expedite interview and got rejected, letter saying that interview would be scheduled on regular time.
I again applied January 2021, this time I got a letter from newark asylum office that application has been received and queued for scheduling. An asylum interview would be scheduled as soon as resources permit. It might take longer than usual because of covid-19. We will make every effort to prioritise your case.
Would be please let me know what does it mean ? Any one has any experience with this kind of reply from asylum office ?
Please let me know
It means that they have probably put you on a short list to be interviewed if a slot becomes available. There is no way to say when that will be, but be ready for a short notice (a week or so prior to the interview, they will call you)

Last edited:
It means that they have probably put you on a short list to be interviewed if a slot becomes available. There is no way to say when that will be, but be ready for a short notice (a week or so prior to the interview, they will call you)
Thanks you so much for your kind reply. I have waited a lot for my interview. Thanks for your reply.

Is This process the same for some people who are waiting for the decision since 2019?

Hi guy!
Please let me know
how many days you heard back from asylum office that you added to the short list, my office told me they need one month to tell me whether I am qualify for the short list. thank you