• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who's still awaiting approval. It was a wild ride for me and I'm thankful for @Sm1smom for devoting this incredible amount of time running this forum. I've been following this forum for some time and read some of the earlier posts and I'm just heartbroken for anyone who was not approved, especially when this entire process may have cost them money they really didn't have. Their stories made me feel undeserving of my new LPR status and I hope their future gets better
Yes you deserve your new status, and do enjoy it! Thank you

Hi @Sm1smom I had my card mailed status change on August 20 and then on August 24 it says insufficient address and returned to sender. And on September 5 USPS updated tracking by saying return to sender processed. After long days in September 26, USPS updated the tracking by saying :
Delivered, To Original Sender
LEES SUMMIT, MO 64081
Your item has been delivered to the original sender at 11:27 am on September 26, 2020 in LEES SUMMIT, MO 64081.

And today USCIS updated my case saying " On September 26, the Post Office delivered your new card for Receipt Number **** to the address that you gave us The tracking number assigned is ******. You can use your tracking number at www.USPS.com in the Quick Tools Tracking section. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."

I will call to USCIS tomorrow but I'm not sure that what should I do in this case.

Please provide me any suggestions. I could not find anyone with similar cases to mine while doing research over google.

Here is the updated rosters of last minutes group as of 10 am EDT, 9/28/2020.

There are only three days left in this fiscal year.

Group 1; Bio and Interview completed. Awaiting approval

DET Bio on 8/4, int on 9/4
PIT Bio waived, int on 9/3
MWK Bio on 8/17, int on 9/15
SJC Bio on 8/19, Int on 9/28(Scheduled)
HOU Bio on 8/7, Int on 7/28
PHL FO, Bio on 8/8, Int on 9/11

Group 2; bio completed and awaiting IL

None

Group 3; waiting for bio and IL.

HOU bio and INT TBD
LAX bio and INT TBD
Heri2020, unknown FO, BIO and INT TBD

Quote Reply

Hi @Sm1smom I had my card mailed status change on August 20 and then on August 24 it says insufficient address and returned to sender. And on September 5 USPS updated tracking by saying return to sender processed. After long days in September 26, USPS updated the tracking by saying :
Delivered, To Original Sender
LEES SUMMIT, MO 64081
Your item has been delivered to the original sender at 11:27 am on September 26, 2020 in LEES SUMMIT, MO 64081.

And today USCIS updated my case saying " On September 26, the Post Office delivered your new card for Receipt Number **** to the address that you gave us The tracking number assigned is ******. You can use your tracking number at www.USPS.com in the Quick Tools Tracking section. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."

I will call to USCIS tomorrow but I'm not sure that what should I do in this case.

Please provide me any suggestions. I could not find anyone with similar cases to mine while doing research over google.

• Call USCIS first, to find out if they have any new update. Insist on speaking with a Tier 2 personnel, as the first line personnel sees exactly what you can see online yourself
  • Submit a Non-Delivery of Card E-Request
  • Based on the outcome of the above (if USCIS cannot confirm it was returned to them as undeliverable), you'll need to return to USPS and insist for evidence it was returned to sender as claimed by them.

Hey everyone,

It’s been a long while, but I wanted to give a final update on my case. Since my case was a roller coaster of stress and emotions, I was waiting until I get an actual letter from USCIS before writing any update.

My interview was on September 4th, and I wasn’t approved on the spot, which what I was hoping for. At the security check they didn’t have my name in the list and it got me suspicious and I stared think that they won’t let me in, but they let me in and asked to wait until they asked manager while I’m not in the list. The security guard said that they have lists prepared month upfront, so it might’ve been changed. After about 20 min of waiting my interviewer came out and called my name. My officer was a polite lady, but it was obvious that she knew what she was doing and what questions she needs to ask. She randomly went through my I-485 asking to verify some information. Then she went trough some yes or no questions. Didn’t really asked me for anything but my old passport and confirmation of school enrollment, I gave her my schedule of classes for fall semester. At the end she asked if I have anything to give her, I gave her another I-134 besides the one I had on file which was completed not my LPR. At the end she printed me out a paper saying my case being hold for review, she was saying something that she needs to verify every I-485 case after interview. I was polite waiting for her to finish her sentence before raising my concern of a deadline, and as soon as I took a breath to start talking she added that she’s aware of my deadline of September 30th and will give a decision as soon as possible. Exactly a week after interview my online status changed to interview has been completed and few days after it said that new card is being produced. On September 26th I got my green card in the mail, and I received a welcome letter the next day!!!
To be honest I think I’m still in shock and can’t believe that it’s all finally over...

Now most importantly, from the bottom of my heart I want to thank @Sm1smom for her priceless advices and all the time she is giving for the sake of other people starting their new life in the USA. I think most of us wouldn’t be able to finish this stressful journey without your help, so thank you @Sm1smom. Also thanks to @Britsimon for this forum and everyone else for their time, help and shared experiences.

P.S
Now funny part, yesterday I got a E-notification on my case and I went to check what’s there and it says “on September 22nd we scheduled your xxxxx receipt number I-485 adjustment of status for an interview”. I already have my green card in hands, are they already trying to take it away or what?
If anyone had similar experience please share what do I need to do. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

It’s been a long while, but I wanted to give a final update on my case. Since my case was a roller coaster of stress and emotions, I was waiting until a get an actual letter from USCIS before writing any update.

My interview was on September 4th, and I wasn’t approved on the spot, which I was hoping for. At the security check they didn’t have my name in the list which already got me suspicious, but they let me in and asked to wait until they asked manager while I’m not in the list. The security guard that they have lists prepared month upfront, so it might’ve been changed. After about 20 min my interviewer came out and called my name. My officer was a polite lady, but it was obvious that she knew what she was doing and what questions she needs to ask. She randomly went through my I-485 asking to verify some information. Then she went trough some yes or no questions. Didn’t really asked me for anything but my old passport and confirmation of school enrollment, I gave her my schedule of classes for fall semester. At the end she asked if I have anything to give her, I gave her another I-134. At the end she printed me out a paper saying my case being hold for review, she was saying something that she needs to verify every I-485 case after interview. I was polite waiting for her to finish her sentence before raising my concern of a deadline, and as soon as I took a breath to start talking she added that she’s aware of my deadline of September 30th and will give a decision as soon as possible. Exactly a week after interview my online status changed to interview has been completed and few days after it said that new card is being produced. On September 26th I got my green card in the mail, and I received a welcome letter the next day!!!
To be honest I think I’m still in shock and can’t believe that it’s all finally over...

Now most importantly, from the bottom of my heart I want to thank @Sm1smom for her priceless advices and all the time she is giving for the sake of other people starting their new life in the USA. I think most of us wouldn’t be able to finish this stressful journey without your help, so thank you @Sm1smom. Also thanks to @Britsimon for this forum and everyone else for their time, help and shared experiences.

P.S
Now funny part, yesterday I got a E-notification on my case and I went to check what’s there and it says “on September 22nd we scheduled your xxxxx receipt number I-485 adjustment of status for an interview”. I already have my green card in hands, are they already trying to take it away or what?
If anyone had similar experience please share what do I need to do. Thanks :)

Congratulations and thank you for your update.

Yes, some recently approved people, especially those who got approved without an interview have been reporting getting an IL or interview notifications of later (after receiving their GC). It most likely is a glitch in the system, but my recommendation is to still show for the new date with your GC on hand of course to let them know you've already been approved. Unless a cancellation notice shows up before the date, in which case you can safely ignore the new notice.

Congratulations and thank you for your update.

Yes, some recently approved people, especially those who got approved without an interview have been reporting getting an IL or interview notifications of later (after receiving their GC). It most likely is a glitch in the system, but my recommendation is to still show for the new date with your GC on hand of course to let them know you've already been approved. Unless a cancellation notice shows up before the date, in which case you can safely ignore the new notice.

You definitely need to inform your school now that you are a LPR, you don't want them to wrongly classify you as an international student.

Thank you @Sm1smom!!!

Although mom would be surprised but will be happy for me as well. I just checked my status new card been produced. I'll try to write my whole experience and what I learned about ppl in the same situation speaking to lawyers as well .

More like happy for you, (and not necessarily surprised). I'm always excited when an approval takes place for a member of this forum (and yes, I do remember your case very clearly), so congratulations :) . Looking forward to your update.

Hi Mom, Pending asylum cases not a problem if someone has applied to asylum during the lawful satus. If applied after any status expired then IO cant accept pending asylum status as a valid status. shortly: they dont accept if there is any lack between expiration date of lawful status and asylum application date. this is what io told me.

Hey @d.zel - wondering about your case. Any update? Have you received a final decision since your interview?

Also if anyone knows, do I need to inform my school about my status change to a LPR?

1. You need to submit a copy of your new Permanent Resident card to your one of your advisor at your school's international advising office. Contact them and they will tell you.
2. Also, if you have employment through school then you need to submit a new I-9 with your new LPR info. Contact your schools HR because I-9 is something you need to sign in person as they need to verify the permanent resident card.

I don't know if this will help to clarify the situation because like mom told me it's like rolling a dice . But I'll put what am sure of and what I learned from my own experience.
When I got selected i didn't think that pending asylum will be an issue but turns out you have to fit a criteria so you can adjust your status while pending asylum.
as we all know to go through AOS as DV lottery you have to be got selected , their is visa available for you at the time plus been admissible.
what i learned is if applied for asylum within one year from states entery was in a valid visa status which you didn't violate your visa category and was inspected and paroled in the border while entering the states. That all means you didn't accumulate any unlawful stay according to the exception in INA 212 under unlawful presence here in fact you are in a lawful stay which make you admissible to states under other categories like dv lottery or getting married if the officer reviewed your asylum case an determined it's not fraudulent.
With that been said that my knowledge that I gathered thro search speaking to a lawyer during my RFE which they asked for my school records to determined the time line about my entry and when I applied for asylum and if i did attended and finished my school while also I didn't break any law about my visa like worked while I was student without having any work permit.
I also spoke with cpl ppl personally went thro this which they didn't have a problem with this issue unfortunately one of them didn't get it for other reasons which is visa availability at the time.
My IO also made sure that is not a problem after he went thro the documents in this topic in fact I asked him what should I do if I got approved should I withdraw the other case he said that well it will be canceled automatically but it's not bad to do so as well but you have to wait until you get the card in hand . note he didn't approve my case at the moment because he was waiting for my asylum case..
I tried to make it short as possible i think it still kinda a gray area for mom ask me anything so if I forget something I might remember a point that is important.

Hello everyone, I am going to do a small update, any suggestion is welcome. My case is assigned to the Orlando Florida FO, on Wednesday September 22 I sent by express the proof of payment of the fees corresponding to DV2020 to the Orlando, Fl office which was received at 10:34 am on the 23rd of September. Since then I have been following up to obtain an interview but as of today, September 28, this test has not been processed or updated in the system. Both on Friday, September 25, and today, I have spoken with tier 2 officials to see if I could get them to process the requested test and assign me an interview, but despite these officials directing communications to the IO and the FO, nothing has changed. I already contacted my Congressman on Tuesday 22nd and they were going to contact FO but they have not yet given me more information. Tomorrow, September 29 I will play my last card trying an interview without an appointment (walk in) please put me in your prayers tonight. I hope to make it

Just completed my interview in San Jose, 2 days before the deadline. An officer was super nice and aware of the deadline. He also put a stamp with a re-entry permit so that I can travel outside of the USA for now. Super happy, thank you everyone for the active participation on this forum and especially Mom!

I don't know if this will help to clarify the situation because like mom told me it's like rolling a dice . But I'll put what am sure of and what I learned from my own experience.
When I got selected i didn't think that pending asylum will be an issue but turns out you have to fit a criteria so you can adjust your status while pending asylum.
as we all know to go through AOS as DV lottery you have to be got selected , their is visa available for you at the time plus been admissible.
what i learned is if applied for asylum within one year from states entery was in a valid visa status which you didn't violate your visa category and was inspected and paroled in the border while entering the states. That all means you didn't accumulate any unlawful stay according to the exception in INA 212 under unlawful presence here in fact you are in a lawful stay which make you admissible to states under other categories like dv lottery or getting married if the officer reviewed your asylum case an determined it's not fraudulent.
With that been said that my knowledge that I gathered thro search speaking to a lawyer during my RFE which they asked for my school records to determined the time line about my entry and when I applied for asylum and if i did attended and finished my school while also I didn't break any law about my visa like worked while I was student without having any work permit.
I also spoke with cpl ppl personally went thro this which they didn't have a problem with this issue unfortunately one of them didn't get it for other reasons which is visa availability at the time.
My IO also made sure that is not a problem after he went thro the documents in this topic in fact I asked him what should I do if I got approved should I withdraw the other case he said that well it will be canceled automatically but it's not bad to do so as well but you have to wait until you get the card in hand . note he didn't approve my case at the moment because he was waiting for my asylum case..
I tried to make it short as possible i think it still kinda a gray area for mom ask me anything so if I forget something I might remember a point that is important.

Thanks for the update, and congratulations again.

As for asylum pending being a "gray area" for me - :) - my conclusion is you are just one of the lucky few, to be approved with no other status outside of asylum pending. We've already come across others with similar situation, filed for asylum while still in valid status, whose DV based AOS subsequently got denied. So this is not a completely "gray area" for me. It is more or less a dice toss, like I wrote back in April

AOS 2019 Candidate - derivative asylum pending candidate, husband filed for asylum while still in a valid status - confirmation both husband and wife in valid status when they applied for asylum - Case denied

AOS 2019 Candidate (Case Denied) - confirmation OP was in a valid status when they applied for asylum

AOS 2019 Candidate -interview experience, OP filed for asylum while still in F1 (valid status), - Case denied -IO told them asylum pending is not a valid status (for a DV based AOS petition)

AOS 2019 2019 Candidate - filed for asylum 2 months prior to I-94 expiration (while still in a valid status), case approved

AOS 2018 Candidate - filed for asylum 2 months after arrival in the US (while still in a valid status), - case denied - IO told them asylum pending is not a valid status (for a DV based AOS petition)

I could go on and on and post many more asylum pending cases I've had experience with in this forum, so this is certainly not a gray area for me. Asylum pending is not a valid status to AOS from as a DV selectee that is a fact. Nonetheless, some have been fortunate to meet with IO's who loosely interpreted INA 212 and have succeeded like you have, at the same time several others haven't been so lucky.

Thanks for the update, and congratulations again.

As for asylum pending being a "gray area" for me - :) - my conclusion is you are just one of the lucky few, to be approved with no other status outside of asylum pending. We've already come across others with similar situation, filed for asylum while still in valid status, whose DV based AOS subsequently got denied. So this is not a completely "gray area" for me. It is more or less a dice toss, like I wrote back in April

AOS 2019 Candidate - derivative asylum pending candidate, husband filed for asylum while still in a valid status - confirmation both husband and wife in valid status when they applied for asylum - Case denied

AOS 2019 Candidate (Case Denied) - confirmation OP was in a valid status when they applied for asylum

AOS 2019 Candidate -interview experience, OP filed for asylum while still in F1 (valid status), - Case denied -IO told them asylum pending is not a valid status (for a DV based AOS petition)

AOS 2019 2019 Candidate - filed for asylum 2 months prior to I-94 expiration (while still in a valid status), case approved

AOS 2018 Candidate - filed for asylum 2 months after arrival in the US (while still in a valid status), - case denied - IO told them asylum pending is not a valid status (for a DV based AOS petition)

I could go on and on and post many more asylum pending cases I've had experience with in this forum, so this is certainly not a gray area for me. Asylum pending is not a valid status to AOS from as a DV selectee that is a fact. Nonetheless, some have been fortunate to meet with IO's who loosely interpreted INA 212 and have succeeded like you have, at the same time several others haven't been so lucky.
That what I felt too . From my search obviously even lawyers and attorneys have different opinion on this topic but it comes to fit what I said then up for the IO interpretation of the law at least that what I felt am no lawyer nor expert like you . But thought to update you cuz you deserve it all the work you do here .

That what I felt too . From my search obviously even lawyers and attorneys have different opinion on this topic but it comes to fit what I said then up for the IO interpretation of the law at least that what I felt am no lawyer nor expert like you . But thought to update you cuz you deserve it all the work you do here .

And that's why I did not out rightly discourage you back in April, when I told you it was a dice toss. Again, I appreciate the update. I just didn't agree with this part of your post: "i think it still kinda a gray area for mom"