• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi everyone.

My journey is coming to the end finally.
I have just got the notification from USCIS egov. Our cases were approved. Cards were ordered.
I still cannot believe it, because we have experienced several challenges at every single step.

Every time I encountered the issues, I asked questions to this forum and Mom/members responded back with valuable advice and encouragement.
I found several good applicants in this forum who are having same issue as me and who is from same country.
I exchanged the information and talked. The value of this forum is countless.

If we read the instructions in the spread sheet very carefully, all the information you need is described there.
The information on AOS related DV is well explained by far than experienced law firms or lawyers.

Only X factor is your FO. My FO is small and it has limited knowledge on DV cases, that's why the progress is slower than others.
In my case, I decided to hire lawyer who knows FO very well. He helped me a lot to do final push.
Also, the length of background check is unpredictable. I thought it should be done in a few days, but it took a month.

I am so happy, because I don't need to stand by before 8 am and no need to listen USCIS music anymore.
I will update the last minute group list for other members.

My timeline is as follows;

5/29 Sent AOS package overnight to Chicago lock box.
6/1 Fedex could not deliver the package due to the protest at Chicago downtown. Delivered on 6/2
6/15 Received the rejected document, due to unknown reasons. USCIS said old form and no signature used. (Not true)
6/18 Sent back to Lockbox overnight
6/21 Found the AOS package was about to be delivered to Minneapolis, due to Fedex's wrong zip code label.
6/22 Accepted at Chicago lockbox
7/7 NOA for AOS issued.
Late July Congressional Inquiry #1 for Biometric appointment and interview
8/13 Biometric appointment done with code#3. Original notice showed #2.
Late August Congressional Inquiry#2 for interview appointment. "The case is in background check. No timeline provided."
Early September CIS Ombudsman inquiry submitted for interview
9/18 Interview completed. FO didn't have KCC FILE.
9/23 Case approved.

Sincere congratulations to your family!! And big thank you for your support, I really appreciate that!

Hello Moms, hello everyone. a little update on my case. My fingerprints were taken without attending, since I had these data for three years from another case. Yesterday I called the KCC about the receipt of payment of the fees and they sent it to me by email and I sent it by express mail to FO, in turn they told me that they had already sent my file to the IO. on that side, the requested tests were fulfilled, although the status of my case is not yet updated. And today I spoke with a Level 2 Officer explaining that time is running out to receive an interview and he sent an urgent note with the comment, that note appears in my status as next steps. Hopefully, if required, they will schedule me an appointment on time. This raises a question for me ... has anyone here in the forum been approved without conducting an interview?

Mom do you think I should try walk in tomorrow if so what's proper way to do it and what I should bring in with me. My situation is waiting on a decision after completed everystep

You can if you like. There’s no prescribed method for attempting a walk-in. You just go and try your luck by describing why you’re there to the guards and see if they’ll let you in.

Hey guys, crazy news on my end... My follow to join worked out, and my wife has interview scheduled early next week. @Sm1smom you are the best!!! Who doesn't agree with that, I'm ready to meet face to face and have a conversation :cool: All the best to everyone!!!

This is awesome! So happy for you guys. After all is done, please write an update on your FTJ process for the sake of future folks who may be in a similar situation.

So, my Follow to Join journey. Sorry it will be long:

Some insights: I'm the principal applicant (winner of DV2020) and I was in the US when I learned about winning the lotter . Through some unfortunate events I got separated from my wife, she had to go back home. I was preparing myself to follow her and do the CP (the process is easier and shorter), but after covid and all these crazy things happened, I decided to proceed with AOS and for my wife with Follow to Join (she couldn't come back on her non immigrant visa with intention to immigrate, plus the immigration ban).

Unfortunately I got my interview too late (September 17th) plus during interview I realized that IO has very little experience with DV cases (e.g. she didn't know that she had to request my file from KCC). Because of that the decision on my case was postponed till September 22.

Now about the follow to join. We started to prepare for this process way earlier. I contacted embassy in the last week of August, gathering info about what they need and asked if it would be possible to schedule the interview... Sm1smom was the key in learning about the process, so whoever will be doing FTJ, please listen to her and follow step by step what she says. In addition to working with embassy, I scheduled an appointment for medical examination for my wife. In my home country it is just one accredited center and it is kind of monopoly. They refused to schedule appointment at first because she didn't have interview scheduled yet, so, in a such situations you must not take 'no' for an answer, fight for your chances, it is important. The fact that my wife has all the documents on hands, it helped to prove embassy that we are serious about it.

I also tried to file i-824 (form needed to show your intend for follow to join) during my interview, asking IO to accept it and once my case is approved to send it to the embassy as a proof of my change of status... She didn't accept it, and now I understand why... Normally by process FO doesn't have anything to do with follow to join. You have to file i-824, pay a fee for it and send to lockbox. From lockbox it goes to NVC were it takes 4-6 week (if not mistaken) to approve and the NVC sends information to the embassy (@Sm1smom pls correct me if I am mistaken). But, they (uscis) don't care that DV program has a hard deadline, so what I did, I contacted my congress office, my senator, talk to lawyers (total wast of time and money - useless consultation cost me $210, and they asked for $8,000 to take the case considering tight deadline). I also got in touch to Director of the Field Office (by email and mail set with FedEx overnight) who forwarded my email to IO and I started conversation with her. She insisted to file i-824 properly and pay the fee, what I did today. Though my embassy ask me for any proof or evidence that my status changed. I believe that even a simple note from my FO would work (through internal email)

I don't know what triggered the FTJ process, and who was the one who decided to help us, but obviously I did something right. @Sm1smom once again it wouldn't be possible without your guidance. Thank you.

Now fingers crossed everything goes well and my wife gets visa. Good luck everyone!!!

Last edited: