• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

Has anyone received an email that their interviews been cancelled I haven’t as yet but seen on Facebook just a bit devoed
Our interview has been cancelled.

Dear Visa Applicant,

Our office is reaching out to you to confirm that your appointment has been cancelled for *Day, date Month* 2020.

Information for visa applicants regarding novel coronavirus: As of March 18, 2020, the United States Consulates in Australia are reducing routine immigrant visa appointments. At this time your visa appointment is cancelled. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, please contact our office at support-australia@ustraveldocs.com.

Thank you,

Immigrant Visa Unit (AT)
U.S. Consulate General, *Location*

Anyone else caught in green card activation troubles? We had travel booked for April, but now there’s no way we’ll be able to go by then with the new Australian travel ban. Our visa expires in mid-June, so I’m hoping the travel ban is relaxed a little before then, but who knows.

I’m kinda at a loss as to what to do. It’s obviously unprecedented, at least in our lifetimes... I was planning to fly over to activate this weekend but that’s now not possible. Virgin aren’t even planning to start fly internationally until mid-June.

Spoke to an immigration lawyer who suggested the state department is likely to be flexible surrounding this.. I don’t really know. Thought about contacting the consulate but I imagine they’re inundated with far more immediately important issues at the moment...

Anyone else caught in green card activation troubles? We had travel booked for April, but now there’s no way we’ll be able to go by then with the new Australian travel ban. Our visa expires in mid-June, so I’m hoping the travel ban is relaxed a little before then, but who knows.

I’m kinda at a loss as to what to do. It’s obviously unprecedented, at least in our lifetimes... I was planning to fly over to activate this weekend but that’s now not possible. Virgin aren’t even planning to start fly internationally until mid-June.

Spoke to an immigration lawyer who suggested the state department is likely to be flexible surrounding this.. I don’t really know. Thought about contacting the consulate but I imagine they’re inundated with far more immediately important issues at the moment...

Your lawyer should have known about this (posted by the lawyer who hosts the site)

9 FAM 504.10-5(A) (U) Issuing Replacement Visa During Validity of Original Visa
a. (U) If you are satisfied that an applicant will be or was unable to use an immigrant visa (IV) during its validity period because of reasons beyond the applicant’s control and for which the applicant is not responsible then you may issue a replacement visa with the originally allocated visa number within the same fiscal year even though the visa has not yet expired. You should recall and cancel the originally-issued visa and collect once again the appropriate IV application processing fee (including the Diversity Visa Lottery Fee for a DV applicant), unless the applicant was unable to use the visa as a result of action by the U.S. Government over which the alien had no control and for which the alien was not responsible.

so once the embassy is back to normal, you should ask for a replacement visa you can use under this. Note that apart from paying the fee again, you will probably need to do the medical again for a new expiry date.

Last edited:

Currently discussing the issue with the wife now. We also had our trip booked for the start of April, so that's off the cards now.
I think you can still travel during the stage 4 restrictions, but it's at your own risk (no insurance) even if you can find a flight.

you should ask for a replacement visa you can use under this.
That’s good to know. Puts my mind at ease a little. I’m cautiously optimistic that with the right actions we could be through the peak of this before June, but who knows.

I think you can still travel during the stage 4 restrictions, but it's at your own risk (no insurance
Yeah, I don’t think it’s specifically against the law per se, but unless you can afford to charter a flight, I don’t know why an airline would bother staffing a commercial plane to fly out. I’m sure there’ll be a flurry of activity flying in over the next couple days, but I’m concerned even if I could get a flight out tomorrow that I wouldn’t be able to get back and would be stuck until potentially June or later in a country where I would have no job, no insurance etc.

And then there’s the whole directly defying a government order/recommendation which I don’t particularly want to do if I can avoid it.

You can always call them and ask? In saying that though, this is clearly beyond your control and they have discretionary powers to reissue visas so I'm sure you are all good.

My advice is to avoid travelling now, it is a bad idea. Really really bad idea in fact. I have a friend who is currently stuck in quarantine in Hungary for 14 days and he's not a happy camper.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s specifically against the law per se, but unless you can afford to charter a flight, I don’t know why an airline would bother staffing a commercial plane to fly out. I’m sure there’ll be a flurry of activity flying in over the next couple days, but I’m concerned even if I could get a flight out tomorrow that I wouldn’t be able to get back and would be stuck until potentially June or later in a country where I would have no job, no insurance etc.

And then there’s the whole directly defying a government order/recommendation which I don’t particularly want to do if I can avoid it.

There is no "ban". It is a Level 4 advisory. They cannot stop you leaving when you have a reason to travel, AND are not showing flu-like symptoms, AND have not been to one of the banned countries in the previous 14 days.

Virgin is cancelling international flights from the end of this month.
Qantas is still flying, with reduced/changed services, as of today.
Can't comment on other airlines.

Keep in mind that there are a large number of people who fly for non-tourist reasons, so there is still a demand for flights, albeit a reduced one.

There are a lot of incorrect rumours floating about in the media and online at the moment. Don't listen to them, but do your own research:
- Go to your airline's site and read their information.
- Go to the US DHS site and read their information on the travel restrictions, (there is currently nothing on the US CBP site and US ICS site).
- Go to the Aussie Smart Traveller site and read what the Level 4 advisory means.

If it was me travelling, I would still go. My wife flies in 8 days, and we are watching the flow of official information closely on a daily basis, and right now there is nothing stopping her flying.

There is no "ban". It is a Level 4 advisory. They cannot stop you leaving when you have a reason to travel, AND are not showing flu-like symptoms, AND have not been to one of the banned countries in the previous 14 days.
This is true they can't stop you. But it does state on the smart traveller website that if you get stuck the AUS Gov may not help out in getting you home.
Also no travel insurance will cover you if you get sick or quarantined in a country that is on the level 4 list.
We've reached out to the consulate via email and should hopefully get a response tomorrow/Friday.

Virgin is cancelling international flights from the end of this month.
Qantas is still flying, with reduced/changed services, as of today.
Can't comment on other airlines.

Keep in mind that there are a large number of people who fly for non-tourist reasons, so there is still a demand for flights, albeit a reduced one.

There are a lot of incorrect rumours floating about in the media and online at the moment. Don't listen to them, but do your own research:
- Go to your airline's site and read their information.
- Go to the US DHS site and read their information on the travel restrictions, (there is currently nothing on the US CBP site and US ICS site).
- Go to the Aussie Smart Traveller site and read what the Level 4 advisory means.

If it was me travelling, I would still go. My wife flies in 8 days, and we are watching the flow of official information closely on a daily basis, and right now there is nothing stopping her flying.
Hard to fly when airlines are cancelling flights

If it was me travelling, I would still go
My flight was booked with Virgin so there’s no chance of making that flight anyway.

Even if I were to rebook with another airline, I’m concerned about getting stuck and as per level 4 advisory, I’m not going to get any assistance from the government or anything on travel insurance.
Virgin were advertising flights last night that they subsequently announced this morning would be cancelled (I.e. everything from March 30-June 14), so I’m not confident that anything I booked wouldn’t subsequently be cancelled. And even if it weren’t cancelled due to low demand/capacity, there’s no guarantee that in three days everything doesn’t change again - the US may implement new travel bans, Australia may step up it’s response...

The level three advisory was only put in place Friday.

That’s what I mean when I say if I could afford to charter a flight I would have no issue in going. But unfortunately, I’m not a millionaire.

I’m hopeful that the level four advisory gets wound back a bit in 6-8 weeks and Qantas doesn’t go bankrupt...

Yup, flying out may be the easy part. Things are very fluid and the chances of getting stuck somewhere are pretty high. I would honestly only fly somewhere if I was elsewhere and it was “home” or - in the context of this forum - the final move to the US.

btw not sure/lost track of where y’all plan to fly to, but if it’s Europe, it’s not happening - The European Union just approved a 30-day ban on nonessential travel to at least 26 European countries from the rest of the world https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-travel-restrictions.html

I’m hopeful that the level four advisory gets wound back a bit in 6-8 weeks and Qantas doesn’t go bankrupt...
Fingers crossed Qantas stays afloat.
I think they've done the right thing and are allowing us to get a credit for our flights to use after this has all passed. At least this way they keep the money and can pay their staff.

T
Our interview has been cancelled.

Dear Visa Applicant,

Our office is reaching out to you to confirm that your appointment has been cancelled for *Day, date Month* 2020.

Information for visa applicants regarding novel coronavirus: As of March 18, 2020, the United States Consulates in Australia are reducing routine immigrant visa appointments. At this time your visa appointment is cancelled. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, please contact our office at support-australia@ustraveldocs.com.

Thank you,

Immigrant Visa Unit (AT)
U.S. Consulate General, *Location*
Thanks for the response I haven’t received that email yet mine is for April 28th so I’m assuming it will be cancelled as well

Fingers crossed Qantas stays afloat.
I think they've done the right thing and are allowing us to get a credit for our flights to use after this has all passed. At least this way they keep the money and can pay their staff.
I think they’ll stay afloat, depending how long this goes for.

Given they’ve now also cancelled international flights for end of March until end of May, there’s no possibility to travel until at least then anyway.

Hi all I just got email from Auckland embassy that they cancelling all interviews from tomorrow 20th March . Oh now what’s Gona happen?? My interview was just in 2 weeks time .

Hi all I just got email from Auckland embassy that they cancelling all interviews from tomorrow 20th March . Oh now what’s Gona happen?? My interview was just in 2 weeks time .
I feel for everyone who is in this situation, all I can is hang tight, they'll get you rescheduled when its safe and advisable to do so