Green card renewal minor over 14 years

petmnod

My daughter is now 15 years and I'm working on the I-90 form to renew her green card. Her card expires in less than 6 months which is before her 16th birthday. We did not file to renew when she turned 14.

My question is in I-90 Part 2.

What would be the filling reason? 2.f, 2.g1, or 2.j?

2.G.1 doesn't apply as the card expires before her 16th birthday.

These are the instructions:

Item Number 2.g.2. I have reached my 14th birthday and am registering as required. My existing card will expire BEFORE my 16th birthday. (NOTE: If you are filing this application before your 14th birthday, or more than 30 days after your 14th birthday, you must select reason “2.j.” However, if your card has expired, you must select reason “2.f.”) Select this reason if you have reached your 14th birthday, and your current card will expire before your 16th birthday. When using this reason, submit a copy of your current Permanent Resident Card. You must include the filing fee and biometric services fee with your application if filing using reason “2.g.2.” You may select this reason only if your current card was issued prior to your 14th birthday and you are now filing this application for registration purposes. Registration and fingerprinting are required within 30 days after a child reaches 14 years of age. After reaching 14 years of age, a lawful permanent resident must register and submit Form I-90.

Item Number 2.f. My existing card has already expired or will expire within six months. Select this reason if your card will expire in the next six months or if your card has already expired. If you use this reason, and your existing card will not expire within six months, your application may be denied.

Item Number 2.j. I have a prior edition of the Alien Registration Card, or I am applying to replace my current Permanent Resident Card for a reason that is not specified above.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the reply.
Why do you think it is not 2j?
I checked my daughter’s case, we also filed late for this, and chose 2j. However, her green card was not going to expire before 16, so I don't know if it’s directly comparable to your case.

Thank you for the reply. I have both situations with my kids. 2 of my children will be over 16 at expiration and 1 will be less than 16.
I assume your case will apply to the 2 that are over 16.
Was there any issue when you chose 2j? Was your card expiring in less than six months when you submitted the I90? Did you need to provide any more information etc?

Why did you use 2j and not 2f as the card is expiring in less than 6 months for everyone.?

Thank you for the reply. I have both situations with my kids. 2 of my children will be over 16 at expiration and 1 will be less than 16.
I assume your case will apply to the 2 that are over 16.
Was there any issue when you chose 2j? Was your card expiring in less than six months when you submitted the I90? Did you need to provide any more information etc?

Why did you use 2j and not 2f as the card is expiring in less than 6 months for everyone.?

You misunderstand, it was neither expiring in less than 6 months nor before she turned 16, we simply applied to fulfil the requirement of a new GC for a minor turning 14. However we had missed the requirement initially so were applying later than the 30 days.
There were no issues. She did biometrics and some months later they sent the green card.

Thanks. Understood.
In my case the cards are expiring in less than 6 months. Does the fact that we missed the 14 year renewal even apply in that case? i.e. should i be using 2f as my reason ignoring that they did not renew at 14?

2f states ..

2.f. My existing card has already expired or will expire within six months. Select this reason if your card will expire in the next six months or if your card has already expired. If you use this reason, and your existing card will not expire within six months, your application may be denied.

My daughter turned 14 years in 2016. First time her GC was renewed when she was 12 years old in 2014. We missed to register / renew her GC in 2016. However, her GC is valid till 2024 and we have traveled outside USA several times since 2016.

I came across this thread about registering / renewing GC at the age of 14 years. I am wondering whether we should renew now with the application reason as Option "2.j" or wait till 2024 and renew with the application reason as Option "2.f".

At present her age is 20 years.

Appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Appanna1

My daughter turned 14 years in 2016. First time her GC was renewed when she was 12 years old in 2014. We missed to register / renew her GC in 2016. However, her GC is valid till 2024 and we have traveled outside USA several times since 2016.

I came across this thread about registering / renewing GC at the age of 14 years. I am wondering whether we should renew now with the application reason as Option "2.j" or wait till 2024 and renew with the application reason as Option "2.f".

At present her age is 20 years.

Appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Appanna1
Is there any particular reason she doesn’t want to naturalize?

Thank you for the quick post.
India does not allow dual citizenship. Our only thinking is, if she becomes naturalized citizen now and in the future if she wants to renounce USC to get the Indian citizenship; we don't know what the process / procedure is and whether it is easy or not.

Members, please share your knowledge / understanding / your experience on this. This will be helpful to us. Thank you.

appanna1, did you find the answers? i have the same situation as you for my son, he is now 18 years old, GC expire 2025, we missed replace GC at his 14, so I rushed to filed a I90 recently with 2f, not sure what will be the result

@appanna1 - I have similar situation. My child will be turning 14 soon.
we have a travel plan to India the day after his 14th Birthday (Birthday May 20th, Travel Date May 22nd) .
Can I apply for GC renewal once we are back from India (i.e July 20th) ? it seems there is a fee for I-90 $455 if we apply after 30 days.

My GC is valid until 2030, will it be any issue if my child travels without GC renewal?

Did you face any issue when you travel outside US without GC renewal for your child ?
Please advise

No, my son did not travel after 14th, this is just my case, also during covid, but heard other people traveling without GC renewal after 14th.

@appanna1 - I have similar situation. My child will be turning 14 soon.
we have a travel plan to India the day after his 14th Birthday (Birthday May 20th, Travel Date May 22nd) .
Can I apply for GC renewal once we are back from India (i.e July 20th) ? it seems there is a fee for I-90 $455 if we apply after 30 days.

My GC is valid until 2030, will it be any issue if my child travels without GC renewal?

Did you face any issue when you travel outside US without GC renewal for your child ?
Please advise
Hi, did you apply for your child's GC renewal before 14th and how much time did it take to get the replacement card. I am in a similar boat now. Thanks.

appanna1, did you find the answers? i have the same situation as you for my son, he is now 18 years old, GC expire 2025, we missed replace GC at his 14, so I rushed to filed a I90 recently with 2f, not sure what will be the result
Hi,
I have a similar question, my son is now 16 years old and GC will expire on 2028, and he also missed the GC renewal at 14. Is reason 2f works?