• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Public Charge Rule Goes Into Effect

Airspray

Hi everyone,

Somehow it's gone unnoticed here in the forum, but something potentially very critical happened a few days ago - the supreme court approved this new rule and it's now in effect.
I've read many articles about it but I still don't fully understand its implementation and meaning for DV winners. Most of the articles mention it's mostly about using public benefits but unless you're someone who's applying for AOS, we obviously did not use those benefits. Nor have we filed tax returns, have professional licences (ie. physician license) or have job offers. I'm quite confused at what exactly is now different for us. Do we ALL now need this DS-5540 or is it only requested on those instances where the I-134 is requested? Can this rule be challenged and potentially blocked once again even though it's the supreme court who approved it?

Would appreciate your 2 cents.

It's not just about using public benefits. It also considers age (below 18 or above 61 is a negative factor), health, education and skills (including English proficiency), household income (should be over 125% of poverty level), credit report and credit score, etc. I am not sure how much impact these things will have for the typical DV applicant. The DS-5540 form for immigrant visa seems to ask less stuff than the I-944 form for AOS.

Hi everyone,

Somehow it's gone unnoticed here in the forum, but something potentially very critical happened a few days ago - the supreme court approved this new rule and it's now in effect.
I've read many articles about it but I still don't fully understand its implementation and meaning for DV winners. Most of the articles mention it's mostly about using public benefits but unless you're someone who's applying for AOS, we obviously did not use those benefits. Nor have we filed tax returns, have professional licences (ie. physician license) or have job offers. I'm quite confused at what exactly is now different for us. Do we ALL now need this DS-5540 or is it only requested on those instances where the I-134 is requested? Can this rule be challenged and potentially blocked once again even though it's the supreme court who approved it?

Would appreciate your 2 cents.

Gone unnoticed??? LOL. It was noticed - but you didn't notice it being noticed..

I have posted several videos and articles about this. I just posted a video about completing a the new form and will shortly post about the impacts and how the new form will be used.

Gone unnoticed??? LOL. It was noticed - but you didn't notice it being noticed..

I have posted several videos and articles about this. I just posted a video about completing a the new form and will shortly post about the impacts and how the new form will be used.
Huh? Where was there ever a post about this last change? I know about the whole 'public charge' craze in general, just not this last update... I follow this forum as well as your blog and youtube channel religiously and didn't see any mention of it other than the video of how to fill the form (which came to me out of nowhere as I had no idea this form is now a thing)

Waiting for your coming vid.

Huh? Where was there ever a post about this last change? I know about the whole 'public charge' craze in general, just not this last update... I follow this forum as well as your blog and youtube channel religiously and didn't see any mention of it other than the video of how to fill the form (which came to me out of nowhere as I had no idea this form is now a thing)

Waiting for your coming vid.
It has been talked about quite a lot, if you do a simple search on this page with the words "public charge" you will see numerous pages on this topic.
Granted some of the older stuff relates to the general public charge for DV applicants but a majority of the first couple of pages are discussions on the AOS thread that specifically relate to this new rule

It has been talked about quite a lot, if you do a simple search on this page with the words "public charge" you will see numerous pages on this topic.
Granted some of the older stuff relates to the general public charge for DV applicants but a majority of the first couple of pages are discussions on the AOS thread that specifically relate to this new rule
I admit I don't really follow the AOS thread, but I see those now. In any case, I still don't quite understand the impacts on DV applicants, waiting for Simon's post on that subject...