• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

And here is another question:
I meet the requirement of self sufficiency, but because I had the tax treated, if I report in the form my W2 informations, look like that I didn't earn anything in the past 2 years.
Instead, can I just write the information of one of my dependents along with both of our employee letter? (that meet the requirement)

Not sure you can do that. Did your dependent claim you as a dependent on their US tax filings? If the answer is no, then you obviously can list/claim the dependent’s income on your self sufficiency form.

Two questions regarding form I-485:
1- If a question does not apply to me should I leave it blank or type "N/A"?
2- Can I have a combination of printed and written in ink items in the form?

Not sure you can do that. Did your dependent claim you as a dependent on their US tax filings? If the answer is no, then you obviously can list/claim the dependent’s income on your self sufficiency form.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Sorry my mistake!
I didn't mean dependent, I meant derivate, my wife.

We filed the tax together, married jointly, so I would like to use just her W2/2018 and her W2/2019 in the I944 form questions, to show that we meet the requirement of self sufficiency. But at the same time, to send in the documents package my W2, my tax treaty form, and my employee letter.
(But in this case I don't know I have to send my w2 and my tax treaty too)
Does this make sense?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Sorry my mistake!
I didn't mean dependent, I meant derivate, my wife.

We filed the tax together, married jointly, so I would like to use just her W2/2018 and her W2/2019 in the I944 form questions, to show that we meet the requirement of self sufficiency. But at the same time, to send in the documents package my W2, my tax treaty form, and my employee letter.
(But in this case I don't know I have to send my w2 and my tax treaty too)
Does this make sense?

Yes you’ll need to include your wife’s documents (in support of whatever you list on the I-944) in addition to yours in this case

HI mom,
If I'm not mistaken, we have to send single sided supporting documents in AOS package but my English translations of BC, high school diploma and marriage certificate are two sided documents. Since we have to send the original translation documents,is it okay to send two sided translations?

Two questions regarding form I-485:
1- If a question does not apply to me should I leave it blank or type "N/A"?
2- Can I have a combination of printed and written in ink items in the form?

1. Instructions says to not leave sections blank, and to type in “N/A” or “None” as applicable.

2. Sticking to one form is preferable. Small exception is okay - you’ll need to use your discretion here.

HI mom,
If I'm not mistaken, we have to send single sided supporting documents in AOS package but my English translations of BC, high school diploma and marriage certificate are two sided documents. Since we have to send the original translation documents,is it okay to send two sided translations?

Yes it’s okay.

three question:

1. I had two traffic tickets back in 2009(speeding) and 2013 (stop sign violation). Both paid and also not on record as I paid within time and didnt had any more tickets afterwards. I have the hard copy prints of the traffic tickets. Do I need to include them with AOS package and state them on I-485? or just take them with me for interview? They were not court citations.

The public charge rule: I have gone over the I-944 form and I have never used any public assistance and do meet the requirement of the self-sufficiency but as I am applying for my wife and myself (she is derivative) hence:

2. Would her savings and my savings from our home country be shown as additional proof of asset?
3. She is on F2 so she doesn't have any US tax records as she didnt work. So, her AOS package would not require tax documents?
4. I am planning to show my salary+$30,000 in saving for both of us. The poverty guideline shows for 2 people ($18000) and we have to show 250% times that, roughly $42,000. Is there way I can estimate this better?

Thanks in advance

three question:

4. I am planning to show my salary+$30,000 in saving for both of us. The poverty guideline shows for 2 people ($18000) and we have to show 250% times that, roughly $42,000. Is there way I can estimate this better?
If I understand correctly (from the form I-944), your household income should be 125% of FPG (they have provided a link on I-944 instruction, so you can get a better estimate). But, from the final rule of public charge, not having income, assets, sponsor, etc above 250% of FPG is heavily weighted negative factor against you (to be a public charge in future). But there are other factors also before they decide if you become a public charge. May be mom has better answer than this.

Hi. I would love some advice. I am applying for AOS from E3 to DV. My E3 expires in October, after the Sept 30 cut off. But I was advised to fill out the I-765 for the work permit. I just don't know what to put for 2 questions:
Question 1- I am Applying for.... A or C? Since I have permission for employment through my E3 visa?
Question 27. Eligibility Category. I couldn’t find a relevant category for my situation.

I guess it's very unique to be going from E3 to DV this way, so it's really hard to find advise online. Can anyone help??

three question:

1. I had two traffic tickets back in 2009(speeding) and 2013 (stop sign violation). Both paid and also not on record as I paid within time and didnt had any more tickets afterwards. I have the hard copy prints of the traffic tickets. Do I need to include them with AOS package and state them on I-485? or just take them with me for interview? They were not court citations.

The public charge rule: I have gone over the I-944 form and I have never used any public assistance and do meet the requirement of the self-sufficiency but as I am applying for my wife and myself (she is derivative) hence:

2. Would her savings and my savings from our home country be shown as additional proof of asset?
3. She is on F2 so she doesn't have any US tax records as she didnt work. So, her AOS package would not require tax documents?

Thanks in advance

Other than receiving public benefits how can you say that you meet self-sufficiency requirements? There has not been any published official data in this regard so far.

@RahulSingh1 , yes I agree with you. But as no interviews will be scheduled anytime soon for those who fall under this rule (after 24 Feb) so trying to better estimate and that is why asking on this forum. Because I went through the I944 form and its instruction. Almost all the sections my answers are showing good standing. For example:

1. I have never used public benefits.
2. I have excellent credit score and history.
3. Have good liquid asset to support family.
4. My brokerage assets as I can show as would show around 90K.
5. Both me and wife have health insurance and no pre-conditions that required any assistance.
6. My income tax already shows above 125% for family of 2 based on federal poverty guideline (this I am still a bit confused, for family of 2 it would be around $22K)
7. My wife's real estate (home) in her home country is also part of her assets.
8. I also have CFA license (don't know why they ask for it).
9. No debt or liabilities.
10. At first I thought I would need to show affidavit of support but after someone clarified that I can show other assets and income (not only salary) and how the FPGL works then I think its not required.

still not sure exactly what would be ideal, so any advice is welcome.

Last edited:
Hi Mom,

Hi Mom,

I have another question.
I was reading the USCIS policy Memo, it is written:
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 2.26.31 PM.png

And what I understand is that, please tell me if I am in wrong, when the March bulletin is released, the April numbers can start to send the documents. (right?)
So my question is: why are they rejecting the documents, if it is written in their own policy that it is possible to do it?
Thanks in advance for your help to understand.

Hi Mom,
according to i-944 instructions, for part 4 (education skills):
"Foreign education should include an evaluation of equivalency to education or degrees acquired at accredited colleges, universities, or educational institutions in the United States."
I am a PHD student here in US that means my previous degrees were already accepted by an accredited university. Does a letter from my university suffice for my previous (M.S. and B.S.) degrees, or I have to go through NACES?

Hi,
I am a DV2020 selecte. I had my interview scheduled a couple of days before. I submitted everything right. I also submitted DS260 and received LN1 and LN2 letters from kcc. I also paid the $330 DV fee and receive the receipt.

At my interview appointment the officer told me that they have not received all of my file. They had my I-485 forum with all the paper works I submitted to Chicago Lockbox. The officer said they have not received my file from KCC and they have to rescheduled my interview. They will send me a new interview letter when they receive my KCC file.
I asked them if it’s possible to interview me on that day and wait for KCC to send them my file, the officer said no and I have to wait.

My question is that what should I do now?
Should I mail/call KCC and let them know what happened?
Has anyone heard about the same situation?
Any advice or experience help me a lot.

Thank you very much.

three question:

Thanks in advance

1. You don’t need to include them in your AOS package. You however should take them to your interview and present the documents if asked.

2. Meeting the self sufficiency requirements means both you and your wife meet that together. Your ability to meet that will be assessed as a family, not as an individual. So I’m not quite sure what you mean by you meet the requirements but your wife doesn’t.
Foreign assets may be used, just make sure you follow the instructions regarding use of assets:
“List only the assets that can be converted into cash within 12 months. Provide the value of any asset held in the United States or outside the United States, in U.S. dollars.
If you or a household member owns a home, you may include the net value of your or the household member’s home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home, minus the sum of all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include the net value of your or your household member’s home, then you must include documentation demonstrating that you or the household member owns it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home.
You may not include the net value of an automobile unless you or your household member shows that you or your household member have/has more than one automobile, and at least one automobile is not included as an asset.
If you list assets or resources, submit evidence of the value of your or your household member(s)’s assets. You must include the name of the asset holder, a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis for the owner’s claim of its net cash value.”
Read more from the Self Sufficiency Form Instructions

3. Your tax filings will be used for her package - I’m assuming you’ve been filing your taxes as married, even if there’s no income for your wife to report.

4. Demonstrated required income should be at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines

Hi. I would love some advice. I am applying for AOS from E3 to DV. My E3 expires in October, after the Sept 30 cut off. But I was advised to fill out the I-765 for the work permit. I just don't know what to put for 2 questions:
Question 1- I am Applying for.... A or C? Since I have permission for employment through my E3 visa?
Question 27. Eligibility Category. I couldn’t find a relevant category for my situation.

I guess it's very unique to be going from E3 to DV this way, so it's really hard to find advise online. Can anyone help??

1. A - you’re applying for a new EAD card which is DV AOS based - which has nothing to do with your current E3 visa.
2. C9.

Your situation is not quite unique. And we’ve had several selectees in the past who went from E3 to DV based GC.

Hi Mom,

Hi Mom,

I have another question.
I was reading the USCIS policy Memo, it is written:
View attachment 1481

And what I understand is that, please tell me if I am in wrong, when the March bulletin is released, the April numbers can start to send the documents. (right?)
So my question is: why are they rejecting the documents, if it is written in their own policy that it is possible to do it?
Thanks in advance for your help to understand.

1.Yes, one may possibly do so.

2. Because the memo is simply a guide, not some law that must be adhered to.

Hi Mom,
according to i-944 instructions, for part 4 (education skills):
"Foreign education should include an evaluation of equivalency to education or degrees acquired at accredited colleges, universities, or educational institutions in the United States."
I am a PHD student here in US that means my previous degrees were already accepted by an accredited university. Does a letter from my university suffice for my previous (M.S. and B.S.) degrees, or I have to go through NACES?

This is a new process, so I don’t know how strict or how loosely they will interpret that - you’ll have to use your discretion on how to proceed with this.