Solo traveler and VWP

Hello,

For young people travelling solo to the US:

Have you ever had a problem travelling solo there when being questioned by a cbp officer?

The ESTA has an employment question and I'm a student, so unemployed. Would that be a problem?

Did you get sent to secondary inspection for being a student and/or unemployed?

Hello,

For young people travelling solo to the US:

Have you ever had a problem travelling solo there when being questioned by a cbp officer?

The ESTA has an employment question and I'm a student, so unemployed. Would that be a problem?

Did you get sent to secondary inspection for being a student and/or unemployed?

Assuming you have an esta already
You will have to have a return ticket leaving within 90 days
If you are worried about secondary (yes it can and does happen to young single people traveling on esta) make sure you have sufficient proof to show you will be returning home on time

Assuming you have an esta already
You will have to have a return ticket leaving within 90 days
If you are worried about secondary (yes it can and does happen to young single people traveling on esta) make sure you have sufficient proof to show you will be returning home on time
I travel solo everywhere and never had an issue but that will be my first time in the US. Anyway I'll have enough funds to cover my trip and the return ticket.

I travel solo everywhere and never had an issue but that will be my first time in the US. Anyway I'll have enough funds to cover my trip and the return ticket.

Just to confirm you understand it correctly - you need to actually have the return ticket when you enter, not just the funds to buy one. Not sure from what you said above that that is clear.

Just to confirm you understand it correctly - you need to actually have the return ticket when you enter, not just the funds to buy one. Not sure from what you said above that that is clear.
I'm not that dumb lol. I knew that before. I'll only stay a week. Even with the return ticket I expect issues.

I'm not that dumb lol. I knew that before. I'll only stay a week. Even with the return ticket I expect issues.

Well, excuse me for trying to help, given both that your wording was unclear and that apparently “dumb” VWP people have overlooked this before and been refused entry. Good luck with your journey.

Well, excuse me for trying to help, given both that your wording was unclear and that apparently “dumb” VWP people have overlooked this before and been refused entry. Good luck with your journey.
Girl calm down. I said lol so i was joking for Christ's sake. I know people have been denied entry before but I've never been in a country without a return ticket. I never referred to anyone been dumb, I said it as a joke so if my wording was unclear you should have asked what i meant instead of assuming stuff.

Girl calm down. I said lol so i was joking for Christ's sake. I know people have been denied entry before but I've never been in a country without a return ticket. I never referred to anyone been dumb, I said it as a joke so if my wording was unclear you should have asked what i meant instead of assuming stuff.

I did ask for clarity, and you replied rudely, and now you are using language that will offend some people here. Done here.

Nobody can tell what you'll encounter, but if you're clearly a genuine visitor with strong ties to your country of residence (school enrollment documents, sufficient funds, no CVs in your suitcase, no text messaged with a recruiter about looking for work, etc.), your chances of a smooth visit are high. If your passport is full of stamps from 'friendly' countries, even better. You don't have any run-ins with the law, do you?

Anyway, good luck.

Nobody can tell what you'll encounter, but if you're clearly a genuine visitor with strong ties to your country of residence (school enrollment documents, sufficient funds, no CVs in your suitcase, no text messaged with a recruiter about looking for work, etc.), your chances of a smooth visit are high. If your passport is full of stamps from 'friendly' countries, even better. You don't have any run-ins with the law, do you?

Anyway, good luck.
No, I have a clean criminal record. I don't have stamps from any country as far as I can see on my passport because I only travelled in the EU.

I study online through distance learning with a UK University but I live in another EU country. I have enrollment documents I'll bring but since it's an online degree I don't think it's gonna help much.

I participated in the DV lottery so that worries me.

I'll have a return ticket, travel insurance, cash and money on my credit card.

Last edited: