Got Citizenship via Asylum, Pakistani passport expired, trying to bring Iranian girlfriend here

kamal-31

Registered Users (C)
I got my US Citizenship with Asylum from Pakistan 8 years ago. I have a girlfriend from Iran and we've been in a relationship for one and a half years. The US government's current Travel ban prevents her from joining me here in the US and this is causing us a lot of hardship. I'm considering helping her get Pakistani citizenship by marrying her there and then I would be able to sponsor her as my fiancee in the US. I found out from multiple sources that it is not possible to revoke my US citizenship as long as my asylum application was truthful which it was. If I have to, I can travel to Pakistan, get their national ID card or renew my expired Pakistani passport if thats what I need to do in order to bring her here.
The Pakistani passport renewal website asks if I applied for asylum abroad. Does anyone know how this affects the passport renewal? I doubt that they could know that I was an asylee anyway so I could possibly answer 'no' to that question. After advice from my asylum lawyer, I went back there once for an emergency and I used my US passport with a Pakistani visit visa.

Does anyone have any advice for my situation?

I wasn't sure if I should post in the Pakistani forum but it doesn't get much traffic and this isnt about necessary visiting or moving there so I thought I'll post here.

It depends about your country. My country is Iran and I see asylee go back to the country after they get their citizenship and the country doesn't do anything to them unless they were politically active outside of Iran against government.
I am not sure if your government intelligence know you have applied for asylum from other way.
So it may not be a good idea to lie in case they already know your asylum case from other resources.
By the way, I know some other cases that because of travel ban husband or wife sued Trump administration and they finally get their partner visa after suing the government.
You may look into that method as well.
You should Google about yamanian family that sue government or iranian.
This is happening now and it's all over the news.

Does anyone have any advice for my situation?

Two major issues:
Once you marry, you cannot petition her as a fiance. She would be your wife/spouse, and ought to be sponsored as such. Do you know the difference between fiance and spouse?
If you got asylum (and assuming you did based on a claim of genuine persecution in Pakistan and not a misrepresentation to obtain a US immigration benefit) you have to say "yes" to the asylum question. The pakistan government assumes you'd be truthful with them and are obtaining a passport only if they allow dual citizenship.

PS: We assume you didn't marry your childhood friend's sister ten years ago.

Two major issues:
Once you marry, you cannot petition her as a fiance. She would be your wife/spouse, and ought to be sponsored as such. Do you know the difference between fiance and spouse?
If you got asylum (and assuming you did based on a claim of genuine persecution in Pakistan and not a misrepresentation to obtain a US immigration benefit) you have to say "yes" to the asylum question. The pakistan government assumes you'd be truthful with them and are obtaining a passport only if they allow dual citizenship.

PS: We assume you didn't marry your childhood friend's sister ten years ago.
Yes that didnt happen. This would be my first marriage if the visa stuff works out.
Well, I didnt think about the fiancee and wife issue that you brought up. Yes I'm aware that the spouse option takes longer than the fiancee.
So yes that could be an issue. I wonder how long its taking nowadays for the spouse process.

Oh yes my asylum application was 100% truthful and completely referenced with tonnes of documentation which I still have access to. And that is the only thing that matters with regards to the validity of asylum: If the application was truthful or fraudulent in some way, as submitted, which it wasnt to any extent at all.
I doubt the Pakistani and US government share information like this (as to whether a person claimed asylum or not) but I don't know much about that. And yes Pakistan and USA have a dual citizenship agreement.
I'm thinking the correct next step would be to find out from the Pakistani govt how the answer to that asylum question makes a difference. So I'll try to find out.

At the end of the day, these governments are making things difficult for me and my girlfriend to be together and they're making innocent people suffer (there are many lawsuits regarding the Travel ban). It is unfair and I am trying to find a way out of this and I'm considering my options.

tinaina:
It depends about your country. My country is Iran and I see asylee go back to the country after they get their citizenship and the country doesn't do anything to them unless they were politically active outside of Iran against government.
I am not sure if your government intelligence know you have applied for asylum from other way.
So it may not be a good idea to lie in case they already know your asylum case from other resources.
By the way, I know some other cases that because of travel ban husband or wife sued Trump administration and they finally get their partner visa after suing the government.
You may look into that method as well.
You should Google about yamanian family that sue government or iranian.
This is happening now and it's all over the news.
Yes I'm aware of that lawsuit for Yemeni families. I believe most of the people involved have been in the waiver process for 100's of days (600 in one case). This means they already have official family ties such as immediate family or spouse since that time. I dont have official ties yet. I dont want to jump into something without making sure its the best option.
I'm trying to find a way that works the fastest. I dont want to be stuck in the system for a year and a half etc.
I'm also considering moving to Canada.
Its a huge problem, all of this.

Honestly, if you can move to Canada that’s probably going to be the best option if your goal is to get your girlfriend to North America to marry/live with you. No travel ban issues, obviously doesn’t solve the issue of you as a successful asylum adjustee wanting to return to original COP.

Odd for an asylee to be seeking a benefit from a COP that allegedly persecutes.
The way you look at the asylum situation is very black and white. There are a lot of grey area that can be considered.
What if his asylum was based on his beliefes that would be condemn in his country but not his political views.
What if he didn't apply asylum based on prsecution by government but by the social surrending specially if this is a religious asylum.
You must be more knowledgeable about each person asylum case before starting making judgment.

Honestly, if you can move to Canada that’s probably going to be the best option if your goal is to get your girlfriend to North America to marry/live with you. No travel ban issues, obviously doesn’t solve the issue of you as a successful asylum adjustee wanting to return to original COP.
This is hard for a lot of us citizen.
I know personally people who are affecting by travel ban and the us citizen has life in USA , insurance, house, benefits, and thinking about immigrating to another country (if it's possible) and start from zero just because their SO are ftom a country that is under travel ban is hard for them.
I still think suing government for what they do to the people is a better solution.
I would have done it if i was affecting with this ban (which i am). But I can't since my family are not under immigration visa and they are non immigrants however, someone should put these unfair and unjustified system on their place.
I have heard one of people who sued Trump administration has got his husband visa after 4 and half years this morning.
They are scared of getting target for what they are doing and standing against them is working.
Here is hoping that all of these unjustified doing ends in 2020.

Last edited:
The way you look at the asylum situation is very black and white. There are a lot of grey area that can be considered.
What if his asylum was based on his beliefes that would be condemn in his country but not his political views.
What if he didn't apply asylum based on prsecution by government but by the social surrending specially if this is a religious asylum.
You must be more knowledgeable about each person asylum case before starting making judgment.

OP sought political asylum.

No judgments here, responses are based on posts by OP.

Last edited:
This is hard for a lot of us citizen.
I know personally people who are affecting by travel ban and the us citizen has life in USA , insurance, house, benefits, and thinking about immigrating to another country (if it's possible) and start from zero just because their SO are ftom a country that is under travel ban is hard for them.
I still think suing government for what they do to the people is a better solution.
I would have done it if i was affecting with this ban (which i am). But I can't since my family are not under immigration visa and they are non immigrants however, someone should put these unfair and unjustified system on their place.
I have heard one of people who sued Trump administration has got his husband visa after 4 and half years this morning.
They are scared of getting target for what they are doing and standing against them is working.
Here is hoping that all of these unjustified doing ends in 2020.

I agree the travel ban is unjust and i sympathize, but at the same time, no one has a right to immigrate to any country. Each country decides for itself under what terms people may immigrate. For the poster in question, who is lucky in that he clearly has the option of moving to Canada, which many people don’t, it is likely to be both a faster and easier way to get his wife to live with him than suing the government over a travel ban which don’t forget is now, in the current version, upheld by the Supreme Court.

By the way whatever you are talking about in the second half of your post makes no sense if it took 4 and a half years, because neither trump nor the travel ban were around 4 1/2 years ago. So whatever this case is about, it is not related to that, and it is misleading to suggest that you can sue the travel ban away because of that case. It would be useful if you could find out the actual facts and let us know, could still be helpful to people.

I agree the travel ban is unjust and i sympathize, but at the same time, no one has a right to immigrate to any country. Each country decides for itself under what terms people may immigrate. For the poster in question, who is lucky in that he clearly has the option of moving to Canada, which many people don’t, it is likely to be both a faster and easier way to get his wife to live with him than suing the government over a travel ban which don’t forget is now, in the current version, upheld by the Supreme Court.

By the way whatever you are talking about in the second half of your post makes no sense if it took 4 and a half years, because neither trump nor the travel ban were around 4 1/2 years ago. So whatever this is, is not related to that.
Iranian citizen are going under a hard and long administration process in order to get visa and some has Benn more than two years and when it was done they fall under travel ban so they couldn't get their visa yet.
It was related to the travel ban and iranian citizenship.

By the way does your friend know you are posting her personal information, name etc, here when it looks like what she posted above was intended for friends only?

By the way does your friend know you are posting her personal information, name etc, here when it looks like what she posted above was intended for friends only?
It is from a public group on Facebook.
As long as you have Facebook you can see her post in a very crowded group. Certainly if she was worried about her personal information she wouldn't post on a public group.

No, it wasn’t, at least not 4 1/2 years ago.
She had to wait for 2/5 years for her husband AP to be clear and then travel ban happened and she had to wait another two years because of travel ban didn't let her husband to come to USA. Not sure why this is hard to understand.

@SusieQQQ
Maybe this post helps you accept my example was indeed a travel ban tragedy not something else.
This just looks like a classic case where they could not prove a bona fide fiancé relationship, got refused, then got married, built up better evidence of a relationship and tried again. No? Certainly nothing to do with trump or the ban.

Screenshot_20190805-134439__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190805-125819~3__01__01.jpg
Screenshot_20190805-125839~2__01.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190805-134439__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190805-134439__01.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20190805-125819~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20190805-125819~2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20190805-125819~3__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190805-125819~3__01.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20190805-125819~3__01__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190805-125819~3__01__01.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
@tinaina
Please watch your language and stop using the “F” word whenever you decide to delete your posts.
Sorry about that. I didn't think someone actually read deleted posts. O do like to delete one post here though. The first post with pictures that names are public.