• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

No, I am studying at UL Lafayette.
I am wondering if you are from Nepal?
I saw your post about New Orleans being the nearest FO, so I thought you are from LSU. Anyway one of my friend from LSU did the interview in New Orleans (in 2015), he told me they are aware of the situation and didn't have any troubles.
No, I'm not from Nepal

I saw your post about New Orleans being the nearest FO, so I thought you are from LSU. Anyway one of my friend from LSU did the interview in New Orleans (in 2015), he told me they are aware of the situation and didn't have any troubles.
No, I'm not from Nepal

Oh, thank you for letting me know. Lafayette is actually in the State of Louisiana and New Orleans' FO is the nearest field office to me.
Do you know how long did it take your friend's application to be processed?

Oh, thank you for letting me know. Lafayette is actually in the State of Louisiana and New Orleans' FO is the nearest field office to me.
Do you know how long did it take your friend's application to be processed?
He didn't tell me the timeline but I'll ask him and let you know.

Hi mom and everyone. I am from Hong Kong and this is my fifth time of entering the DV lottery and I finally got selected. My CN is AS000225xx which is kind of sky high. I am currently on F-1 status, expected to graduate next August or take a few more classes to remain my status. I looked up the historical VB and apparently it ended up current for all Asia CN in the past four year, so I really hope we, high CN folks will get a chance. I am planning to go with AOS route since it may make more sense to do it in the state instead of traveling back and forth if unnecessary. My closest FO is in Portland, OR, just curious if here's anyone had experience in this specific location before?

Here are my questions:
1. I understand CURRENT on VB means any CN is now available to move on but do they still process cases based on the CN or it becomes first come first serve? since everyone who has high CN is sending their petition pretty much at the same time.
2. With my CN, what is a good time frame to submit my DS-260 to inform them I am going with AOS?
3. Does the entire AP have to be done within the FY or do I just have to file my AOS petition and get approved before October and the rest of the process (interview, biometric, etc.) can be done over the FY? In my case, my CN will most likely become current at the end of the FY like July or August. If I file my AOS petition in July and if it really happens to take 4 months, does it mean I am already disqualified due to the FY is over? Then would the CP route go faster at that point? (I know this is a very confusing one but I saw the spreadsheet says interview may be 1 to 4 month from when my CN becomes current, just wanna make sure)

Thanks a lot for running this forum! This is really helpful!

Hi mom and everyone. I am from Hong Kong and this is my fifth time of entering the DV lottery and I finally got selected. My CN is AS000225xx which is kind of sky high. I am currently on F-1 status, expected to graduate next August or take a few more classes to remain my status. I looked up the historical VB and apparently it ended up current for all Asia CN in the past four year, so I really hope we, high CN folks will get a chance. I am planning to go with AOS route since it may make more sense to do it in the state instead of traveling back and forth if unnecessary. My closest FO is in Portland, OR, just curious if here's anyone had experience in this specific location before?

Here are my questions:
1. I understand CURRENT on VB means any CN is now available to move on but do they still process cases based on the CN or it becomes first come first serve? since everyone who has high CN is sending their petition pretty much at the same time.
2. With my CN, what is a good time frame to submit my DS-260 to inform them I am going with AOS?
3. Does the entire AP have to be done within the FY or do I just have to file my AOS petition and get approved before October and the rest of the process (interview, biometric, etc.) can be done over the FY? In my case, my CN will most likely become current at the end of the FY like July or August. If I file my AOS petition in July and if it really happens to take 4 months, does it mean I am already disqualified due to the FY is over? Then would the CP route go faster at that point? (I know this is a very confusing one but I saw the spreadsheet says interview may be 1 to 4 month from when my CN becomes current, just wanna make sure)

Thanks a lot for running this forum! This is really helpful!

1. For AOS, processing is done by the Chicago Lockbox based on when the AOS package was received, subsequent processing by the FO is based on each FO’s work schedule. KCC does not process AOSers.

2. Can’t give you an exact month, you’ll have to closely monitor the VB for indications of if and when your CN might become current, following which you submit the DS260 form. You can also wait until the VB actually shows your CN as being current before submitting the DS260 form.

3. The entire AOS process including approval has to happen no later than COB on Sept. 30th. No filing in July or August doesn’t mean you’re automatically disqualified as each FOs processing time is based on their specific workload like you already read from the spreadsheet which could be anywhere between one or several months.

Refer to both the current and past timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of your applicable FOs processing time.

1. For AOS, processing is done by the Chicago Lockbox based on when the AOS package was received, subsequent processing by the FO is based on each FO’s work schedule. KCC does not process AOSers.

2. Can’t give you an exact month, you’ll have to closely monitor the VB for indications of if and when your CN might become current, following which you submit the DS260 form. You can also wait until the VB actually shows your CN as being current before submitting the DS260 form.

3. The entire AOS process including approval has to happen no later than COB on Sept. 30th. No filing in July or August doesn’t mean you’re automatically disqualified as each FOs processing time is based on their specific workload like you already read from the spreadsheet which could be anywhere between one or several months.

Refer to both the current and past timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of your applicable FOs processing time.

When all case numbers go current there is no priority for case number let's say 11000 over 25000?

Good morning.9 days ago, i paid the fee (330$). According to your spreadsheet, i should get an email from KCC, but I didn t receivenothing yet.

Good morning.9 days ago, i paid the fee (330$). According to your spreadsheet, i should get an email from KCC, but I didn t receivenothing yet.

I am very certain the spreadsheet does not say KCC will send an email following the DV administrative fee payment, please pay close attention to the information on that guidance document.

On a side note, there’s a lot of patience required with AOS. Nine days (which includes mailing period, weekend, and a public holiday) is too short a time to be stressing about non response.

Hello Friends,

I have been selected for the DV 2020, my family and I are legally living in the US under B2 visa for 9 months, we extended our stay and it has been approved. I filed the DS-260 online and submitted it, during the filing process we selected USCIS as interview location.
My questions are:
1-)After filing and submitted online the DS-260, will we get an email from KCC for the next steps or what should we do? If yes how long it takes to get a feedback from them?
2-) After some researches I found that since we have selected USCIS as interview location, we might file i-485, I filed this form but didin't submit it since I have got any new from the KCC after submitting the DS-260.

Thank you for your help..

Probably you will be overstaying your visa by the time your visa becomes current, I think it is better to do consular processing in your case. Let Mom have her day before you decide what to do next. Better if you state your region and the rank.

Hello Friends,

I have been selected for the DV 2020, my family and I are legally living in the US under B2 visa for 9 months, we extended our stay and it has been approved. I filed the DS-260 online and submitted it, during the filing process we selected USCIS as interview location.
My questions are:
1-)After filing and submitted online the DS-260, will we get an email from KCC for the next steps or what should we do? If yes how long it takes to get a feedback from them?
2-) After some researches I found that since we have selected USCIS as interview location, we might file i-485, I filed this form but didin't submit it since I have got any new from the KCC after submitting the DS-260.

Thank you for your help..

Technically speaking you’re not “living” in the US - visitors can’t live legally in the US on an a B1/B2 Visa as that is meant for visiting only.

Couple of questions you need to answer to help determine if you will be eligible to file AOS or not:

1. When did you initially arrive in the US and what is the duration of stay you were granted at the POE?

2. When did you file for extension of stay and when did you receive the approval?

3. What is your CN?

Hello,

Thank you very much for the quick update.

1. We arrived in the US last August, just for visiting my brother in law.

2. We had to extend the stay since we needed to follow our daughter vaccinations.the new extend stay will be done at the end of August 2019.

3. African. and Asia citizenship

Note: Actually I have a H1B on going visa process and L1 for my US company. I have been applying for DV since 2012 for every year, but God blessed this year and it worked.

Hope could answer to your questions

Technically speaking you’re not “living” in the US - visitors can’t live legally in the US on an a B1/B2 Visa as that is meant for visiting only.

Couple of questions you need to answer to help determine if you will be eligible to file AOS or not:

1. When did you initially arrive in the US and what is the duration of stay you were granted at the POE?

2. When did you file for extension of stay and when did you receive the approval?

3. What is your CN?

Hello,

So technically we can not make adjustment from B2 to DV, right?

Hello,

Or practically either, as your stay expires August and DV2020 only starts in October. It’s not clear whether your case number is AF or AS, but either way your case number won’t be current early.

It’s a little confusing you talk about being in the US on a B visa for a year total but also about a L1 from your company. Can you clarify? If you have done any work in the US on a B visa you have violated status, a factor that would make you ineligible to adjust anyway. Can you also clarify that uscis has actually approved your I539 till end August 2019?

Hello,

Thank you very much for the quick update.

1. We arrived in the US last August, just for visiting my brother in law.

2. We had to extend the stay since we needed to follow our daughter vaccinations.the new extend stay will be done at the end of August 2019.

3. African. and Asia citizenship

Note: Actually I have a H1B on going visa process and L1 for my US company. I have been applying for DV since 2012 for every year, but God blessed this year and it worked.

Hope could answer to your questions

Sorry for not answering the 3.question.
3.) 20XXX

I wish you had responded to the actual questions I asked. You mostly provided “reasons” and haven’t provided actual responses to the questions asked. So let’s give this one more shot:

1. Your arrival date was August 2018, and you were granted a 6 month duration of stay which expired in February 2019, correct?

2. When did you file for an extension and when was this approved? (Provide month and year for both only please).

3a. Your CN is AF20xxx, correct?
3b. Since you introduced the element of citizenship to question 3 - is the selectee born in Africa or Asia?

4. (This is based on the additional note you added to your response) What do you mean by your “US company”? Have you been working in the US since you came in on a visitor’s visa?

Hello,

It is possible to adjust status from a B1/B2 if eligibility requirements are met which is what we’re trying to determine in your case. So you need to accurately answer the questions being asked in order to know if you’ll be eligible for AOS.

In DV2017 my friend whose case number went current in July had many Infopass sessions in August and September and finally could make his FO expedite the process but it was too late and his case was refused due to not being completed by September 30.
I have heard that lawyers in each district have private email of manager of field office in that district. I think If this is the case it is a more effective way than Infopass.
Does anyone know about this

In DV2017 my friend whose case number went current in July had many Infopass sessions in August and September and finally could make his FO expedite the process but it was too late and his case was refused due to not being completed by September 30.
I have heard that lawyers in each district have private email of manager of field office in that district. I think If this is the case it is a more effective way than Infopass.
Does anyone know about this

So what you are saying is that you’ve heard uscis officials give preference to some citizens over others because of some private channel of communication between them? Hmmm. Please keep us updated if you find a lawyer who claims to have such a back-channel of communication and is able to use it to advantage his clients over others.

We have heard of cases here where lawyers have messed up DV, and of some where lawyers don’t seem to have damaged cases. I’ve never seen a case where it’s claimed a lawyer had some kind of private advantage.

By the way, it’s quite unusual for a case current in July not to be completed in time from what we have seen here. Did your friend have any issues with background checks, or any other case specific issues that you know of?

Oh - edit to add - they exhausted visas before DV ended in DV2017, see the last few pages of the thread here https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/page-198
This may have been the problem your friend faced.
The issues with visa numbers not being put aside for AOS has been discussed already. A lawyer certainly can’t manufacture a visa number when none is available.

Last edited: