• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Questions about wedding and Lottery Visas

Srab2Mtl

Hi,

My name is Sébastien, i'm french and i've been selected for the lottery visa - DV 2019.

Here is my question : I did the DS-260 as a single because i'm not married yet. But me and my wife want to get married and she is Canadian.

Can i edit my DS-260 and add her in it ? Because she is canadian i'm not sure, the Canadians are not elligible to do the lottery...

If i can't, how can i bring her with me ?

Thank you in advance for all your messages,

Sébastien

When you get married, you can add her to her case and she can get a visa as your derivative. Derivatives take the chargeability country of the principal, so it doesn’t matter that her birth country is not eligible.

Thank you for your answer Susie.

Can i edit the DS-260 now ? Or i need to wait until we get married ?

We don't live together now, is it a problem ? I don't know when i will have an interview, but i guess the beggining of 2019 because i'm EU15"""""

I'm pretty sure you have to wait until you're actually married for her to qualify as a derivative.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer Susie.

Can i edit the DS-260 now ? Or i need to wait until we get married ?

We don't live together now, is it a problem ? I don't know when i will have an interview, but i guess the beggining of 2019 because i'm EU15"""""

1. Update your DS260 form, and fill a separate DS260 form for your spouse (in addition to updating yours) only after getting married. The sooner you get married and update the DS260 forms the better, preferably before your interview gets scheduled.

2. Unmarried people are typically not expected to be living together until after they get married, so the fact that you’re currently not living together is not an issue. However, you should be prepared to present documentary evidence to prove your marriage is not a GC married.

Thanks everyone for your answers !

Sm1smom : What kind of documents they can ask ? Marriage certificate, photos, conversations etc...

Thanks everyone for your answers !

Sm1smom : What kind of documents they can ask ? Marriage certificate, photos, conversations etc...

You need the marriage certificate just to add her. Yes to all the rest, you need to prove a genuine relationship.

Thanks a lot for the informations.

What about if we get married after i receive the green card ?

Then you sponsor your spouse for her own GC, a more expensive and time consuming process compared to being a visa lottery derivative. Sponsoring a spouse currently takes about 2 years to complete the process, you will still have to prove your marriage is genuine also.

Thank you.

I guess it's better to us to get married before the interview.
Just to add, not only is it more expensive and longer to sponsor her afterwards, but she cannot live with you in the US for the 2 years or so she’s waiting for the petition to become current, unless she is able to obtain some other kind of long term visa for the US in the interim. It is definitely a vastly superior process all round for her to be added to the DV case than sponsored after.

Thanks a lot Susie for the informations.

I need to figure it out very soon and organize everything fast because my interview will be sooner than i thought.

Last question we have : does a simple courtroom wedding look bad ?

We don't want and can't prepare a big wedding for the next months. Will it reflect badly on us ?

Thank you

Last question we have : does a simple courtroom wedding look bad ?

We don't want and can't prepare a big wedding for the next months. Will it reflect badly on us ?

Thank you

Plenty of people have court weddings. The more members of both your families that attend, the better. However, the bigger weight of evidence will come from showing your relationship leading up to the wedding which will show its genuine more than the type of ceremony.

Ok i totally understand, so i guess we will focus on all the evidences that can prove its genuine.

Is it the same idea if we get married in Vegas ?

Because i’m sure we have everything to prove it’s genuine. The only fear we have it’s about the wedding, the kind if wedding we do etc...

Thanks everyone for your help

Ok i totally understand, so i guess we will focus on all the evidences that can prove its genuine.

Is it the same idea if we get married in Vegas ?

Because i’m sure we have everything to prove it’s genuine. The only fear we have it’s about the wedding, the kind if wedding we do etc...

Thanks everyone for your help

Yes, where or how you get married is not really a factor. Otherwise every green card marriage would take place in Vegas.

Hi
My name is nasim. i regestered dv lottery 2020. I made a mistake and filled out my info in second page instead of my wife. I immditly fill out a new form and submmit again. But now i found out it will canceled. What can i do now?
Please help me.

Hi
My name is nasim. i regestered dv lottery 2020. I made a mistake and filled out my info in second page instead of my wife. I immditly fill out a new form and submmit again. But now i found out it will canceled. What can i do now?
Please help me.
I think you may have answered your own question.

Hi
Please help me.

There’s nothing you can do at this point to rectify this.