• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How About DV 2019?

I'm surprised there may be problems, I thought they bullet proofed the system in the meantime. I hope 'broken' doesn't mean they are going to stuff it up. We haven't entered our details yet.

Being in the same line of duty, I feel obligated to defend the unnamed men and women working on that site. Designing a system that can sustain periodic bursts of activity, while having very limited resources is extremely hard. We don't know the circumstances leading up to this failure. We do know however, that DV is often plagued by a large number fraudulent entries. If "agents" are submitting all the entries using just a brute force, that may easily lead to DDoS. Just be patient. There are 3 more weeks to submit your entry.

Being in the same line of duty, I feel obligated to defend the unnamed men and women working on that site. Designing a system that can sustain periodic bursts of activity, while having very limited resources is extremely hard. We don't know the circumstances leading up to this failure. We do know however, that DV is often plagued by a large number fraudulent entries. If "agents" are submitting all the entries using just a brute force, that may easily lead to DDoS. Just be patient. There are 3 more weeks to submit your entry.

Hahaha - yeah - we should be kind, but this isn't the first stuff up. Over the time I have been watching them, I have seen them mess up the lottery process several times. Some were minor (like silly mistakes on the VB), but others were major (like the whole 2012 draw, or the May results checking systems in 2015 and 2017). And you can't really say this is an unusual or unexpected spike in activity - this system must be designed to do one job for one month - that is to collect about 25 million entries in one month. If suddenly getting 5 million in a single day made it fall over, someone should have done better.

As a DBA, I'm, uh, half of the line of duty?

I know they uses Oracle, based on an error back in 2015

https://twitter.com/FableFox/status/636728483834523648

By now they should have uses Amazon AWS-like services where they can buy more resource per need basis.

But it remind me of Oregon/Oracle/Heathcare fiasco. Where the website never worked(?).
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/09/post_183.html

It wasn't the tech, it wasn't the cost. It just, I don't know... :-(

As of 1 hour ago, they acknowledged that they are still working on the issue but did not share any specifics.

Glad I got mine in early, wonder how many million fewer applications they will receive due to the downtime.

I regret didn't register early. I was thinking all these years I've been registering early, and I didn't win. I know it's random. But I was thinking about getting half-mid number, and besides, lots of people might register early. (oh well, it's down probably because of the load, among others).

anyway, now that its still down, and 12th already, hope I can make it.

Knowing that they are gov, and their registration time period is 1 month, I think they have no problem extending it. Although they have the right to not do so, it just might open themselves to useless lawsuit and what not. So I think they might extend it and call it a day. But most people may still register before end of current mentioned end date, because we don't want extra risk.

I regret didn't register early. I was thinking all these years I've been registering early, and I didn't win. I know it's random. But I was thinking about getting half-mid number, and besides, lots of people might register early. (oh well, it's down probably because of the load, among others).

anyway, now that its still down, and 12th already, hope I can make it.

Knowing that they are gov, and their registration time period is 1 month, I think they have no problem extending it. Although they have the right to not do so, it just might open themselves to useless lawsuit and what not. So I think they might extend it and call it a day. But most people may still register before end of current mentioned end date, because we don't want extra risk.

Life has been crazy busy right now so like you, I have yet to put my application in. I am remaining optimistic that they will sort it out soon as we can both get our applications in without any hassles. Stay positive! :)

Q

Life has been crazy busy right now so like you, I have yet to put my application in. I am remaining optimistic that they will sort it out soon as we can both get our applications in without any hassles. Stay positive! :)

Q

I´m in the same situation and I´m sure it will be back up and running soon. Its all based on luck after all.