• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hello Mom,
I am currently on valid F1 visa in the US. I was selected for DV-2018 lottery. I already submitted the DS-260 for AOS. But, I am opting to change it for CP. I requested to unlock my DS-260 to change it for CP and they send me an email stating..
".............. If you are not currently living in the US or not eligible to apply for the adjustment of status, you must submit a written request stating that you want to process at the embassy. Please include the following with your request: *Case Number *Name *Date of birth *Current Physical Address* "

1)As, I am currently living in the US, I was not sure what to provide in the current physical address. Should I provide the address of my home country where I am supposed to be called for interview for CP or the U.S address?
2) When should I send the written request? After resubmitting the form or before?
3) Now my DS 260 in unlocked I still cant change the address for interview, Will I be able to change it after the written request?

Thanks.

1. Provide your home country address

2. After the DS260 form resubmission - remember to update the address section on the form itself before resubmitting it.

3. You can't change your address or the interview location itself? The interview option cannot be changed by you once locked/submitted, that is why you need to clearly communicate the desire to change from AOS to CP to KCC.

My wife is planning to visit family around Nov 15-Dec 15 during the AOS pending period. She is in H$ and in instruction to file I-131 i found " application for adjustment of status generally will not be deemed abandoned, even if you do not apply for an Advance Parole Document before traveling abroad while an adjustment application is pending, if you currently are in one of the following non immigrant classifications, and remain eligible for and would be admissible in one of the following categories upon applying for admission at a port-of-entry: a. An H-1 temporary worker, or H-4 spouse or child of an H-1;". Please based on the earlier experiences, advise me on whether to file I-131 for her or not? What if they send the bio-metrics appointment in between that period? Can I reschedule the appointment?

Thank you in advance.

My wife is planning to visit family around Nov 15-Dec 15 during the AOS pending period. She is in H$ and in instruction to file I-131 i found " application for adjustment of status generally will not be deemed abandoned, even if you do not apply for an Advance Parole Document before traveling abroad while an adjustment application is pending, if you currently are in one of the following non immigrant classifications, and remain eligible for and would be admissible in one of the following categories upon applying for admission at a port-of-entry: a. An H-1 temporary worker, or H-4 spouse or child of an H-1;". Please based on the earlier experiences, advise me on whether to file I-131 for her or not? What if they send the bio-metrics appointment in between that period? Can I reschedule the appointment?

Thank you in advance.

1. Yes AOS petitioners currently in L or H1/H4 status will not be considered to have abandoned their AOS petition if they travel out of the US without an approved AP card while their AOS petition is pending.

2. You've been provided with the necessary information, please make your own informed decision. Yes you may request to reschedule the bio appointment but I do not recommend that. Can your wife's trip wait?

Thank you. We will plan the travel accordingly based on the bio appointment.

A small confusion. In the cover letter format, in the list of documents there is "Copy of Notice of Actions for Extension of Status Authorization". What does this refer to ? I have AOS Notification Letter from KCC. Are they same ? Please advise.

Thank you sms1mom for all your help. It really helped a lot for me. Due to new I-485 questions I have few questions.

1) I am on H1b and have tps with no EAD; and My wife is on H4 with tps, and working on TPS EAD. Does that complicate our situation?

On Part1

2) Item 23 b; should we write i-94 expiration of our recent H1/H4?
3) Item 23 c; status on form i-94 (class of admission); should we put the status when we arrived to US? Me and my wife both came on F1 status.
23 c confuses me because on Item 24 it has a questions, 'what is your current status (if changed after arrival)', which I believe H1B (H4).

Thank you. We will plan the travel accordingly based on the bio appointment.

A small confusion. In the cover letter format, in the list of documents there is "Copy of Notice of Actions for Extension of Status Authorization". What does this refer to ? I have AOS Notification Letter from KCC. Are they same ? Please advise.

No, they're not the same. You wouldn't have a NOA for Extension of Status Authrization if you've never applied for an extension of status from USCIS.

Thank you sms1mom for all your help. It really helped a lot for me. Due to new I-485 questions I have few questions.

1) I am on H1b and have tps with no EAD; and My wife is on H4 with tps, and working on TPS EAD. Does that complicate our situation?

On Part1

2) Item 23 b; should we write i-94 expiration of our recent H1/H4?
3) Item 23 c; status on form i-94 (class of admission); should we put the status when we arrived to US? Me and my wife both came on F1 status.
23 c confuses me because on Item 24 it has a questions, 'what is your current status (if changed after arrival)', which I believe H1B (H4).

1. Not to the best of my knowledge.

2. Yes if that I-94 was used in physically admitting you into the US. If an older I-94 was used in physically admitting you and you haven't been outside the US since then, list the date on that form. Did you use the H1/H4 visa to enter the US, or you haven't been out since your admission on F1?

3. The correct response is dependent on 2 above.

3.b - Question 24 also depends on on the response to 2 above.

1. Not to the best of my knowledge.

2. Yes if that I-94 was used in physically admitting you into the US. If an older I-94 was used in physically admitting you and you haven't been outside the US since then, list the date on that form. Did you use the H1/H4 visa to enter the US, or you haven't been out since your admission on F1?

3. The correct response is dependent on 2 above.

3.b - Question 24 also depends on on the response to 2 above.
Thank you for your reply. My last question, should husband and wife should send application in same package or different package? Which one is preferable?

Hi Mom,
Hope your are all fine.
I would like to hear some advise about my case if you could please.
I won the 2018 and my case number very high.
Its As113xx
Im currenlty in the US with F1 visa study Masters and I will finish in 2019.
I did not fill the D260 yet becouse Im afraid that my number not being current and then I loose my F1.
What is your opinion Please.
1- how percentage might my case being current?
2- if I fill thr D260 and not being interviwed. When can know about this. If i travel outside the US and come back or just If i applied for renewal visa? Or while I'm study here they will deport me.

Thanks alot

Hi Mom,
Hope your are all fine.
Its As113xx
I did not fill the D260 yet becouse Im afraid that my number not being current and then I loose my F1.
2- if I fill thr D260 and not being interviwed. When can know about this. If i travel outside the US and come back or just If i applied for renewal visa? Or while I'm study here they will deport me.

Thanks alot

Right now, there is no way to predict your chance with any certainty. In a few months time we will know more - and there is absolutely no need to submit your DS260 (AOS or CP) this early. So - wait - and see what happens when we have more information. Plan to wait 5 or 6 months before doing anything.

Hi Mom,
Hope your are all fine.
Its As113xx

Thanks alot

I agree with Simon’s response above. Holding off on the submission of the DS260 (which is a declaration of an immigrant intent) for the next couple of months and watch the VB progression for now.

Hi,
I was selected for 2018 Diversity and already selected the Adjustment of Status and filled and returned the DS260 online. My Case number is Africa 34*** and my family is back in my home country and I have to first adjust for them to be given their visa. I have 2 questions that I need your help with.
1. I had a change of address, I moved from the address I used in the DS260. Is this a problem and if not how should I update the address?
2. Can my wife who is back in my home country apply for the 2019 Diversity Visa Lottery? (I had included her in my application.) Can it affect my current process having been selected for 2018 and her being part of it?

Thank you for your help.

Hi,
I was selected for 2018 Diversity and already selected the Adjustment of Status and filled and returned the DS260 online. My Case number is Africa 34*** and my family is back in my home country and I have to first adjust for them to be given their visa. I have 2 questions that I need your help with.
1. I had a change of address, I moved from the address I used in the DS260. Is this a problem and if not how should I update the address?
2. Can my wife who is back in my home country apply for the 2019 Diversity Visa Lottery? (I had included her in my application.) Can it affect my current process having been selected for 2018 and her being part of it?

Thank you for your help.

1. Not a problem. List current/applicable address on the AOS package forms when the time comes.

2. Yes your wife can apply for DV2019 without jeopardizing your current selection (and you can equally apply again yourself, no impact on current selection). Your wife needs to ensure you’re listed as her spouse on her own application and should use a recent photo for you and the entire family.

Hi All,

My CN is EU24XXX so I should be current around April 2018. I am in the US under L1 visa so I selected AOS in the DS260 form, I haven't submitted it yet. I have read from the AoS 2017 thread that USCIS ran out of GC in September and as my FO is New York and they are quite slow for processing the DV cases (I am anticipating a USCIS interview during Summer 2018) I am a bit scared that I could face the same issue than the DV 2017 cases, so I am considering changing from AoS to CP but as I am working in the US I have to inform my company that I must be away for a while to do my CP in my home country (France).

1. If I correctly understand my case I could submit the DS260 being in the US, receive the 2NL, wait for my case to become current, wait for an interview date, once I have it we fly to France a couple of days before, we take the interview and the medical exam, wait for the GC and then fly back to the US, my question is : If I optimize the CP process on my side how long should I be physically present in my home country before going back to the US (assuming all goes well on the security checks)? I can ask my company to be away from work up to 4 weeks I would say but more than 4 weeks would be difficult.

Thanks a lot

Hi All,

My CN is EU24XXX so I should be current around April 2018. I am in the US under L1 visa so I selected AOS in the DS260 form, I haven't submitted it yet. I have read from the AoS 2017 thread that USCIS ran out of GC in September and as my FO is New York and they are quite slow for processing the DV cases (I am anticipating a USCIS interview during Summer 2018) I am a bit scared that I could face the same issue than the DV 2017 cases, so I am considering changing from AoS to CP but as I am working in the US I have to inform my company that I must be away for a while to do my CP in my home country (France).

1. If I correctly understand my case I could submit the DS260 being in the US, receive the 2NL, wait for my case to become current, wait for an interview date, once I have it we fly to France a couple of days before, we take the interview and the medical exam, wait for the GC and then fly back to the US, my question is : If I optimize the CP process on my side how long should I be physically present in my home country before going back to the US (assuming all goes well on the security checks)? I can ask my company to be away from work up to 4 weeks I would say but more than 4 weeks would be difficult.

Thanks a lot

If you're planning on changing from AOS to CP (and you've already submitted your DS260 form), you need to get the form unlocked, update the home address and then inform KCC of your change of process.

KCC will need a couple of months to process your form for CP, so don't wait until you're current before making the change. And for CP, you only get the 2NL after your CN becomes current and KCC has scheduled an interview - it's a different process from AOS whereby you get the 2NL before your CN becomes current.

You should be prepared to spend two to four weeks on average at home, which could be longer if you're put on AP. You'll need to give yourself enough time to complete the medical exam prior to your interview date, and to get all the applicable PCC that wouldn't have been required for AOS.

Hi all,
My CN is SA22xx. I am currently on an H1-b visa in the US. Based on the recent bulletins, my CN seems like a high number and so i would like to apply for DV-2019 as well, would that affect my current application?

If you're planning on changing from AOS to CP (and you've already submitted your DS260 form), you need to get the form unlocked, update the home address and then inform KCC of your change of process.

KCC will need a couple of months to process your form for CP, so don't wait until you're current before making the change. And for CP, you only get the 2NL after your CN becomes current and KCC has scheduled an interview - it's a different process from AOS whereby you get the 2NL before your CN becomes current.

You should be prepared to spend two to four weeks on average at home, which could be longer if you're put on AP. You'll need to give yourself enough time to complete the medical exam prior to your interview date, and to get all the applicable PCC that wouldn't have been required for AOS.

Thank you very much for your reply !
I haven't submitted my DS260 yet but at the beginning of the form ("Getting Started") they ask if we want to do AoS or CP as I already selected the AoS case it's blocked, so I will need to ask them to unlock it. And yes I am planning to send the DS260 beginning of January (I recently traveled outside of the US so to limit the risks I am waiting 90 days to comply with the 90 days rule even if I am under L1 visa) for a CN becoming current in April I would say.

1. By any way is it possible to complete the medical exam and the PCC in the US (so before coming back to my home country and taking the interview) or do I have to do them during my stay in my home country?

thanks a lot,

Thank you very much for your reply !
I haven't submitted my DS260 yet but at the beginning of the form ("Getting Started") they ask if we want to do AoS or CP as I already selected the AoS case it's blocked, so I will need to ask them to unlock it. And yes I am planning to send the DS260 beginning of January (I recently traveled outside of the US so to limit the risks I am waiting 90 days to comply with the 90 days rule even if I am under L1 visa) for a CN becoming current in April I would say.

1. By any way is it possible to complete the medical exam and the PCC in the US (so before coming back to my home country and taking the interview) or do I have to do them during my stay in my home country?

thanks a lot,

Medical exam from the US is not acceptable for CP, it must be done by one of the CS designated by the embassy. A PCC from the US expected or required. You will need one from your home country of course and any other country you’ve resided as as applicable, with the exception of the US of course. I don’t know how long that is likely to take, you’ll have to investigate that on your own.

Waiting 90 Days is not applicable if processing CP by the way.