• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2016 CEAC data published...

DV-2017 EU numbers highlight the importance of processing as early as feasible under established DV rules. This will become even more relevant, I believe, under now updated security clearance requirements, where increased and longer AP processing are to be expected for DV selectees. From these preliminary numbers, 2017 EU selectees seem to have noticeably benefitted from these DV processing implications, while some applicants, seeking AoS through USCIS, lost out - in cases where their FO's intended to clear their DV deck during the second half of September, as quite a few of them used to do in previous DV years. Some interesting food for thought for 2018 and future DV selectees, I believe.

DV-2017 EU numbers highlight the importance of processing as early as feasible under established DV rules. This will become even more relevant, I believe, under now updated security clearance requirements, where increased and longer AP processing are to be expected for DV selectees. From these preliminary numbers, 2017 EU selectees seem to have noticeably benefitted from these DV processing implications, while some applicants, seeking AoS through USCIS, lost out - in cases where their FO's intended to clear their DV deck during the second half of September, as quite a few of them used to do in previous DV years. Some interesting food for thought for 2018 and future DV selectees, I believe.

Indeed. We've frequently seen in the past people delaying submission of DS's to try time interviews to better suit them - that seems to be a more dangerous game now.

I'm still intrigued by the order to stop issuing at 50k when we haven't seen that before (other than country limits) in the years they went to 51-52k-ish. I retain a strong suspicion that there is a political element in this, which technically is simply enforcing the announced numbers I guess.

Indeed. We've frequently seen in the past people delaying submission of DS's to try time interviews to better suit them - that seems to be a more dangerous game now.

I'm still intrigued by the order to stop issuing at 50k when we haven't seen that before (other than country limits) in the years they went to 51-52k-ish. I retain a strong suspicion that there is a political element in this, which technically is simply enforcing the announced numbers I guess.

How would the political element work. Most people that work in high levels at the DHS/USCIS are reasonably bright - which is the antidote to Trumpsupporterism. So - there would have to be a communication in back channels from the administration to tell DHS/USCIS to do something they know to be politically motivated and unfair. I imagine the answer would start with F and end in off.

How would the political element work. Most people that work in high levels at the DHS/USCIS are reasonably bright - which is the antidote to Trumpsupporterism. So - there would have to be a communication in back channels from the administration to tell DHS/USCIS to do something they know to be politically motivated and unfair. I imagine the answer would start with F and end in off.

Just an order sent down to enforce the limit at 50k. It doesn't need to be blatantly political, just couched in terms of the technical limit being reached.

Why else would they have done this? I can't think of an alternative explanation.

I'm not sure if you follow the USCIS Facebook page, but there's been a definite change in tone in some of the articles that clearly align with the current top-down political views on immigration. Like this one https://www.uscis.gov/laws/buy-american-hire-american-putting-american-workers-first

Last edited:
From DV-2018 Instructions:

"Program Overview

The Department of State administers the Congressionally-mandated Diversity Immigrant Visa Program annually. Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides for a class of immigrants known as "diversity immigrants" from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States. For Fiscal Year 2018, 50,000 Diversity Visas (DVs) will be available. " (underline added)
Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2018-Instructions-Translations/DV-2018 Instructions English.pdf

I am aware that additional visa numbers, reserved for specific humanitarian cases, in previous years sometimes have been used for additional DV visa. Maybe this is a case of simply returning to regular order? Just saying... ;)

From DV-2018 Instructions:

"Program Overview

The Department of State administers the Congressionally-mandated Diversity Immigrant Visa Program annually. Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides for a class of immigrants known as "diversity immigrants" from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States. For Fiscal Year 2018, 50,000 Diversity Visas (DVs) will be available. " (underline added)
Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2018-Instructions-Translations/DV-2018 Instructions English.pdf

I am aware that additional visa numbers, reserved for specific humanitarian cases, in previous years sometimes have been used for additional DV visa. Maybe this is a case of simply returning to regular order? Just saying... ;)

Yup, every year it's 50k, this is the first year that I've been in it it's been enforced. In my year (dv2013) it was well over and people were still being approved right till literally the last day.

Yup, every year it's 50k, this is the first year that I've been in it it's been enforced. In my year (dv2013) it was well over and people were still being approved right till literally the last day.
Yes, it used to be 55K, years past, but they changed the law, i.e. Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and adjusted to 50K for the DV program. They possibly went over some above 50K this year as well, final numbers will tell.

The part which I personally find more annoying in respect to DV-2017 is that KCC decided to open the floodgates and to give up processing control by going CURRENT across most Regions/Countries much too early this year. This meant "First come, First served" and this is what they got.

Last edited:
Yes, it used to be 55K, years past, but they changed the law, i.e. Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and adjusted to 50K for the DV program. They possibly went over some above 50K this year as well, final numbers will tell.

The part which I personally find more annoying in respect to DV-2017 is that KCC decided to open the floodgates and to give up processing control by going CURRENT across most Regions/Countries much too early this year. This meant "First come, First served" and this is what they got.

It was already technically 50k as long as I've been in it but until this year they never seemed to treat it as a hard limit. It had always looked as though they didn't mind going over as long as under 55k, which it always comfortably was.

Indeed re current - and though they do tell you to submit asap, which for most cases imo means that first come first served is ok, it's definitely not fair for the AP, AOS and limited countries who can't do anything about their timelines.