• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

RAISE Act - Immigration Reform

Not sure what you read for 5 minutes but this is what I read:
H.R.1178 - SAFE for America Act : "Effective date.—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2017."
S.354 - RAISE Act: "EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on the first day of the first fiscal year that begins after the date of the enactment of this Act."

It doesn't seem to me that 2018 selectees would not be affected if these bills pass.
I guess the question for DV2018 selectees at least would be whether the bill could be enacted before the 30th of September or not. Is there any chance of that happening in the upcoming two months?

I guess the question would be whether the bill could be enacted before the 30th of September or not for DV2018 selectees. Is there any chance of that happening ?

Did you read the bit I just quoted? Not even the republicans are interested in doing anything about this any time soon.

I did but I genuinely don't understand why ? (Hence my other question to @Mushy_hot )

The U.S. Senate is currently focused on Healthcare and this is consuming a lot of their time and energy. Immigration is a very hot topic and will require a lot of time and discussions from both parties. They don't have that time or interest at this moment.

The U.S. Senate is currently focused on Healthcare and this is consuming a lot of their time and energy. Immigration is a very hot topic and will require a lot of time and discussions from both parties. They don't have that time or interest at this moment.
The senate can't do anything more on healthcare till next fiscal year - McCain killed it for them. Tax, Russia and the upcoming recess, not to mention the continuing SNL fodder the White House provides are taking up energy at the moment. It's interesting that Russian sanctions were one item that did get massive bipartisan support.

ok so if this is dead already for this fiscal year, why are they pushing for it now ? I dont know if you have seen the press briefing today but they seem to want to make a huge deal out of it.What's the point of doing that if you know you wont be able to get it through and capitalise on the momentum ? (again really genuine questions)
And why are people talking about opposition from "republicans" ? Why would the republicans specifically be opposed to this ?

Last edited:
ok so if this is dead already for this fiscal year, why are they pushing for it now ? I dont know if you have seen the press briefing today but they seem to want to make a huge deal out of it.What's the point of doing that if you know you wont be able to get it through and capitalise on the momentum ? (again really genuine questions)
And why are people talking about opposition from "republicans" ? Why would the republicans specifically be opposed to this ?

This is what a pro right (pro Trump) media outlet thinks about this act.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/08/...erit-based-immigration-raise-act-im-perplexed

? If what is dead? Healthcare is dead for the FY, not immigration. I'm not clear if you confused the answers or I just don't understand your response. But republicans aren't interested in immigration now. Did you read the link by the way? It very specifically says TRUMP is making a big deal because republicans aren't interested - it's not clear to me who the "they" are that you talk about wanting to make a big deal. Of course Trump is desperate to have something of substance passed in what's been pretty much a lame duck presidency re his election promises so far.

Last edited:
For selfish motives, I hope it will fail. But objectivly,....it's more commonsensical and fairer than the chain-migration policy of today (67% of green cards). Acosta's arguments were actually ,...dumb. English is spoken as the 1st or 2nd language by 1.000 million people around the world (and the number is rapidly rising, especially in countries like China, Japan and South Korea), not just in england and australia. And the most likely to be benefited by this system are not whites (as if it was something bad per se), but asians (democrat-leaning voters,...so they shouldn't be that worried).

Last edited:
The senate can't do anything more on healthcare till next fiscal year - McCain killed it for them. Tax, Russia and the upcoming recess, not to mention the continuing SNL fodder the White House provides are taking up energy at the moment. It's interesting that Russian sanctions were one item that did get massive bipartisan support.

That's clear sign that Trump does not have a lot of support from his own party on several topics, specially on the one related to Russia, since he was not very happy with additional sanctions. I'm very interested to see how things will go in terms of Taxes, since its a very sensitive topic as well. Do you think they will be changes in terms of immigration in this administration? It would make me really sad to see the DV Lottery go, but at the same time understand that some changes are needed in this area.

For all people stressing about this (or all the other 3 or 4 bills canceling DV lottery currently floating out there) I'd strongly suggest to ignore typical sources of information such as newspapers, cable news, WH press conferences (especially when led by people like S. Miller or "the late" Sean Spicer). The only place you need to follow if you want to fuel your anxiety is the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary, specifically subcommittee on Border Security and Immigration. They have a very nice website (https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/) , showing all the past, current and future hearings regarding various bills with live broadcasts and formal reports. If, and only if, one of those immigration bills pops up there, it'll require paying closer attention to what's going on. Even then, I'd suggest to grab some popcorn and watch the feed from the hearing before pulling your hair out.

This is the revised RAISE act:
https://www.cotton.senate.gov/files/documents/170802_New_RAISE_Act_Bill_Text.pdf
You can see details of the point system they wanna introduce.

Idk the details but I heard the bill needs 60% to pass in Senate so that's not gonna be easy considering there are 54/100 Republican senators and not all agree with cutting the lottery (ie McCain). One of the reason why some of the senators don't agree with cutting the lottery its because if you make immigration just merit based you are not giving a shot to people who cant afford for example a masters. So people from lower economical backgrounds are automatically eliminated which takes away their opportunity and eliminates the goal of the Lottery which is diversity in the pool of immigrants. Of course how much is USA still interested in diversity at this point is another question.

Last edited:
This is the revised RAISE act:
https://www.cotton.senate.gov/files/documents/170802_New_RAISE_Act_Bill_Text.pdf
You can see details of the point system they wanna introduce.

Idk the details but I heard the bill needs 60% to pass in Senate so that's not gonna be easy considering there are 54/100 Republican senators and not all agree with cutting the lottery (ie McCain). One of the reason why some of the senators don't agree with cutting the lottery its because if you make immigration just merit based you are not giving a shot to people who cant afford for example a masters. So people from lower economical backgrounds are automatically eliminated which takes away their opportunity and eliminates the goal of the Lottery which is diversity in the pool of immigrants. Of course how much is USA still interested in diversity at this point is another question.

They can't even get a co-sponsor for the bill, much less get anyone bothered to vote on it.

By the way the average DV winner is more highly educated than the average immigrant. That's really not the issue about DV, and I'd be very interested if you can quote a source telling us which senators worry about immigrants who can't afford a masters? Where did you read this?
The issue is precisely that it's a lottery and not targeted in any way in terms of jobs or skills or anything else that a sensible immigration policy targets.

This act is yet another example of how badly the present administration are running things.

Imagine suggesting an act that almost overnight would HALVE immigration. Imagine writing such legislation that fails to address the people that already have active cases. Imagine USCIS trying to implement that act with things like a new points system - that takes time to set up. It's the utter clumsiness of this act that means it is doomed, let alone the political debate over the right mix of family based versus skills (or points) based immigration.

This administration is a clown show. And this act is going nowhere.

? If what is dead? Healthcare is dead for the FY, not immigration. I'm not clear if you confused the answers or I just don't understand your response.
I should have been more specific in my question. What I meant is, if the RAISE act bill has no real chance of be enacted for the upcoming fiscal year (which every body seems to agree on) (i.e. dead for fiscal year 2018), then why did the Trump administration chose to endorse it now and give it this big media push? Doesn't he/his administration have better chance pushing for fiscal reform for example (as suggested by the article shared by @Britsimon) ?

- it's not clear to me who the "they" are that you talk about wanting to make a big deal. Of course Trump is desperate to have something of substance passed in what's been pretty much a lame duck presidency re his election promises so far.
"They" refers to the Trump administration and his advisers; and what I meant was why would Trump advisers push for this reform if it was hard to get it through when they seem to need some quick wins ?

This was introduced as red meat for Trump's base. It won't achieve anything, but it allows Trump to stand up before one of his rallies and get applauded because the poor fools think he is "achieving" things. They think he is getting things done. But in most things and especially politics, talking about doing things is a lot easier than actually doing things.