• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Mom's helpful post aside: immigration always involves taking risks. You're leaving behind everything you know and are familiar with. Some risk-averse people need a bit of persuasion for that, but others just never manage to settle in a new place and always regret moving, or end up going back anyway even if it's somewhere "objectively" not as good to live in s the US. It's commendable that you are looking to give your brother all the information he needs to make a well informed decision, but ultimately it has to be his decision.

Yes I know,...the final decision is his. Actually, I am the one advising him to take his time to weigh the pros and cons and base his decision on a series of well-informed factors. At first he told me he was 90% sure he wasn't willing to go any further with the process , after that he told me he was now like 50/50%,...I told him to wait until September and not send DS260 form until he's 100% sure. Meanwhile he could gather as much info as possible, so his decision would be based on rational considerations, not impulses. And yes, I already warned him it wouldn't be easy, but the reward will be worth it. Now he has to consider if he's ready to suffer one more time for a bigger reward or he prefers stability.

Just a general question. How hard to get a home loan in US? and what are the best banks to try my luck with? I am planing to put large down payment and employment is from my current employer. Which we have presence in USA.

Thanks in advance.

Hey @SusieQQQ I have a very important question.

Do you have any recommended Biltong suppliers?

Legal, you mean? (ie not the guys who smuggle it across the border...) Nope, sorry, a friend of ours makes it for us. There are some South African shops online that you could try, but I've not used any of them so can't recommend personally.

Legal, you mean? (ie not the guys who smuggle it across the border...) Nope, sorry, a friend of ours makes it for us. There are some South African shops online that you could try, but I've not used any of them so can't recommend personally.

Thanks - I'll try online. Should be interesting.

hi all,

it's been more than 3 weeks and till now i have received neither my GC or SSN

for the GC i've checked online and its mention produced and mailed in 30-june

but for the SSN i cant find any online way to contact or get updated.... all i found is a number and every time im calling im just waiting in line for more than 30 min with no answer..!!

is there any way to check or ask about the SSN status?

hi all,

it's been more than 3 weeks and till now i have received neither my GC or SSN

for the GC i've checked online and its mention produced and mailed in 30-june

but for the SSN i cant find any online way to contact or get updated.... all i found is a number and every time im calling im just waiting in line for more than 30 min with no answer..!!

is there any way to check or ask about the SSN status?

You need to pay a visit to your nearest SSA office to follow up on your SSN.

That's your only solution. Since you're not in the US at the moment, the SSN is of no use to you anyways.
u r right i wont needed here... but im applying for jobs and start getting emails to send my updated resume
i was reading usually they are asking to send the SSN ... so i just wanna be ready

u r right i wont needed here... but im applying for jobs and start getting emails to send my updated resume
i was reading usually they are asking to send the SSN ... so i just wanna be ready

No, they do NOT usually ask you for your SSN during a job hunt and you should never put it on a resume. If you are made a job offer however they will need it to check you are allowed to work. You should be careful who you hand your SSN to.

No, they do NOT usually ask you for your SSN during a job hunt and you should never put it on a resume. If you are made a job offer however they will need it to check you are allowed to work. You should be careful who you hand your SSN to.
yea im aware of that susie.... just if we come to a final agreement for offer letter and i dont have it i mught lose a chance

yea im aware of that susie.... just if we come to a final agreement for offer letter and i dont have it i mught lose a chance

Again the only solution is a personal visit to the SSA office. If the SSN hasn't shown up by now, it means there's no application in the system for and you need to put in one on your own.

And anyway regarding coming to an agreement with a potential employer, they most likely wouldn't be making you an offer without a face to face interview, the SSN isn't going to be required at that stage.

Again the only solution is a personal visit to the SSA office. If the SSN hasn't shown up by now, it means there's no application in the system for and you need to put in one on your own.

And anyway regarding coming to an agreement with a potential employer, they most likely wouldn't be making you an offer without a face to face interview, the SSN isn't going to be required at that stage.
thanks @Sm1smom its quite clear for me now

"I have been the USA since February, 2016. I went back in December to marry my Fiancee and applied for the i-130 in February 2017. The process is on-going. But I was planning of inviting her here in December for our First anniversary. I do not know how possible that will be or if that will delay the initial process. I need help." - For a friend

"I have been the USA since February, 2016. I went back in December to marry my Fiancee and applied for the i-130 in February 2017. The process is on-going. But I was planning of inviting her here in December for our First anniversary. I do not know how possible that will be or if that will delay the initial process. I need help." - For a friend

With a pending petition it's always hard yup convince the consular officer that you'll go back to your country at the end of the visit. My wife, then girlfriend was allowed to visit but we had not filed the I-130 at time of interview

With a pending petition it's always hard yup convince the consular officer that you'll go back to your country at the end of the visit. My wife, then girlfriend was allowed to visit but we had not filed the I-130 at time of interview

How long did it take for your wife to get the i-130 approved?

Well it's a sad day, but I have decided to officially give up my Greencard and move back to my home country.
I have been here since the middle of March and after trying so hard, have been unable to obtain a job.

It hasn't been a pleasant experience, but I think I can at least say I tried to live my dream and it just didn't work out.

I just wish the GC wouldn't have been such a waste :(