Illinois DMV not accepting I797

williamaiweilun

Hi everyone,

I have recently been to two DMV locations in Chicago to try to exchange an out-of-state license for an illinois license. Basically, I am right now applying for removal of conditions and my green card is about to expire in less than 20 days, but I do have an I-797 (notice of action) with me that specifies the extension of my ability to work and live in the US for one year until a new green card is issued. In both locations, however, they simply said that they cannot accept an I-797 and will require a valid green card for me to exchange my driver's license. Has anyone encountered this situation, and what should I do to get around this issue? I have successfully registered my car but is worried that the license situation might be a problem in the future. Thanks!

They have no reason not to accept it. Don't tell them you have an I-797 (notice of action); that is not one of the documents they accept -- rather, you have an I-551 (green card), whose validity has been extended by the extension letter. You need to use the card plus the letter. Ask to see a supervisor or something.

If they still won't accept it, you will have to go to the USCIS office to get an I-551 stamp in your passport. Some offices don't give them to people who have an extension letter which is not close to expiring, but if you tell them you need it because the DMV is not accepting the expired card plus the extension letter (preferably try to get something from the DMV saying they won't accept it), they will probably give it to you.

Thanks a lot, newacct. That definitely answers my question. I had talked to 3 supervisors at Illinois DMVs, and all of them seemed very determined in repudiating my argument that a green card with an I-797 form would be sufficient for the purpose. They did say, however, an I-797A form is acceptable. Regardless, in order to get a new I-551 stamp, do you need to specifically ask them in advance, or you simply go to your appointment and tell them to give you a new stamp?

Thanks a lot, newacct. That definitely answers my question. I had talked to 3 supervisors at Illinois DMVs, and all of them seemed very determined in repudiating my argument that a green card with an I-797 form would be sufficient for the purpose. They did say, however, an I-797A form is acceptable. Regardless, in order to get a new I-551 stamp, do you need to specifically ask them in advance, or you simply go to your appointment and tell them to give you a new stamp?

This is almost the exact problem I'm having! My I-797 expires on 9/30 and the three times I've tried to get a state ID, I've been told this is not acceptable proof for them, I need a valid green card. This is alongside my Passport, Social Security Card, two pieces of mail, Expired Green Card and Credit Card. My immigration lawyer said that they have no grounds to do this, but every clerk I spoke with in the DMV said my attorney was wrong. After reading this post I've made an Infopass appointment. Hopefully I can get that stamp and then be able to get myself an ID...

My wife went at this DMV Elgin location for just a written test,and passed it. As she got out from the building, she noticed that the expiration on her Permit to Drive/Instruction Permit was only for 2 months(issued 9/2/2016 to 11/04/2016),so she came back and asked why?...
Here how it started. She showed her IL state ID for Identification to get the number from the Customer Info.desk before proceeding to the waiting area to be called by the Number she got fom the Customer Info.desk. When her number was called ,the Customer Rep. asked her if she wants to be registered to vote,and she said NO because she is not a US Citizen yet...so the Customer Rep.asked for her Permanent Green card which she brought as well and showed it to him. In short, her PR card will expired this coming 11/04/2016,however, her IL State ID will not expired until Jan 2020.
So, the question is why did they not tell her before hand that the Permit to drive/Instruction permit validity would depend on her Permanent Resident Card? So, unfornately because of her noticing that her time to practice driving are only for 2 months because they are now basing it on her PR card expiration date.Josh the Customer Rep. was very rude and definitely do not have a good manner and right conduct!(I hope you are reading this JOSH...you are the only JOSH there!)Josh here is your insensitive and so sarcastic comment" We don't care how far you drive to go home and get this proof...who drove?,your wife should have driven since she already have her permit, do you know that all 15 years old and above don't need to be added on the car insurance...do you think all parents here added their kids on their Insurance? NO".You are a smart ass JOSH!
Another worst part happened was with the Supervisor who doesn't give a $**t , she is a blonde woman, she decided be become a wanna be Immigration officer and took my wife's IL state ID,demanded of course to change the expiry date right away from Jan 2020 to 11/04/2016...AGAIN base on my wife's PR card. After that,she asked my wife to pay another $10 to change the expiry date because she said... THEY MUST DO IT,or else she will not give or return my wife's IL State ID. That time I told my wife to just let them keep it or surrender it and refused to pay the $10. My wife and myself were very disappointed and mad because she made us go back home (to grab the Proof) and drove back right away to DMV so we can show her the Proof Receipt (I-797) from U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services that the PR card Renewal is being process and also being extended for one year while it is being process. We were hoping that she would at least change the expiry date of my wife's Permit to drive/Intruction Permit to a year since she promise and gave her word that she will,but I don't think she read or understand what the I-797 Proof Receipt/ PR card Renewal is being process since she only acted like a wanna be Immigration Officer.
By the way, they do not issue the plastic card anymore, you have to wait for 15 days to be sent to you...good bussiness for the Post Office :),but we are taking the chance that it might get lost or even stolen.
Feel free to comment,if there is new policy or law now that we are not aware of because we did not see any sign at all at this DMV Elgin location if there is any.