• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hello Mom,

I did the Bio on 4/18/2016 and my interview was on 6/1/2016.
Today morning, I went to FO (Detroit USCIS) to follow up my case. I explained my case to immigration service officer and he left his desk and after 10 min back and told me your case is pending for Name Check.
My question is:
Does Name Check carry out by NBC, too? When Name Check has been started? Same day as my Bio?
Is there any way to expedite the Name Check?

Thanks

Hello Mom,

Today morning, I went to FO (Detroit USCIS) to follow up my case. I explained my case to immigration service officer and he left his desk and after 10 min back and told me your case is pending for Name Check.
My question is:
Does Name Check carry out by NBC, too? When Name Check has been started? Same day as my Bio?

Thanks

Name/background check is initiated by the NBC when the bio notice gets sent out. Actually checking is done by the FBI after the biometrics gets captured. There's no way I know of to expedite the background check. You'll just have to remain patient and keep following up on your case.

Hello Mom,

My question is:

Thanks
Hello Ema,

I am processing my case through Detroit field office and I appeared for Bio on april 4th, since then I havent heard back anything. I had an infopass yesterday and the information I received from the immigration officer was not of much help. Probably we could share information based on the research we have done so far.

Thanks

Hello Ema,

I am processing my case through Detroit field office and I appeared for Bio on april 4th, since then I havent heard back anything. I had an infopass yesterday and the information I received from the immigration officer was not of much help. Probably we could share information based on the research we have done so far.

Thanks

I edited your post - it would be nice to publicly share information in the forum for other members to benefit from.

Name/background check is initiated by the NBC when the bio notice gets sent out. Actually checking is done by the FBI after the biometrics gets captured. There's no way I know of to expedite the background check. You'll just have to remain patient and keep following up on your case.

Thanks for reply.
Are Name and Background check the same? Or two different things?
If they are two different things, is it possible to only one of them stay on hold?

Hello,

I got selected for DV 2016 and my case number was current in April 2016. I filed application for adjustment of status and it was received on March 5th at Lee Sumit, Missouri. I appeared on April 4th for biometrics and since then I haven’t heard back anything. Afraid of running out of time, I expedited the case, for which I didnt get any response. When I called NCSC, they told me that my case has been sent to Nebraska Service Center and I should followup there about my application status and expediting request. I sent Nebraska Service Center an email inquiry about 13 days ago but haven’t heard back from them yet. I booked an infopass and I got to speak with an immigration officer at the field office of Detroit yesterday. The immigration officer told me that my application had been transferred to Nebraska Service Center since there was a conflict because I had also applied for Temporary Protected Status Benefit last December which USCIS had offered for Nepalese Citizens after the devastating earthquake last year. The field office of Detroit has already filed for release of my information on June 13th, so that they could schedule an interview for me, but the request has not been completed yet by the Nebraska Service Center. Where as the field office have received the application file for my spouse (I filed for my spouse AOS with mine) and they are looking forward to schedule an interview for her. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do next? Should I withdraw my application for Temporary Protected Status, will that help to accelerate the process?

Thanks!
Hello, I don't think Pending TPS affects AOS, I applied for TPS as well, and I called USCIS customer service regarding ( TPS and AOS ) she said pending TPS has nothing to do with AOS processing.

Hello, I don't think Pending TPS affects AOS, I applied for TPS as well, and I called USCIS customer service regarding ( TPS and AOS ) she said pending TPS has nothing to do with AOS processing.
Just curious Rubi...How did your AOS processing go...did you already appear for the interview? and when was your case # current?

I wouldn't take what the USCIS CSR at a call center over what was said at an INFOPASS. Most of the CSR who answer the 1800 number calls are not more knowledgeable than the person calling for a case follow up in most cases (except you get to speak with a L2 rep). They often provide scripted responses just so you know.

Yes a pending TPS or most other petitions can indeed delay the AOS petition just like @Sam1 has reported. The FO typically needs to receive the files for the other pending petitions, they will need to close those other files once a decision has been made to approve the AOS. They can't do that if the files are still out with some other agency.

I wouldn't take what the USCIS CSR at a call center over what was said at an INFOPASS. Most of the CSR who answer the 1800 number calls are not more knowledgeable than the person calling for a case follow up in most cases (except you get to speak with a L2 rep). They often provide scripted responses just so you know.

Yes a pending TPS or most other petitions can indeed delay the AOS petition just like @Sam1 has reported. The FO typically needs to receive the files for the other pending petitions, they will need to close those other files once a decision has been made to approve the AOS. They can't do that if the files are still out with some other agency.
Thanks mom, you always have right answer to all the querries. I agree to what you said.regarding TPS Nebraska typically doesn't reply to the email. ( I never got reply from Nebraska)

Just curious Rubi...How did your AOS processing go...did you already appear for the interview? and when was your case # current?
Well my AOS is still going same like yours I guess, not done the interview.i did went to congressman office and they did the inquiry on my behalf. And they were able to get little bit more information then I did. My case was current for May. Now I am waiting for the interview.

Hello Sm1smom,

Do you think, there is something we can do from our part, at this point, to ensure AOS process will be completed by the end of September? I have another infopass scheduled for July 20th. Should I withdraw my TPS petition or that wont help? Thanks a lot for your answers.

Thanks!

Hello Sm1smom,

Do you think, there is something we can do from our part, at this point, to ensure AOS process will be completed by the end of September? I have another infopass scheduled for July 20th. Should I withdraw my TPS petition or that wont help? Thanks a lot for your answers.

Thanks!

I don't know of anything else you can do outside of on-going follow ups in the form of INFOPASS appointments and congressional inquiries. Regarding the need to withdraw or the impact of withdrawing your pending TPS petition, you previously asked that and I already responded by saying I can't provide guidance on that petition.

I don't know of anything else you can do outside of on-going follow ups in the form of INFOPASS appointments and congressional inquiries. Regarding the need to withdraw or the impact of withdrawing your pending TPS petition, you previously asked that and I already responded by saying I can't provide guidance on that petition.
Thank you very much for your quick response mom. I will go ahead make a congressional inquiry. I apologize for repeating my question.

Hey Sm1smom / BritSimon,

I would definitely appreciate some advice right now.

We had our green card interview on June 2nd. It would have been a very easy and pleasant interview (the IO told us that he was approving everything), except that the IO said he had to deny our case because we had filed too early (we had filed based on the early filing memo). Thankfully, on your advice, I had included a copy of the early filing memo in our file and after finally convincing him to actually read the early filing memo (which he stared at almost in disbelief, reading and rereading it a number of times) he agreed that it was clear that the memo said that we had filed on time, but that he thought it was very likely to have been superseded by now due to it being dated 2013 and he would "have to research it some more". He said clearly that we would hear within 10-14 days if it had been approved or denied, based on the results of his research. He made it very clear that there were no other problems with our case. He seemed pretty annoyed that he had been proven wrong (although we were very, very polite in doing so), and I felt uneasy as to how the interview had ended.

Three weeks later (on June 23rd) we still had not heard anything, so my husband went in for an info pass to find out what was happening. We had realised after the interview that in the stress of talking about the early filing memo, we had forgotten to ask about the background check or the KCC file, so we wanted to find out if either of them was causing a delay, or if it was still just the filing date that was the problem.

The lady who conducted the info pass seemed to be very evasive and not really want to answer questions. She implied (although refused to explicitly state) that there was nothing wrong with our background check. She didn't seem to know what a KCC file was and refused to answer the question about it, wanting to know why we we asking about it. So it seemed to be a rather fruitless visit. We had already called KCC and they had confirmed that the file was sent in February, so hopefully that is not holding things up. She did say that our case was still with the interviewing officer, and that he had 45 days to make a decision.

So here is my question: what do we do now? A number of people have advised us to get a congressman involved ASAP, to hold them accountable for the filing date and hopefully avoid getting a denial issued. One person has expressed great concern that the IO is potentially discriminating for us, and waiting for our case to just expire rather than deny it, as a denial would clearly be a mistake, and wants to write to the congressman on our behalf to get their intervention for possible discrimination. Here on this forum, contacting the local congressman seems to be used mostly as a way to get a stuck case moving again. So what would you advise? Here are the main questions:

1) WHEN should we get a congressman involved? Should we wait until the 45 days have expired (which would be July 17th)? Or should we just go ahead and get the congressman involved right away? Or do we have to wait 45 days from the date of info pass, which documentation online seems to imply, which would be more like August 8th?
2) HOW should we get the congressman involved? Do we try to get them to address the filing date issue and / or potential discrimination? Or should we just ask them to try and get things moving? Obviously if things get moving, but a denial wrongly gets issued, that will be much harder to fix than if they address the filing date and we get an approval. So what do we ask the congressman to do?

Thank you SO MUCH! This forum and that spreadsheet have been such a help during this process!

Hey Sm1smom / BritSimon,

I would definitely appreciate some advice right now.

We had our green card interview on June 2nd. It would have been a very easy and pleasant interview (the IO told us that he was approving everything), except that the IO said he had to deny our case because we had filed too early (we had filed based on the early filing memo). Thankfully, on your advice, I had included a copy of the early filing memo in our file and after finally convincing him to actually read the early filing memo (which he stared at almost in disbelief, reading and rereading it a number of times) he agreed that it was clear that the memo said that we had filed on time, but that he thought it was very likely to have been superseded by now due to it being dated 2013 and he would "have to research it some more". He said clearly that we would hear within 10-14 days if it had been approved or denied, based on the results of his research. He made it very clear that there were no other problems with our case. He seemed pretty annoyed that he had been proven wrong (although we were very, very polite in doing so), and I felt uneasy as to how the interview had ended.

Three weeks later (on June 23rd) we still had not heard anything, so my husband went in for an info pass to find out what was happening. We had realised after the interview that in the stress of talking about the early filing memo, we had forgotten to ask about the background check or the KCC file, so we wanted to find out if either of them was causing a delay, or if it was still just the filing date that was the problem.

The lady who conducted the info pass seemed to be very evasive and not really want to answer questions. She implied (although refused to explicitly state) that there was nothing wrong with our background check. She didn't seem to know what a KCC file was and refused to answer the question about it, wanting to know why we we asking about it. So it seemed to be a rather fruitless visit. We had already called KCC and they had confirmed that the file was sent in February, so hopefully that is not holding things up. She did say that our case was still with the interviewing officer, and that he had 45 days to make a decision.

So here is my question: what do we do now? A number of people have advised us to get a congressman involved ASAP, to hold them accountable for the filing date and hopefully avoid getting a denial issued. One person has expressed great concern that the IO is potentially discriminating for us, and waiting for our case to just expire rather than deny it, as a denial would clearly be a mistake, and wants to write to the congressman on our behalf to get their intervention for possible discrimination. Here on this forum, contacting the local congressman seems to be used mostly as a way to get a stuck case moving again. So what would you advise? Here are the main questions:

1) WHEN should we get a congressman involved? Should we wait until the 45 days have expired (which would be July 17th)? Or should we just go ahead and get the congressman involved right away? Or do we have to wait 45 days from the date of info pass, which documentation online seems to imply, which would be more like August 8th?
2) HOW should we get the congressman involved? Do we try to get them to address the filing date issue and / or potential discrimination? Or should we just ask them to try and get things moving? Obviously if things get moving, but a denial wrongly gets issued, that will be much harder to fix than if they address the filing date and we get an approval. So what do we ask the congressman to do?

Thank you SO MUCH! This forum and that spreadsheet have been such a help during this process!

Couple of things I would like to address first:

- I don't think the IO your husband met at the INFOPASS was being evasive regarding the KCC file. It is not unusual for the front line IOs to know nothing about the KCC file - DV based AOS petition is a minute aspect of all petitions they get to deal with, some have never even come across a DV based AOS case before. Since requesting for the KCC file is only associated with DV based AOS petitions, it's not unusual for the IO being asked about it at an INFOPASS appointment to either be evasive, look confused or give an erroneous response.

- The person implying you're possibly being discriminated against is talking out of their a$$ IMO! That's simply BS. I really hate when people starts throwing the word 'discrimination' for every negative situation/encounter (both real and imaginary by the way).

Now to your specific questions:

1. Since your husband was told at the INFOPASS they have up to 45 days to make a decision, then I suggest you wait out the 45 days (from the interview date) before before getting your congress person involved.

2. Your congress person will not get themselves involved with the nitty gritty details of your case. I mean you ask yourself, for instance, how are they supposed to make a claim of you being discriminated against? There's absolutely no discriminatory evidence based on what you've narrated - the person who told you about being discriminated against is simply getting you wound up over nothing! Anyway a congressional inquiry is simply for moving delayed cases along. If you guys truly feel discriminated against, you should be talking to a lawyer and not your congress person.

Again, I say there's no reason for your file to still be at the NBC! NBC doesn't wait for the background check to clear before forward the case file to the applicable FO. So did they actually say they haven't received your file at the FO and that its still at the NBC pending background check clearance? Did they specifically say it's at the NBC without you prompting them or making mention of NBC when you inquired about your case file?

One thing I've come to know is that when most people go on an INFOPASS, they inadvertently cause the IO they speak with to say precisely, or something similar to what they've been told before by some other source which may not be accurate, and since the IO simply wants to be done with the conversation, he/she may end up saying just that.

Not asking the right set of questions when making an INFOPASS, or using the wrong set of words thereby inadvertently putting word in their mouths will most definitely result in a frustrating experience.

Hi Mom,

My file got the background check cleared and moved to my FO on June 30th. Is it the FO who plan for the interview? how does it take in average to get the interview set up (in Dallas TX)? Do we know?

Let me know,
Cheers,
Jerome

Hi Mom,

My file got the background check cleared and moved to my FO on June 30th. Is it the FO who plan for the interview? how does it take in average to get the interview set up (in Dallas TX)? Do we know?

Let me know,
Cheers,
Jerome
Salut Jerome.

Yes, it is the FO that schedules your interview. If you go over the spreadsheets for this year and previous years, you may have a rough idea how Dallas FO handles interview scheduling for DV AOS cases.

Good luck!

Hi all!

I received my interview letter last friday. Here is my updated timeline for your information:

Case Number: SA11XX
Current: May bulletin (Actual June)
Lockbox: 5/2/16
NOA: 5/19/16 (Text/Email)
Bio Letter: 6/10/16
Bio Appointment: 6/24/16
Interview Letter: 7/8/16
Interview Appointment: 7/22/16

My field office is in Miami FL.

I am excited/nervous for the interview. The letter was more or less generic. It has bullet points with all the documents that I need to bring but some dont apply (i.e. marriage certification, kids information, etc.). The only item that I have some doubts is the following:

- Signed and dated federal, state and local income tax returns, with W-2s and 1099's statements for the prior year.

What do they mean by "Signed" ? I have my W-2 and my form 1040. I have as well a tax return transcripts from the IRS that I had requested. All these was included on my AOS package. I just wonder if there is anything else that I need to do or if it is just the regular stuff.

Thanks and good luck to everybody!

Hi Mom,

Let me know,
Cheers,
Jerome

See @beau's response above ^^