• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Well, I've been reluctant to create a DV 2017 AOS Thread as I wanted an actual selectee to have the honor :p of doing that. However, it looks like we may end up with individual Threads being created if this isn't done soon.

So here's an AOS Thread for the lucky selectees already based in the U.S. and planning on processing AOS. Please go through the attached spreadsheet, (it will do you a world of good), and post subsequent questions regarding the processing on this Thread.

http://goo.gl/0va2DU

Best of luck through the journey!

Hi,
I just want to thank you a lot for this very useful spreadsheet.
I still have few questions,
As an F-1 student can I apply for a work permit?
According to your knowledge, how long do you think it will take to get my interview or work permit? (Case Number AF3XXX)
What are my chances to finalize everything successfully ?
When should I start the process?

Hi,
I just want to thank you a lot for this very useful spreadsheet.
I still have few questions,
As an F-1 student can I apply for a work permit?
According to your knowledge, how long do you think it will take to get my interview or work permit? (Case Number AF3XXX)
What are my chances to finalize everything successfully ?
When should I start the process?

Please go through the AOS process spreadsheet linked to the first post on this Thread. Your list of questions shows you've not taken the time needed to go through the spreadsheet. Go through that first, then feel free to post subsequent questions after that.

Is there are spreadsheet for those who are not AOS? This one is super, but I need one for CP :)

The selectee notification letter and the links it contains has all the information a CP candidate requires - you just need to pay adequate attention to it and follow the links provided on the letter. The CP process is straight forward, unlike AOS.

Read through the google spreadsheet, super helpful!

I'm currently on a H1B in the US (job has foreign work travel to Asia where I'm from and fairly flexible with personal travel), and I am trying to determine between doing CP or AOS. Is one way riskier than the other for someone with a current H1B? I've read through your comparison of CP and AOS, but still am on the fence and my priority is to go with the way that will have a higher guarantee for me to obtain the GC. My CN is AS 72xx. Any advice appreciated, thank you!

The selectee notification letter and the links it contains has all the information a CP candidate requires - you just need to pay adequate attention to it and follow the links provided on the letter. The CP process is straight forward, unlike AOS.
Thank you!

Read through the google spreadsheet, super helpful!

I'm currently on a H1B in the US (job has foreign work travel to Asia where I'm from and fairly flexible with personal travel), and I am trying to determine between doing CP or AOS. Is one way riskier than the other for someone with a current H1B? I've read through your comparison of CP and AOS, but still am on the fence and my priority is to go with the way that will have a higher guarantee for me to obtain the GC. My CN is AS 72xx. Any advice appreciated, thank you!

One question, are you Iranian, or have any connections/travel history in the Middle East?

One question, are you Iranian, or have any connections/travel history in the Middle East?

Haha none at all, and I'm from Malaysia. My work travel is usually in East Asia.

Also, if it helps, I've been in the US for the last 10 years (F1 for my undergrad and grad degrees, OPT, and currently on my 4th year H1b- been with the same employer throughout the last 4 years).

Last edited:
Haha none at all, and I'm from Malaysia. My work travel is usually in East Asia.

Also, if it helps, I've been in the US for the last 10 years (F1 for my undergrad and grad degrees, OPT, and currently on my 4th year H1b- been with the same employer throughout the last 4 years).

Hi @Britsimon, just wanted to see if you have any thoughts about my case whether if I should stick to AOS or consider CP. Thanks again for your help!

Hi all,

I am a DV2017 selectee and now it seems that my spouse will get a L-1 visa in a couple of months and therefore, I will get a L-2 visa. As I wrote in another thread, I have three children, two of them living with my ex. Is AoS possible for us. That is, can my two children living with my ex travel to USA (tourist visa maybe) for AoS so that we all can handle this process there? I guess not, but I would like to be sure.

On a side note, should we postpone the sending of the DS-260s until the L-1 and L-2 visas are OK? That is, could there be a problem for the L-1 process if we have a DS-260/DV process ongoing?

Thank your very much again for your help!

Hi all,

I am a DV2017 selectee and now it seems that my spouse will get a L-1 visa in a couple of months and therefore, I will get a L-2 visa. As I wrote in another thread, I have three children, two of them living with my ex. Is AoS possible for us. That is, can my two children living with my ex travel to USA (tourist visa maybe) for AoS so that we all can handle this process there? I guess not, but I would like to be sure.

On a side note, should we postpone the sending of the DS-260s until the L-1 and L-2 visas are OK? That is, could there be a problem for the L-1 process if we have a DS-260/DV process ongoing?

Further, I guess it is not possible to have different process for different applicant under a certain principal selectee? That is, is it possible if me, my wife and one child utilize AoS and the two children living in current home country utilize CP?

Hi,

I'm selected in DV 2017, but I have some questions.
My case number is 2017AS000001xx.
I think my case will be eligible to be dealt with in Oct. 2016.

First, do I need to file DS260 if I choose the AOS?
If yes, when should I submit it?
I graduate this semester, so I will apply for OPT next week.
If I submit DS260 before my OPT application, my OPT might be failed because of showing immigration intent that I submit DS260?

If I submit DS260 when my OPT is ready (July), will it be too late?
More importantly, I need to go back to my country for these documents for green card in Aug, and back in Sep.
Can I go back US with my F1 visa if I have already submitted DS 260?
Or I can submit DS 260 after I'm back US (Sep.)? will it be too late?

Second, when to submit I485 to USCIS?
When my number is current on the bulletin, then I can mail it to USCIS?
Or I can submit that even before my number is current on the visa bulletin?
Thank you.

Further, I guess it is not possible to have different process for different applicant under a certain principal selectee? That is, is it possible if me, my wife and one child utilize AoS and the two children living in current home country utilize CP?

Yes it is, it's called follow to join (FTJ). The tricky bit is that your case needs to be approved first under AOS, and then the case gets sent to the consulate to process the derivatives still there. So there is a delay between the two. All visas must be finalized and issued before the end of the fiscal year, so this can be tricky if you have a high case number - although we had a case last fiscal year of someone who had a very sympathetic and involved consulate and got the FTJ completed even though his own interview was pretty close to the end of the fiscal year.

Hi all,

It's not advisable for your 2 other kids to enter the US on a NIV with the preconceived intent of processing AOS.

Not a bad idea to postpone the DS-260 form submission. Although going ahead to submit it now shouldn't hurt your L visa processing considering the fact that the L visa is a dual intent visa. However, if I was in your shoes, I would rather conclude the L visa processing first.

It is possible to process both AOS and CP under one principal selectee. However, it's a process that cannot run concurrently, this is known as FTJ (follow to join) - in this case the principal selectee and any other applicable family member process AOS first, and upon the completion of that the CP portion then starts. Bear in mind the CP portion is not automatically done.

FTJ could be rather stressful as you'll need to do a lot of follow up to ensure everything is on track, it's not a process advisable for someone with a high CN to pursue also - and even with a low CN, the AOS portion may still get delayed due to background check issues or the FO bundling AOS cases till a certain period of time before adjudicating them.