• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Hi guys. One question for ethiopian who have already moved to US.
How did you transfer money to US? You know there is no way to send money to US from Ethiopia. It is also impossible to get more than 1,000 dollar conversion from legal banks. It is very small amount to take to US. Any advice please?
Yaa. I have the same issue. I was in commercial bank last week. They told me that there is no way one can get a single dollar above 1000. Really disappointing. How can one immigrant visa holder take only 1000 dollars? What is he/she going to do to the rest of money he/she has? What a rule? Ohhh... I'm happy I'm leaving.
Please help us, anyone with another way of transferring OUR money.

@God-Is-Love , there is poor connection where i am working right, that's why i didn't post my status on real time. I mean right after i saw the message . Thanks god scheduled for april 02.
good luck for all of us who received 2nl.
Thanks sis

Yaa. I have the same issue. I was in commercial bank last week. They told me that there is no way one can get a single dollar above 1000. Really disappointing. How can one immigrant visa holder take only 1000 dollars? What is he/she going to do to the rest of money he/she has? What a rule? Ohhh... I'm happy I'm leaving.
Please help us, anyone with another way of transferring OUR money.

Idiotic rules like this make the country look silly... It forces people onto the black market, with risk of being conned.

Idiotic rules like this make the country look silly... It forces people onto the black market, with risk of being conned.

Oh, there are many countries like this sadly. SA too though the limits have been raised a lot now. I am surprised that there is no higher allowance for emigrants though.

Many tales of how to do this...(not Ethiopia specific)
A common one is via family of people in the US, especially where they (would usually) send money back home - you pay someone in your home country and someone else in the US deposits the dollar equivalent into a bank account there. Of course you need to be able to trust the people involved.

to get a police certificate from Ethiopia you need to have the 2nd notification letter , I am not sure about other countries

AOS will be good for 6 months , so you can it now or later
Dear ZGREAT
what was your move after you received 2NL? I mean What should be my next move and where should I go first?

Dear ZGREAT
what was your move after you received 2NL? I mean What should be my next move and where should I go first?
hey ahadu

my first move was getting a medical appointment and once settled I went to MOFA for authentication of my documents and finally for the police certificate ;

hey ahadu

my first move was getting a medical appointment and once settled I went to MOFA for authentication of my documents and finally for the police certificate ;
thank u ZGREAT....which medical center was u went and how much was the payment?

@Ahadu , ZGREAT uses IOM,
I contacted them through phone , they told me the price is adjusted to 1808birr (for age above 15) and 1440birr per person (age below 15years of old ) you can contact them and arrange an appointment with phone
there phone address :
INTERNATIONAL OFFICE FOR MIGRATION (IOM)
BOLE KEFLE KETEMA, KEBELE 02
Behind Bole DH Geda
TEL: +251-11-661-11-75/17/28/71, +251-11-661-1475/77
+251-11-661-11-66 EXT 116, +251-11-661-1096/97/98
FAX: 011-661-11-76

@ZGREAT is it possible to make police appointment without principal applicant ? I am a bit far from addis , I contacted iom though phone they told me my husband can make an appointment if he has all the necessary document without my presence.
thanks in advance