• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

I suppose you can work it out when you get there but at least you have the option. It's great you have a job already, I bet you can't wait to get over there!

I am very lucky to have a job lined up. Just have to get that damned green thing. Hopefully having a job will go a long way to helping me get that. And yes I'm busting a gasket to get over there. I'm getting so impatient, but I have my dates so I'm on the countdown now and I am so grateful to be having this opportunity and lucky enough to get such a great number. I would love to think we could go current so everyone gets their chance. I guess we will see soon enough....the year is flying by. You must be getting excited since your time is nearly here. I have all my bits crossed for you!

Picked up our Medical packs from Medibank today. The big envelope was sealed and 'Do not Open' written across the tape. With those envelopes were another envelope with our vaccination details. I thought there was only one packet? Do they both get handed over at POE? The checklist states 'Medical Record' - original only, so do we bring both envelopes to the Interview and POE??
That's funny, when I got mine from Medibank, they didn't even bother to seal the envelope so I had a sneak peek! My vaccination records were all in the one envelope, but they gave me a separate sheet with them as well so that might be what you have. The whole 'sealing the medical' thing is kinda pointless anyway because if your X-rays are in there, security at Sydney make you open it and take them out and at the interview itself, they tell you to take everything out of the envelope before handing your documents over and they didn't seem to care less about whether your medical was sealed or not (at least mine didn't).

The only thing I got asked for at POE was the sealed envelope that you get when they send your passport back, they don't ask for any extra medical stuff or even your X-ray as far as I've seen from the POE reports as well as my own. I would take the extra envelope with you to the interview just in case but don't give it to them unless they mention it, it sounds like they just gave you that for your own records.

I suppose you can work it out when you get there but at least you have the option. It's great you have a job already, I bet you can't wait to get over there!

Having a job is an excellent start. me and my wife hope to land something and have a lot of options in terms of where we could be based at.
One advantage I guess of having a management career with Woolies is that the experience can come in handy with any supermarket chain which there is no dearth of in the US.
Here's wishing everyone good luck.

That's funny, when I got mine from Medibank, they didn't even bother to seal the envelope so I had a sneak peek! My vaccination records were all in the one envelope, but they gave me a separate sheet with them as well so that might be what you have. The whole 'sealing the medical' thing is kinda pointless anyway because if your X-rays are in there, security at Sydney make you open it and take them out and at the interview itself, they tell you to take everything out of the envelope before handing your documents over and they didn't seem to care less about whether your medical was sealed or not (at least mine didn't).

The only thing I got asked for at POE was the sealed envelope that you get when they send your passport back, they don't ask for any extra medical stuff or even your X-ray as far as I've seen from the POE reports as well as my own. I would take the extra envelope with you to the interview just in case but don't give it to them unless they mention it, it sounds like they just gave you that for your own records.

Thanks for the info Esssey. Again they are inconsistent, I asked about the Vacc envelope and they didn't have a clue. I'm not going to open mine, especially with the tape and 'do not open' on it. I'm a bit worried about not having the medical record in either envelope. The instructions state 'The physician must provide you with a copy of your vaccination record (DS-3025) which you must present to USCIS upon your adjustment of status'. It will probably be fine if they are opened but I don't want to risk it.

I am very lucky to have a job lined up. Just have to get that damned green thing. Hopefully having a job will go a long way to helping me get that. And yes I'm busting a gasket to get over there. I'm getting so impatient, but I have my dates so I'm on the countdown now and I am so grateful to be having this opportunity and lucky enough to get such a great number. I would love to think we could go current so everyone gets their chance. I guess we will see soon enough....the year is flying by. You must be getting excited since your time is nearly here. I have all my bits crossed for you!

Thanks, we are very excited too. Just finalising our interview docs for Tuesday and I'm on the computer selling stuff tonight. It would be great for lots of the Class of DV2015 to go current too!

I'm a little concerned about not having an address for our Greencard. We currently have our old mailing address in Texas but are most likely moving to Colorado. We can change it up to POE so we have until 8 June. I think I've read we can use a hotel as the address, can anyone comment? Alternatively, does anyone know someone we could use for their address? I know @guestgulkan use to live there.

Having a job is an excellent start. me and my wife hope to land something and have a lot of options in terms of where we could be based at.
One advantage I guess of having a management career with Woolies is that the experience can come in handy with any supermarket chain which there is no dearth of in the US.
Yes, there are LOTS of supermarket chains in the US. We bought lots of store cards home.

Thanks, we are very excited too. Just finalising our interview docs for Tuesday and I'm on the computer selling stuff tonight. It would be great for lots of the Class of DV2015 to go current too!

I'm a little concerned about not having an address for our Greencard. We currently have our old mailing address in Texas but are most likely moving to Colorado. We can change it up to POE so we have until 8 June. I think I've read we can use a hotel as the address, can anyone comment? Alternatively, does anyone know someone we could use for their address? I know @guestgulkan use to live there.

I am going to put my boss' address for mine, but I have not run this by her yet. Do you know whose name they deliver to? For instance if it was addressed to me at her address she would know it would be for me, and either give it to me or forward it on, but if it was addressed to you at her address she may redirect it thinking it was misdirected mail. And since it could be some months down the track I may not be there if the job doesn't work out.

Yes there is no shortage of supermarkets that's for sure

The problem with using a hotel address is that it could be over 6 months before they send your Green Card. I highly doubt you'll still be at that same hotel or that they'll be prepared to keep a look out for it and notify you when it arrives. Do you have any other friends in the US you could send it to? It doesn't necessarily need to be near you as they can then send it on or you can pick it up from them. I have used an address in Kansas for my Green Card even though I'm going to be based in LA because it was the most reliable address. Perhaps there's someone on here that's will be moving before you that will be living in the Colorado area who could help too?

thanks @Deb7a, I ordered it last Thursday night, and got an email on Friday afternoon saying:

'We are pleased to confirm that your National Police Check (NPC) has been completed and your certificate will be dispatched via the next available Australia Post service to your nominated mailing address'.

I expected it to have been delivered already, fingers crossed it comes today or tomorrow

thanks @Deb7a, I ordered it last Thursday night, and got an email on Friday afternoon saying:

'We are pleased to confirm that your National Police Check (NPC) has been completed and your certificate will be dispatched via the next available Australia Post service to your nominated mailing address'.

I expected it to have been delivered already, fingers crossed it comes today or tomorrow

It shouldn't be far away, I ordered the same time as you and got it on Tuesday. So surely today or tomorrow

My US buddy started getting unreliable, that's why I started using Shipito to store my US mail. I've been away too long!

For you and connectedspace and other borderline case numbers - this could be interesting...

http://britsimonsays.com/response-rate-low/

I don't know if you've ever read the book Freakonomics? Quite interesting the way humans counter-intuitively respond to situations.

When I was in University 10 or so years ago we had student union elections and the University shifted from a paper ballot to an electronic on-line ballot. The electronic voting was fast and simple, but the number of students voting dropped to less than 1%. There could be factors at play such as mistrust of the anonymity programming, but my impression was the students weren't taking an online election seriously.

Perhaps in Africa it is more difficult to access the internet and the paper application was actually easier?

I don't know if you've ever read the book Freakonomics? Quite interesting the way humans counter-intuitively respond to situations.

When I was in University 10 or so years ago we had student union elections and the University shifted from a paper ballot to an electronic on-line ballot. The electronic voting was fast and simple, but the number of students voting dropped to less than 1%. There could be factors at play such as mistrust of the anonymity programming, but my impression was the students weren't taking an online election seriously.

Perhaps in Africa it is more difficult to access the internet and the paper application was actually easier?

Perhaps so. Even if it puts a few people off, there could be a noticeable impact...