• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Hello guys. my Sis made her interview and she took the requirements of the Addis Embassy to the UAE one. the Addis Embassy no longer require the Affidavit Of Support so I advised her not to bother about it but....unfortunately, it was mandatory thing there. They gave her a paper of reminder to bring that support. had she been interviewed here, she would have been skipped that part. we are working on it now. thanks guys for your best wish and support.
Oh. Sorry to hear that. Try to prepare the form as soon as possible.
I think the US embassy in UAE is strict about AoS. The same thing happened before.

I would like to thank you very much and Mr.Simon for your guidance. My Interview was on Dec, first at US Abu Dhabi Embassy. It went successfully. The consul ask me how much saving I have ,I replied that I do not have much saving only $3000,but I will get my service end benefits which is about $80,000..The only supporting documents from my employee was employment letter and salary certificate , but I had I-134 originally signed.

Once again thank you very moderators

Last edited:
I'm sorry your sisters case has been put on AP hopefully it will be resolved quickly.

The reason we beat the drum about the requirements being the requirements is because people like your sister will hear incorrect information and some people will lose their visas over that (because AP that crosses a month requires a re-allocation of the visa slot). In your case you not only misinformed your sister but you just repeated the same misinformation in your post. I don't mean to criticize you, I am just pointing out how well intended help can cause problems.

IT is not correct to say "Addis Embassy no longer require the Affidavit Of Support". Every case has to meet the standard of the CO being assured that the selectee will not become a public charge. That standard is addressed in different ways around the globe. In some embassies (such as Addis) most applicants will be asked about a host. If there is a host and particularly if that host is a close relative or friend, that will satisfy the CO. However, if there is no host then the CO might have concerns about public charge and ask for an AoS or proof of assets/savings. So, an AOS being needed in Addis would be very rare. However, the "host system" is not recognized in all other embassies - so that is a good reason to understand the real requirement and think how it applies to your case.
You are right @Britsimon. I heard you say the same thing many times in different ways. I think the above case gives great lesson.
But I want to ask you something.
Can @syda's sis present proof of personal assets or bank statement once her case is on AP? Or should the proof be only in AoS form?

Last edited:
You are right @Britsimon. I heard you say the same thing many times in different ways. I think the above case gives great lesson.
Can @syda's sis present proof of personal assets or bank statement once her case is on AP? Or should the proof be only in AoS form?

If an petitioner has been put on AP and is asked to present an affidavit of support, that is what has to be presented.

Bad information is like playing "telephone". The information gets twisted little by little and in the end someone suffers. The good thing for Sydas sister is that this is early in the year - in a few months time that same mistake would have been much more costly...

If an petitioner has been put on AP and is asked to present an affidavit of support, that is what has to be presented.

Exactly as Mom says. I think someone could try and show personal assets/savings, but it would be likely to fail to remove the AP - because the CO has asked for the I134 and that is what they will want. The ideal is to go to the interview prepared for anything....

Hello guys. my Sis made her interview and she took the requirements of the Addis Embassy to the UAE one. the Addis Embassy no longer require the Affidavit Of Support so I advised her not to bother about it but....unfortunately, it was mandatory thing there. They gave her a paper of reminder to bring that support. had she been interviewed here, she would have been skipped that part. we are working on it now. thanks guys for your best wish and support.
so pity ; bit she will take her visa once she took the needed AOs

thanks @Sm1smom and @Britsimon. I got it. The CO wants to see AoS because it is already requested once.
To add one more question, is there any possibility that CO asks to present only AoS as a financial proof at the original interview time?(not the AP case) Or is a bank statement "equally" acceptable as AoS?

thanks @Sm1smom and @Britsimon. I got it. The CO wants to see AoS because it is already requested once.
To add one more question, is there any possibility that CO asks to present only AoS as a financial proof at the original interview time?(not the AP case) Or is a bank statement "equally" acceptable as AoS?

There are some embassies that seem to expect the AoS in all cases. That really isn't according to the rules which specifically say the CO should consider the totality of the circumstances. So - if a selectee turned up to an interview with verifiable bank statements and adequate proof of (for arguments sake) $100,000 that should be the end of the public charge concern in any embassy (as long as the CO "trusted" the documents). There are some embassies that will refuse to treat bank statements as trustworthy because of forgery/poor record keeping concerns.

yup! that was a distorted information I passed to her I admit. one thing though, we were searching for that AoS provider and some close person is about to do it. the thing is, we already filled a person as a sponsor (the address which the green card is going to be given) does different address of the AoS than that affect the process? which can be the primary sponsor in this case..... the AoS provider or the mailing address of the green card providor? is it better the new Aos providor fill the form as a cosponsor or primary one? thanks.

yup! that was a distorted information I passed to her I admit. one thing though, we were searching for that AoS provider and some close person is about to do it. the thing is, we already filled a person as a sponsor (the address which the green card is going to be given) does different address of the AoS than that affect the process? which can be the primary sponsor in this case..... the AoS provider or the mailing address of the green card providor? is it better the new Aos providor fill the form as a cosponsor or primary one? thanks.

If you were interviewing in Ethiopia they would take the US address that you provided as your host, and in that sense they would ask about your relationship with that host to test the closeness of the relationship. A host is providing support - and some embassies are satisfied with that.

UAE however have asked for the I134. That can be completed by anyone legally resident in the USA (although a citizen/LPR is best). The address of the sponsor could be different from the host address she gave already because it relates to financial support. Please make sure the sponsor does not limit the term of the support (Q11 on the form) in any way as that can cause problems. The I134 should be an original copy (not via email) and should be accompanied by tax records (W2 or 1040) as well as ID information (passport/driving license etc).

Also - make sure the sponsors income meets the federal poverty guidelines. More info in the link below.

http://britsimonsays.com/all-about-public-charge-affidavit-of-support-i-134/

So, did the CO tell her to bring the AoS anytime she gets it? I mean can she go to the embassy anytime she gets the paper? Or does she expect any call from the embassy?

is it necessary to authenticate birth certificate by kifleketema/kebele at the back if the certificate is less than six months old.?
The main authentication is done at ministry of foreign affairs. But MoF wants to see stamp and signature of 'kifleketema' as primary authentication only if your birth certificate is more than six months old. So, no need of authentication at 'kifleketema' for a birth or marriage certificate of less than six months old.

There are some embassies that seem to expect the AoS in all cases. That really isn't according to the rules which specifically say the CO should consider the totality of the circumstances. So - if a selectee turned up to an interview with verifiable bank statements and adequate proof of (for arguments sake) $100,000 that should be the end of the public charge concern in any embassy (as long as the CO "trusted" the documents). There are some embassies that will refuse to treat bank statements as trustworthy because of forgery/poor record keeping concerns.
I think you wanted to say $10,000.

@Britsimon thank you so much. That's so informative and helpful. @God-Is-Love, they gave her a checklist paper to bring back along with the AoS. they told her she can restart the process any time but taking into account the expiry time of the medical result and visa issuance period. i.e september. but we are moving as fast as we can.

@Britsimon thank you so much. That's so informative and helpful. @God-Is-Love, they gave her a checklist paper to bring back along with the AoS. they told her she can restart the process any time but taking into account the expiry time of the medical result and visa issuance period. i.e september. but we are moving as fast as we can.

If the interview happened in January there is good reason to get the I134 back to them before the end of the month. Once an AP case crosses a month end, the embassy returns the allocated slot to KCC. Once the AP is resolved in a later month (even a few days into February let's say) then they will have to re-allocate a visa - you are then forced to wait some unpredictable time. If on the other hand you get the form back by about the 25 Jan (i.e. giving them a few days to review it), you might find your case gets issued within a day or two (since they already have "your" visa allocated).

Hi my people!

It's been almost two months since the winners are announced for DV 2015 but i don't see winners from my country. Please let's use this thread for 2015 Ethiopian DV winners. Ask, answer and participate. All will be benefiting and helping each other. We, the 2014 DV winners, will be by your side to help any time.

Come, participate. Information is power, i learned it from this forum! CHEERS!:D
Hi my people!

It's been almost two months since the winners are announced for DV 2015 but i don't see winners from my country. Please let's use this thread for 2015 Ethiopian DV winners. Ask, answer and participate. All will be benefiting and helping each other. We, the 2014 DV winners, will be by your side to help any time.

Come, participate. Information is power, i learned it from this forum! CHEERS!:D

hy guyz my lovely brothers pls reply me that what is gonna be happen if I didn't pass at least 5 subject in 12th grade exam what does they mean?

hy guyz my lovely brothers pls reply me that what is gonna be happen if I didn't pass at least 5 subject in 12th grade exam what does they mean?
This is the official page of the embassy.
www.ethiopia.usembassy.gov/mobile//dv_requirements.html
It says ....
The following is a list of requirements for
all DV applicants. If you do not fulfill these requirements, you will not be issued a visa.
Here is the educational qualification requirements.
-An Ethiopian Leaving Certificate
Examination (12th grade) showing at least 5 passing grades, (or)
-A 12th grade ESLCE and a Teacher
Training certificate, (or)
-Proof of graduation from the
Ethiopian Military Academy (or
Proof of graduation from a TVET
10+3 program. New TVET
certificates documenting levels of
achievement are not accepted
because they do not meet the
minimum requirement of 12 years
of basic education. Any educational
document presented may be subject to independent verification by U.S. Embassy staff.

This is the official page of the embassy.
www.ethiopia.usembassy.gov/mobile//dv_requirements.html
It says ....
The following is a list of requirements for
all DV applicants. If you do not fulfill these requirements, you will not be issued a visa.
Here is the educational qualification requirements.
-An Ethiopian Leaving Certificate
Examination (12th grade) showing at least 5 passing grades, (or)
-A 12th grade ESLCE and a Teacher
Training certificate, (or)
-Proof of graduation from the
Ethiopian Military Academy (or
Proof of graduation from a TVET
10+3 program. New TVET
certificates documenting levels of
achievement are not accepted
because they do not meet the
minimum requirement of 12 years
of basic education. Any educational
document presented may be subject to independent verification by U.S. Embassy staff.
btw @God-Is-Love do we have a clear cutoff for grade 12 passing mark ; is it 50 out of 100 or below that ?