• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

Vocational education is specifically mentioned in the laws as not being acceptable. The key is the statement that she searched for so it is VERY good that you could point to that on your papers. Many people think the higher degrees means they are qualified. Strictly speaking - it does not, so I am glad it worked out for you. Congratulations!

To help others, where was your education taken and where did you interview?

Thanks Britsimon ;) Yes, I know that the education that’s called ‘vocational’ in the US is not accepted for the DV visa but I think the issue is that something is lost in translation with this word when you look at the 3 options that a student has in Hungary – where I’m from - after finishing primary school (at least in my days):

1. High school – standard high school, usually 4 years from age 14 to 18, after final exam (similar to UK A levels) you can go to uni

2. Vocational high school – same as high school but also specializes in a non-manual profession or subject such as economics, etc. Usually 4 years from age 14 to 18, after final exam (similar to UK A levels) you can go to uni

3. Vocational school – not considered “high” school, specializes in a manual trade such as hairdressing, machinery, etc. Usually 3 years from age 14 to 17, can not go to uni after this

So I attended the 2nd type of school and of course I did not expect the consular officer in London, where I interviewed, to know anything about the Hungarian education system but in Hungary, the US embassy in Budapest accepts the first 2 types of high schools for green card applications but not the 3rd one – I know of many people who kissed goodbye to their visas because they only had that 3rd type of education. Oh well, I’m just glad I could point out that phrase and my case was approved. Would have been more straight forward though to do the interview in Hungary :)

Reactions: esa
Hi all, thanks for the good luck wishes. We got our visa approved today. It was fast, we entered the embassy, submitted the paperwork, paid the fee and sat waiting fo 15 min. Then we were called to the window and asked to take the oath and got fingerprinted. We got asked a few questions about our education, and work history, why we wanted to move to the US and what we were planning to do there. Then we were told that our visas were approved and that our passports would be sent to us in about a week. All in all it took approximately 45 min from we entered the embassy till we left.
Congrats DrStein!! Easy and peachy! :D

Thanks Britsimon ;) Yes, I know that the education that’s called ‘vocational’ in the US is not accepted for the DV visa but I think the issue is that something is lost in translation with this word when you look at the 3 options that a student has in Hungary – where I’m from - after finishing primary school (at least in my days):

1. High school – standard high school, usually 4 years from age 14 to 18, after final exam (similar to UK A levels) you can go to uni

2. Vocational high school – same as high school but also specializes in a non-manual profession or subject such as economics, etc. Usually 4 years from age 14 to 18, after final exam (similar to UK A levels) you can go to uni

3. Vocational school – not considered “high” school, specializes in a manual trade such as hairdressing, machinery, etc. Usually 3 years from age 14 to 17, can not go to uni after this

So I attended the 2nd type of school and of course I did not expect the consular officer in London, where I interviewed, to know anything about the Hungarian education system but in Hungary, the US embassy in Budapest accepts the first 2 types of high schools for green card applications but not the 3rd one – I know of many people who kissed goodbye to their visas because they only had that 3rd type of education. Oh well, I’m just glad I could point out that phrase and my case was approved. Would have been more straight forward though to do the interview in Hungary :)

We all who didn't get their interview dates are reading experiences like yours . In every approval or AP or refuses we are learning new things . Thanks a lot about your sharings and wish you luck in your new life in USA.

Awesome - thanks for that extra information. The difference between 2 and 3 (in a sense) is that option 3 is providing vocational training as opposed to the ongoing education (general education) offered in 2. Again, I'm glad you were informed/prepared. That could have caught others out...

any help for me please from someone who did medicals at IOM pleaseeee medical test at IOM, what is requeired to be done from test please, xray, blood, what else, vaccination or something. I dont have vaccination record, will that be a problem, I have vaccination record for my kids only.

britsimon thanks for my first and second question
Hi Redwings, congrats on your interview. If you are in Prishtina, go to Family Medical Centre (Qendra e Mjekesise Familjare), look for vaccination wing and tell the doctors you need a vaccination card for a visa for US. After you get the card, make an appointment with IOM medical and the doctor there will tell you what else you need.

Congrats to all who got approved. @Bleri sorry to hear about your AP, I think you will easily get through when you find a new sponsor. yeah, the CO's sometimes are odd, I can't beleive they asked you to prove you marriage as bona fide. I actually got married after the entry but before I was selected. Actuall we've been living together since our son was born, who is 5 now. I am very worried, whether the CO sticks to that. I don't even know if it worths taking photos along with us ????

Congrats to all who got approved. @Bleri sorry to hear about your AP, I think you will easily get through when you find a new sponsor. yeah, the CO's sometimes are odd, I can't beleive they asked you to prove you marriage as bona fide. I actually got married after the entry but before I was selected. Actuall we've been living together since our son was born, who is 5 now. I am very worried, whether the CO sticks to that. I don't even know if it worths taking photos along with us ????

Hi Sunny Girl, I think your son himself is a great proof that your relationship is genuine. :) But I think you still can take photos and stuff you think could be useful, worst case scenario is that you won't even be asked to show them.

Hi Sunny Girl, I think your son himself is a great proof that your relationship is genuine. :) But I think you still can take photos and stuff you think could be useful, worst case scenario is that you won't even be asked to show them.
:D hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, you made me laugh so bad... I wish they won't.

:)hello europe,
I am new to this forum, but it doesnt mean that I havent read this threads.

I am from Kosovo, EU 14k number, my 2NL is up, interview is confirmed for next month. I read a lot here and I am worried about AP status of some candidates, hope they will be OK.

I have a few questions here please:

I have High School Diploma and 4 transcripts 4 years, is that enough, I also have Elementary Diploma with 8 years +transcripts, do I have to take in the interview also my Elementary Diploma. In total I have 12 years, is that OK, please.

about proof of funds, I have 20.000€ /$24k in the bank for the last 4 years, is that OK for a family of 4, or do I have to look for avidavit support.

medical test at IOM, what is requeired to be done from test please, xray, blood, what else, vaccination or something. I dont have vaccination record, will that be a problem, I have vaccination record for my kids only.

Thanks a lot and God bless you all,
:)

Congrats on being selected @redwings_usa ! When did you submit your eforms and which embassy are you going to make the interview?

:D hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, you made me laugh so bad... I wish they won't.

haha agree with @Sunshine15 :D
I don't think they will ask you at all...(being that you have a child) but just in case, take some family pics with you.
As far as I heard from two other young couples that were there that day, they requested pics from them too. But they weren't married at the time they won the lottery (they had applied for the DV separately).

Hi Redwings, congrats on your interview. If you are in Prishtina, go to Family Medical Centre (Qendra e Mjekesise Familjare), look for vaccination wing and tell the doctors you need a vaccination card for a visa for US. After you get the card, make an appointment with IOM medical and the doctor there will tell you what else you need.

LUL thanks bro, where is FMC in the city , is that closed or between Qafa and sheshi, if yes how many days will take to get that card. Thanka a lot for your help

LUL thanks bro, where is FMC in the city , is that closed or between Qafa and sheshi, if yes how many days will take to get that card. Thanka a lot for your help
Between Qafa and sheshi (Shtepia e shendetit). It takes 15 minutes. They will give you 3 shots (basic vaccines that you already got as child - easy-peasy), they will fill the card and give it to you.

Between Qafa and sheshi (Shtepia e shendetit). It takes 15 minutes. They will give you 3 shots (basic vaccines that you already got as child - easy-peasy), they will fill the card and give it to you.

can I do it within a day...

thanks ma man, God Bless you

Hi All,

I wanted to start a thread (copying the one of OC) for fellow DV 2015 winners from Europe to share thoughts, stories and progress.

I would like us to keep track with a list of all members and their status.

Flori,

I've just updated your spreadsheet with my case.

Thanks,
Adalb

Hi,

My case number is EU 24***, I assume my interview is coming up in April/May/June. As I prepare the docs for it, I am wondering about the following point:

I am hopeful regarding the outcome of my interview, but what are the most common reasons for getting turned down in the interview? I'm from a western European country, my documents all seem to be in good shape. Is there anything else that lets people fail the interview?