• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

Very interesting posts @Britsimon and very clear. The only thing i don't understand is why in the paper they gave us it is stated "Sponsor must meet 125% of poverty guidliness......" bohh I don't know... All i can say is to be sure I'm gonna ask one of my "rich" relatives :) for a new affidavit :)

I'm glad you're bringing up the fact that the paper the embassy gave you states the sponsor's income needs to meet the 125% income poverty level.

@Britsimon and I almost beat up each :p other a couple of months ago over whether the income level should be at 100% or 125% level. Even though the 9FAM visa manual states the 125% income level required for an I-864 is not applicable to DV applicants, I've always been of the opinion that the embassy/USCIS will equally go by the 125% poverty guideline level when it comes to using an I-134 by DV applicants. The link I earlier on provided above is for the 125% poverty guideline and that's the link I personally have been pointing DV applicants to.

AFAIK the 100% poverty guideline is used by other government agencies in determining applicable benefits level. For DV purpose, if an applicant is planning on using their personal savings to prove they will not become a public charge the 100% poverty guideline can be used, but if the plan is to submit an affidavit of support (I-134) the person should just go with the 125% poverty guideline to avoid being put on AP as that is what the IO is likely to compare the income to.

Fingers crossed @Flori_ALB_NY Faleminderit :)
I really hope evrth goes smoothly and we get it. Now we're just arranging a new AOS...
And about the pics you're suggesting, well I guess we'll do that, as we've no babies yet :p :D
Good luck to you too!

Hi Bleri, sorry to hear your case was put on AP but good luck with getting a new affidavit or some kind of proof of support with sufficient funds that meet the requirements and once that's sorted out, I'm positive you'll get your permanent resident status. So chin up! ;)

Are you saying that an infant has the same weight as an adult while calculating the sponsorship ?! If someone would not need the sponsorship but show evidence of his savings then an infant would have not the same weight in calculations as an adult...

Have you seen the cost of diapers? You're correct, I think an infant costs more than an adult :p

Very interesting posts @Britsimon and very clear. The only thing i don't understand is why in the paper they gave us it is stated "Sponsor must meet 125% of poverty guidliness......" bohh I don't know... All i can say is to be sure I'm gonna ask one of my "rich" relatives :) for a new affidavit :)

If they are asking for 125% and they are referring to a I-134 - then the embassy have that wrong. My links make that distinction clear. If they have refused to accept it on the bases of the 100% versus 125% you could probably argue that with them - but getting a new sponsor would be safer since CP cases cannot be appealed (so it would take more guts to argue with the CO).

I'm glad you're bringing up the fact that the paper the embassy gave you states the sponsor's income needs to meet the 125% income poverty level.

@Britsimon and I almost beat up each :p other a couple of months ago over whether the income level should be at 100% or 125% level. Even though the 9FAM visa manual states the 125% income level required for an I-864 is not applicable to DV applicants, I've always been of the opinion that the embassy/USCIS will equally go by the 125% poverty guideline level when it comes to using an I-134 by DV applicants. The link I earlier on provided above is for the 125% poverty guideline and that's the link I personally have been pointing DV applicants to.

AFAIK the 100% poverty guideline is used by other government agencies in determining applicable benefits level. For DV purpose, if an applicant is planning on using their personal savings to prove they will not become a public charge the 100% poverty guideline can be used, but if the plan is to submit an affidavit of support (I-134) the person should just go with the 125% poverty guideline to avoid being put on AP as that is what the IO is likely to compare the income to.

FIGGGGHHHHT!!!!

:D:p:D

I seem to have missed the last simon vs mom fight. Won't make that mistake again!

{ gets out popcorn }

If they are asking for 125% and they are referring to a I-134 - then the embassy have that wrong. My links make that distinction clear. If they have refused to accept it on the bases of the 100% versus 125% you could probably argue that with them - but getting a new sponsor would be safer since CP cases cannot be appealed (so it would take more guts to argue with the CO).

Yep! Argue with the CO over whether the I-134 sponsor should have an income of 100% or 124% above the poverty level guideline and you can kiss your visa goodbye

806367.gif

Yep! Argue with the CO over whether the I-134 sponsor should have an income of 100% or 124% above the poverty level guideline and you can kiss your visa goodbye

806367.gif

LOL - love that gif.

Yeah I must admit - I would be tempted to argue it - but I would not recommend that approach to anyone else!

It is exactly like riding a motorbike. Often I am in a situation where I can say with 100% certainty that I am in the right and the truck driver is in the wrong. However, since the truck could wipe me and my little motorbike and I all over the road, sometimes I decide not to press my luck.....

LOL - love that gif.

Yeah I must admit - I would be tempted to argue it - but I would not recommend that approach to anyone else!

It is exactly like riding a motorbike. Often I am in a situation where I can say with 100% certainty that I am in the right and the truck driver is in the wrong. However, since the truck could wipe me and my little motorbike and I all over the road, sometimes I decide not to press my luck.....

Yeah Simon, pull your bike aside and let the trucker go ;)

:)hello europe,
I am new to this forum, but it doesnt mean that I havent read this threads.

I am from Kosovo, EU 14k number, my 2NL is up, interview is confirmed for next month. I read a lot here and I am worried about AP status of some candidates, hope they will be OK.

I have a few questions here please:

I have High School Diploma and 4 transcripts 4 years, is that enough, I also have Elementary Diploma with 8 years +transcripts, do I have to take in the interview also my Elementary Diploma. In total I have 12 years, is that OK, please.

about proof of funds, I have 20.000€ /$24k in the bank for the last 4 years, is that OK for a family of 4, or do I have to look for avidavit support.

medical test at IOM, what is requeired to be done from test please, xray, blood, what else, vaccination or something. I dont have vaccination record, will that be a problem, I have vaccination record for my kids only.

Thanks a lot and God bless you all,
:)

:)hello europe,
I am new to this forum, but it doesnt mean that I havent read this threads.

I am from Kosovo, EU 14k number, my 2NL is up, interview is confirmed for next month. I read a lot here and I am worried about AP status of some candidates, hope they will be OK.

I have a few questions here please:

I have High School Diploma and 4 transcripts 4 years, is that enough, I also have Elementary Diploma with 8 years +transcripts, do I have to take in the interview also my Elementary Diploma. In total I have 12 years, is that OK, please.

about proof of funds, I have 20.000€ /$24k in the bank for the last 4 years, is that OK for a family of 4, or do I have to look for avidavit support.

medical test at IOM, what is requeired to be done from test please, xray, blood, what else, vaccination or something. I dont have vaccination record, will that be a problem, I have vaccination record for my kids only.

Thanks a lot and God bless you all,
:)

1. Take all the education proof you can (for the principal selectee). The 12 years you mention should be enough.
  2. The funds sound fine - it is slightly below the guidelines, but close enough that it should not be an issue. Take proof (or at least a statement) of other assets you will liquidate such as house cars etc.
  3. The physician will recommend (and administer probably for a fee) any vaccinations you may be missing. You might be able to save some money by redoing shots with your own doctor...

Hi Bleri, sorry to hear your case was put on AP but good luck with getting a new affidavit or some kind of proof of support with sufficient funds that meet the requirements and once that's sorted out, I'm positive you'll get your permanent resident status. So chin up! ;)

Fingers crossed dear @Sunshine15 :D thank you for the positive words!
How did yours go? It was scheduled for today right? I really hope you got it :D we need some positive spirit in here :)

Hi guys,
Just finished our visa interview... Put on AP :(
Ok so here's how it went...
My husband and I got married on May 2013 (so 5 months before even applying for the DV2015)
Today the visa officer insisted soooo much on us providing proof of our relationship (not marriage certificate or legal proof...but other info to prove it) o_O
We said we didn't know they needed it (as it was not mentioned in the list of the docs requested) and she said then that they ask for that bcz my we got married after my husband won the lottery... :eek:
We explained VERY CLEARLY that we had already been married one year before we won the lottery. At that point I think she rechecked the papers and asked no further questions about our relationship.
She then raised her voice and switched from Albanian language to English. Asked a few other questions about high school (which we answered) and at the end she got up...went to the other office and came back with a piece of paper telling us we need to get a new sponsor as the one we had couldn't support us as he was below the poverty line. :( :(
I really got no idea which the poverty line is :'( (does anyone know ???????????) but the fact is that we have to find a new sponsor ASAP and sent the form again to the embassy via courier.
It was a shock really. We're sad and disappointed. I don't really know if they are gonna issue us the visa even if we provide a new affidavit of support... Is there any other case like ours and how did it end??? Does anyone know anything about similar cases?
I just feel hopeless, not bcz we can't find a new sponsor but bcz it seems like it's over. :(

Sory to hear your AP but I'm sure that you will solve this problem soon. Wish you good luck .

Thank you all for the well wishes, I got my visa approved today. I did sweat though for about 5 minutes while the consular officer questioned and doubted me about the validity of my high school degree (even though I have 21 years of studies altogether and she had my home country bachelors and UK masters degree as well…).... oh yes, the disadvantages of not doing your interview in your home country but somewhere else where they don't know what your papers are worth....So the consular officer lady asked many probing questions because in the US they don’t have the type of high school that’s well known in continental Europe so she wasn’t familiar with ‘vocational high schools’, where students don’t only graduate (entitling them for tertiary education) but also study a profession, eg. finance, tourism, etc., ending up with a professional qualification plus high school certificate. She thought that type of education wouldn’t lead straight to university and asked me if I worked in the profession that I studied in secondary school. I said no, never. Then she asked me what I did after high school and I pointed out that I started my bachelors in the same year when I finished high school, so started uni right away. Then she said she did not see anywhere on my high school degree that my secondary studies would entitle me to apply for higher education (she did this with my bachelors and masters degrees in her hand o_Oo_Oo_O....) I told her that it was stated explicitly on the paper. She kept reading it, and I was just thinking to myself, I don’t want to be put on AP, no AP, no AP :confused: She then said she couldn’t find anything about it… I pointed out with my fingers the paragraph that read on my high school certificate “this certificate of efficiency of the specialized secondary school that entitles the student to enrol at an institution for higher education”. She looked at it for what seemed like eternity then said, okay I’m going to approve your application. Sigh… ;):)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the well wishes, I got my visa approved today. I did sweat though for about 5 minutes while the consular officer questioned and doubted me about the validity of my high school degree (even though I have 21 years of studies altogether and she had my home country bachelors and UK masters degree as well…).... oh yes, the disadvantages of not doing your interview in your home country but somewhere else where they don't know what your papers are worth....So the consular officer lady asked many probing questions because in the US they don’t have the type of high school that’s well known in continental Europe so she wasn’t familiar with ‘vocational high schools’, where students don’t only graduate (entitling them for tertiary education) but also study a profession, eg. finance, tourism, etc., ending up with a professional qualification plus high school certificate. She thought that type of education wouldn’t lead straight to university and asked me if I worked in the profession that I studied in secondary school. I said no, never. Then she asked me what I did after high school and I pointed out that I started my bachelors in the same year when I finished high school, so started uni right away. Then she said she did not see anywhere on my high school degree that my secondary studies would entitle me to apply for higher education (she did this with my bachelors and masters degrees in her hand o_Oo_Oo_O....) I told her that it was stated explicitly on the paper. She kept reading it, and I was just thinking to myself, I don’t want to be put on AP, no AP, no AP :confused: She then said she couldn’t find anything about it… I pointed out with my fingers the paragraph that read on my high school certificate “this certificate of efficiency of the specialized secondary school that entitles the student to enrol at an institution for higher education”. She looked at it for what seemed like eternity then said, okay I’m going to approve your application. Sigh… ;):)

Vocational education is specifically mentioned in the laws as not being acceptable. The key is the statement that she searched for so it is VERY good that you could point to that on your papers. Many people think the higher degrees means they are qualified. Strictly speaking - it does not, so I am glad it worked out for you. Congratulations!

To help others, where was your education taken and where did you interview?

Ughhh I know the feeling :D seconds of "eternity" ;)
I'm happy for you! Best of luck with your new life in US :D yeppiii yeppiii :D

any help for me please from someone who did medicals at IOM pleaseeee medical test at IOM, what is requeired to be done from test please, xray, blood, what else, vaccination or something. I dont have vaccination record, will that be a problem, I have vaccination record for my kids only.

britsimon thanks for my first and second question

Hi all, thanks for the good luck wishes. We got our visa approved today. It was fast, we entered the embassy, submitted the paperwork, paid the fee and sat waiting fo 15 min. Then we were called to the window and asked to take the oath and got fingerprinted. We got asked a few questions about our education, and work history, why we wanted to move to the US and what we were planning to do there. Then we were told that our visas were approved and that our passports would be sent to us in about a week. All in all it took approximately 45 min from we entered the embassy till we left.